Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My front A/C unit has started short cycling in a manner that would lead me to suspect a low refrigerant level. Has anyone performed a DIY recharge of their systems? Any helpful hints on trouble shooting and/or recharging you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My front A/C unit has started short cycling in a manner that would lead me to suspect a low refrigerant level. Has anyone performed a DIY recharge of their systems? Any helpful hints on trouble shooting and/or recharging you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My old MH started short cycling. It was the MISSING foam insulation betweeen the
A/C exhaust and intake, as it was sucking the cold air back into the intake.
TENN.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:

Geechee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not do this without specialized equipment. You can buy rebuilt cooling units and install yourself.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Geechee, I watched a "pro" refill my roof top a/c about 15 years ago. He added a saddle valve, filled the unit with R ?? using gauges. I think it can be done but you'd still have the original leak. Tom N's approach might be cheaper in the long run.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:

Geechee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not do this without specialized equipment. You can buy rebuilt cooling units and install yourself.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I errorred in my response. I thought the leak was in a refrigerator. I now see the problem was a roof AC unit. Rather than delete my post, ignore it.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all,

What I was hoping for is that someone had actually recharged their unit and could offer info on if it is R-22 or R-134a and where the schrader valves are located. I guess what I am trying to say, does anyone know of a link to where this info can be found?

Thanks again,

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I think you will find that it will be R22 used in this system. It likely will NOT have fill valves preinstalled. Most I have seen will need to be evacuated, fill valves installed, checked for leaks and repaired then filled correctly. Not a job for an amateur without the special training and equipment.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Geechee, by "front A/C" do you mean the dash air or the roof air. Dash air will be R-134a and roof air will be R-22. The dash air has special fittings to connect service equipment. The roof air is a sealed system and has to have temporary valves add and then permanent valves soldered in, evacuated and recharged.

Not knowing what you are doing can be very dangerous as refrigerant is under pressure and needs to be handled safely. If you do not have the background and equipment, you are dollars ahead to hire someone knowledgeable in the field to do the work.

Short-cycling can be caused by a number of problems that may not be low on refrigerant.

Ken