Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 ITASCA has had Rust since the first year I had it. Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, how was it corrected? I thought at first it would be a case of just spraying Rust-Oleum inside the air space and outsides. Needless to say it didn't work.
Dealer has shrugged it's shoulders for years about this. However, very happy to sell me another unit DP. No body shops with a big enough garage around here to handle it.
HAS NOT BEEN DRIVEN IN SNOW ETC.....
CapeCodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 ITASCA has had Rust since the first year I had it. Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, how was it corrected? I thought at first it would be a case of just spraying Rust-Oleum inside the air space and outsides. Needless to say it didn't work.
Dealer has shrugged it's shoulders for years about this. However, very happy to sell me another unit DP. No body shops with a big enough garage around here to handle it.
HAS NOT BEEN DRIVEN IN SNOW ETC.....
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If it is rust in and around your bay compartments, that's pretty common. Some chassis rust is normal and no cause for alarm or mitigation.

I think it was Gary (smlranger) who did a nice job of rust treatment on one of his bays. Do a forum search for rust - we have kicked this around quite a bit in the past.

Glad to have you in the forum - welcome

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I spend 2 or 3 days every year fighting the rust at the bottom of the storage areas and any metal underneath. I paint on a rust preventative or stop and then just use rustoleum spray and brush paint (for the tough areas). The RV's should have been undercoated.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
--snip--The RV's should have been undercoated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We ordered ours with undercoating and I'm glad I did. However that still doesn't prevent the edges and the inside of some bays from rusting. We particularly have a problem in the plumbing bay, but it's not that serious fortunately.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My 04 Journey has the same problem.I'm fighting that problem around my cargo bays all the time. I just finish another section today. It's allways along the edge of the metal. I beleive that they did not prep the metal. There is no primer under the paint and the metal looks like there was no prep work.. I care a wire brush. sand paper, primer and paint with me all the time.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank all of you. Looks like I have a lot work ahead of me. The hardest part on 2004 Itasca will be the trim in the rear. Need to remove the vertical strips and paint them too.
Also confirms what I was feared. This is a common problem for Winnie products.
Again, Thank all of you for your input.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Edw
Winnebago Watcher

I use a product called "Rust Destroyer" purchase online or McMaster Carr.
5 year rust protection applied over rust. I wire brushed the rust, blew it off with compressed air and painted. Goes on red and seems to grip real good. Can topcoat with anything according to manufacturer. Worked my way around under and behind storage doors when opened. Also did the 24 gal propane tank. Makes the machine and me happy to stop the rust.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Surficial rust isn't particular to Winnies. It occurs in virtually all rigs that have steel components. Rust removal and prevention is simply one more item on the list. Motorhomes are often referred to as "rolling maintenance".

In truth, dealing with the rust isn't all that bad. I use a "soft" wire wheel that attaches to a drill to remove any rust and loose paint. I've used commercial rust removers before but the brush is faster and more thorough. Over time, you will notice that the rusting slows down because of all the paint. Best of luck.

Jack