Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Rotella oil in Onan Generator?

Does anyone see any issue with using Rotella engine oil 15w 40 for a Onan 5500 Generator?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...-Oil/181236405

I saw being used in a youtube video and noticed that it is technically a diesel oil Not certain that makes a difference. May actually be better.

I am in an area where temperature tops 100 degrees so I decide to go with the 15w 40 that is listed on the generator. Cummins does not specify a type or brand on the weight based on temperature.

FWIW, I will use Onan OEM Oil & Air filters.

All thoughts welcome.
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used rotella 15-40 in my past onan 5500 and have been using the same in my bmw 1300S motorcycle for 11 years...a lot of bmw motorcycle owners use it. This oil is not to be used with vehicles with catalytic converters which of course the onan doesnt have.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some folks get passionate about their favorite brand name. These days is there really a demonstrable difference? Synthetics and blends notwithstanding?

The manual on my diesel Onan 8000 simply says SAE 30 or 15-40. (If yours is propane or other, look at your manual.)

I have always used Shell Rotella 15-40. Both Cummins and Onan. Change it every January. It is a brand name. Reasonably priced. Available everywhere. Carry around an extra gallon for top offs (altho have never needed)

Seems to do the job. Engines start fine, every time. (assuming I keep battery lugs clean)

Stand by for other opinions.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Some folks get passionate about their favorite brand name. These days is there really a demonstrable difference? Synthetics and blends notwithstanding?

The manual on my diesel Onan 8000 simply says SAE 30 or 15-40. (If yours is propane or other, look at your manual.)

I have always used Shell Rotella 15-40. Both Cummins and Onan. Change it every January. It is a brand name. Reasonably priced. Available everywhere. Carry around an extra gallon for top offs (altho have never needed)

Seems to do the job. Engines start fine, every time. (assuming I keep battery lugs clean)

Stand by for other opinions.

I have a 2019 Onan 5500 Gas

As great as the Manual is it does not specify a brand of oil, I am sure it is generically written? The Air Filter cover on Generator gives you the OEM part numbers for air and oil filters but it only says 2 quarts of oil i.e 15w 40 if temperatures reached 100 degrees, it actually says pure 30 grade if over 100 degrees? In Dallas; I know it will go over 100 degrees, but I have never bought pure 30 grade oil before?

FWIW I have picked up 1 gallon of the Rotella T4. I just hate to use it and someone tell me how could I have been so stupid to put diesel oil in a gas generator

Why do you change every Jan? Manual says every 150 hours?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have a 2019 Onan 5500 Gas

FWIW I have picked up 1 gallon of the Rotella T4. I just hate to use it and someone tell me how could I have been so stupid to put diesel oil in a gas generator

Why do you change every Jan? Manual says every 150 hours?
There are more than 150 hours between Januarys.
You can never change your oil too often.
It's a lot cheaper than replacing a siezed generator.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The manual says change oil every 150 hours, or annually whichever come first; so all have correct responses.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by . [B
This oil is not to be used with vehicles with catalytic converters [/B]which of course the onan doesnt have.
This is a first for me.... where did this come from?
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Do a deep dive and you will find that some of the additives that are in diesel oils can damage the catalytic converter which is why those specfic sdditives are not in automobile oils.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Cummins does not specify a type or brand on the weight based on temperature.
Do they specify a specification? For example, API CF, or one of the Dexos specifications. If so I wouldn't vary from that for any engine under warranty. You're not going to get any significant benefit from a specific brand, but could conceivably void your warranty, as unlikely as that might be.

For air cooled engines I would look for a motorcycle synthetic with the appropriate specification, unless maybe it's an air-cooled diesel, if there is such a beast.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Do they specify a specification? For example, API CF, or one of the Dexos specifications. If so I wouldn't vary from that for any engine under warranty. You're not going to get any significant benefit from a specific brand, but could conceivably void your warranty, as unlikely as that might be.

For air cooled engines I would look for a motorcycle synthetic with the appropriate specification, unless maybe it's an air-cooled diesel, if there is such a beast.
Not in my manual nor on the generator itself. It only specifies viscosity by related weight or the option to use pure 30 based on what temperatures you intend to operate.

If they wanted to lawyer up on you, you would have to use two different oils if you lived in an area where temperatures can drop below 32F and also go above 100F (like Dallas)

I have yet to see a 15w 40 or pure 30 oil that was not for Diesel. Based on all I have read and my limited research I think the Diesel oils are okay and likely what Onan wants; but not directly saying?

I have a 242 Limited Yamaha that calls out specific specifications, that I follow to the Tee. Onan does not specify

Another way to view this.

Because my generator is under warranty I wish to use all OEM parts. It was easy to buy by part number Air & Oil filters, but not the oil. 90% of all of us must have Onan generators. but no one has yet to say, this is the 100% definitive proven oil that should be used in all Onan Generators. I think the Chevron suggested earlier is what I would say as probable best choice, but I am going with the Rotella TD4 until someone comes with the clear smoking gun of what to use. For sure no one has complained about what Rotella has done
Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I don't think there's anything per se wrong with oil for diesel engines put into a gas engine, but yeah, 15W-40 is an odd specification. Once you're out of warranty you could safely substitute 10W-40. It would just flow a bit better at startup and cold weather.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I don't suppose anyone who is concerned about this issue, has called Cummins/Onan customer support and asked them?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yep.

Was getting my Onan supplies from our local (Tucson) authorized service center. Still get my filters there.

It was their suggestion I use Rotella after my comments (OK, whining) about carrying two brands of topoff oil as both our Cummins and Onan use the same weight oil.

Like your cutting to the chase. There is a reason most companies have customer service #s. They are like free education if YouTube makes you go hmmmmm.

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
This is a first for me.... where did this come from?
Rottella oil.....I stand corrected..I knew it was diesel rated but didnt have a clue about harming catalytical converters...who would have thought??..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
Rottella oil.....I stand corrected..I knew it was diesel rated but didnt have a clue about harming catalytical converters...who would have thought??..
I would like to see a source for this comment.

Dexos 2 (not Dexos 2nd Gen) is the specified oil for both some gasoline and diesel GM engines.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/ge...older%20models.

Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30, what is specified for my Duramax, specifically states that it is okay for both diesel particular filters and gasoline catalytic converters.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...il-1-esp-5w-30

That's not to say there might not be some diesel oils not compatible with catalytic converters, but I would want to see a warning specific to that oil.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

For my gas generator, I've gone by the information below which is from the Cummins Onan RV Generator Handbook from 2007. Seemed applicable since my coach was a 2003. A newer version might be available but I didn't feel the need to search for it in my case. Note that if you look at the label on some brands of so called "diesel" oil, they will include the API performance categories for both "diesel" and "gasoline" oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onan oil info.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	174933  
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
For my gas generator, I've gone by the information below which is from the Cummins Onan RV Generator Handbook from 2007. Seemed applicable since my coach was a 2003. A newer version might be available but I didn't feel the need to search for it in my case. Note that if you look at the label on some brands of so called "diesel" oil, they will include the API performance categories for both "diesel" and "gasoline" oil.
This a good post and with good information. It appears to be 100% accurate.
But here is the problem with it, and I am beginning to believe the problem may be deliberate by Cumins Onan?

If you read carefully they are telling you to use 15w -40 year around or pure 30 during the summer. But short of buying the OnaMax 15w -40 brand, where do you find a gasoline engine oil that 15w -40?

When they reference the ambient temperature for 10w -30, in my opinion they misrepresent because they have it on same line as 10w -40. I say this because yes 10w -40 works to ambient temperature 100F. This graph implies the 10w -30 also works to 100F but all research I see (including other Cummins Onan documents and the generators themselves) say 10w -30 is only good to 80F.

Further in my manual nor on my machine it says nothing of 10w -40 as a viscosity option.

I will return my Rotella as it does NOT have a API specification rating for gasoline. I plan to buy Chevron Delo 400 or Super Tech (both are 15w -40 and both have diesel and gasoline rating API SN.

Given all of this effort, I may allow Cumins Onan to win what I believe is what they intended anyway, and that is for me to break down and simply buy the OnaMax 15w -40 and be 100% sure. ( at least until the warranty expires) What a easy trap to to get someone proudly crowing their documented oil changes to Onan on a major repair needed only for Onan to say the oil is technically not as specified in their manual
Old 09-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If you read carefully they are telling you to use 15w -40 year around or pure 30 during the summer. But short of buying the OnaMax 15w -40 brand, where do you find a gasoline engine oil that 15w -40?
Mobil makes three Delvac versions of 15W-40, but those are also heavy duty oils.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...sort=relevancy

Deleted 2nd part--I need to think about that more.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Here are two more 15W-40s, one of which appears to be specifically for Onan generators!

https://www.amazon.com/Delo-400-SDE-...759622&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-32653...759622&sr=8-13

A bit expensive!

Product comments include: "Treat your RV generator engines with the quality Cummins OnaMax 15W40 oil. The factory tested oil provides maximum protection for your engine plus it's formulated to reduce consumption and engine wear due to high temperature oil oxidation and viscosity increase."
Old 09-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Here are two more 15W-40s, one of which appears to be specifically for Onan generators!

https://www.amazon.com/Delo-400-SDE-...759622&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-32653...759622&sr=8-13

A bit expensive!

Product comments include: "Treat your RV generator engines with the quality Cummins OnaMax 15W40 oil. The factory tested oil provides maximum protection for your engine plus it's formulated to reduce consumption and engine wear due to high temperature oil oxidation and viscosity increase."
Thanks, the Chevron Delo 400 is going to win.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-D...allon/16940138

I have researched this thoroughly and for my location and desire to use one oil year around if need be, this is best quality buy for Onan gasoline generator short of buying the expensive Onan branded oil.

I am convinced Onan deliberately confuse customers as a marketing tactic to make you pay almost $40 ... just for 2 quarts of the OnaMax!!!

I plan to buy a gallon of the Chevron Delo 400 and maybe 1 quart extra to keep in the RV.

If I screw this up and later find out I had bought the wrong oil, I ain't gonna even be mad In life I always give my best, when I fail; I smile because I know I did my best

I am on my way to Wal Mart right now; so I can close this deal and spare all of the other posters that have been trying to help me. Team Chevron Delo 400 here we come

Tags
generator, onan