Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof Top Spot Light

We have a "Golight" "RadioRay" roof mounted spot light on our rig. Its only control is the remote and though we rarely use it, it's not working now. The technician who did our walk through when we bought this "new to us" 2007 Vectra 40TD said he was surprised it worked (apparently they usually have issues). It has worked for the last 10 months, but recently it would not shut off. Not knowing that at the time, it about drained the batteries from staying on while we were dry camping. It decided to turn itself off somehow, but now it does nothing. I changed the battery in the remote, but still nothing. There was no model number listed in our manuals and nothing on the remote nor visible on the light itself. I will get some sealant so I can remove the light and check underneath, but I can't even see where the receiving antenna is.
We will be doing some boon docking and it is a handy thing to have while off the beaten-path.
If anyone has had similar issues please let me know what you've found.

Thanks is advance for any help!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
RKL
Winnebago Owner

roof top spot light

same thing happened to me...someone told me that when the house batteries get low the spot lite comes on and drains them flat...Mine happened on the road when all of a sudden truckers were telling me to turn it off...I couldn't and finally climbed up and pulled the bulb...Then I noticed that the solinoid was not working correctly and was not charging the house batteries while driving and they were almost flat..dry camping would do the same as batteries dropped.......hope this helps RKL
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

harv12,
We too have the remote Radio Ray spot light. While the only trouble I've had is a temporary "non-working" condition, ours has been for the most part, pretty darn dependable. In doing some research with the 600 miles of wires, cables and what-not in that upper VCR, multi-switch box, and digital converter box little cabinet, I think I found the power and ground wires to that light. I can't remember just what I did for the repair to get it working again but, it may have been just a bad contact and started working again after I moved some of the wires and connections.

But, I will say this. I had the same issue with one of my mirrors. It just stopped working only month or so after we bought the rig and brought it home. Well, after taking the mirror off, and trying like heck to figure out how it came apart, I put it back on and guess what, it started working again.

So, what I've determined through three different "stop working-start working" situations on this rig, is, go out and WORK all of these mechanisms on a regular basis. Do it as often as you can. And, do it while driving too. In that, while I'm cruising down a desolate stretch of freeway or country road, I move the mirrors, full one direction, then the other and up and down, multiple times.

When stopped and, especially in a camp spot some place, I go get the remote, sitting at a campfire and work it. UP, DOWN, ALL AROUND, SEVERAL TIMES. Goofing around with it on our last trip home, I was on a VERY desolate stretch of highway 395 in mid California, at "01:00 in the morning and, turned that spot light on. I could see way in front of what my head lights were projecting. It was cool. Since there was no traffic coming my way for miles and miles, I was really enjoying the extra light.

So, hope you get it fixed and, if possible, let us know what you found out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The spotlight on my 2005 Vectra is a RadioRay Model 2000 according to the instruction leaflet (actually, I believe since it's black its a Model 2051). Here's the 2000_Instruction_Sheet.pdf (68k) currently on the Golight website--the instructions appear essentially the same as the leaflet I have.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hey RKL, Scott & Chris,
So far I figured out my model number is
130672-01-02A. It is a black colored light so, Scott, I think we may have the same one. Thanks so much for all your info. This is really a great site and I so appreciate all the help!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

harv12,
Glad to be of assistance, there's lots of good folks here and are willing to lend a hand when needed. I'll have to look mine up in my manuals to see the actual model number and and get back to you on it. Mine is chrome.
Scott
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

130672-01-02A is Winnebago's part number for the black Model 2000 light. You can see it on page 59 of the Winnebago Parts Catalog pdf (catalog page 58).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I think looks like this is the same light as I have on my Winn 2004 Vectra 40AD. Several years ago a wind storm dropped a branch on my light knocking the bulb out of the housing & breaking the top half of the housing. The bulb survived the drop to the ground. I called Go light and ordered the replacement part, they are very helpful. As I recall the light receiver is in the electric compartment (on my rig)
under the driver. The receiver is there, and I pulled a fuse or maybe just disconnected the battery. Everything thing is working now. I also have a friend with the same Identical coach. I one night I say her light was on. I after new remote battery and reset she was also working. There is no electronics inside the light housing itself. Hope this helps.
Vern
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

harv12,
In looking at the parts manual that Chris linked, I'm pretty sure mine is this one:
157808-01-01A Spotlight-Power/Remote, Chrome

I haven't looked up mine in my manuals yet but, it sure looks like and, is described as that one in that catalog.
Scott
Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

SORRY, my previous reply was partly incorrect, time does funny things with your memory!
The lights receiver IS in the light. But to reprogram you MUST remove power to light. If memory is correct I found a fuse or CBreaker in the electric compartment. OR I just disconnected the battery, and now I don't remember which. I just checked with Golight to confirm about reprogramming. Removing power and reprogramming fixed my friends light. Golight said if the receiver goes bad new ones are $40. Easy change by removing top cover of the light. Again, sorry for the bad info.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just wanted to let everyone know I got the spot light working by reprogramming the remote. I had to call Winnebago to help me figure out where the power came from as it's hard wired into the light and power needs to be disconnected prior to reprogramming. It turned out that the power is fed from the coach fog light circuit.
Anyway, I reprogrammed it and IT WORKS!
We really don use it that much, but who likes having something on board that doesn't work?
Thanks again for all the help and input!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!! Another 'note' for the reference book!

Tags
roof