Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I was waxing our '03 Sightseer 30-B today and saw for the first time two areas in the roof that have small, hairline cracks. None are longer than about 4" but I know I have to fix them right away. I don't know how long they have been like this and I don't have any leaks from the roof that I'm aware of.
I'm thinking of putting enternabond tape over them and keep an eye on them to see if that takes care of the cracks.
Any one else have this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?
here's a link showing the cracks
www.picturetrail.com/shadyheart
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I was waxing our '03 Sightseer 30-B today and saw for the first time two areas in the roof that have small, hairline cracks. None are longer than about 4" but I know I have to fix them right away. I don't know how long they have been like this and I don't have any leaks from the roof that I'm aware of.
I'm thinking of putting enternabond tape over them and keep an eye on them to see if that takes care of the cracks.
Any one else have this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?
here's a link showing the cracks
www.picturetrail.com/shadyheart
Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Interesting cracks. I have heard that Eternabond fixes everything (kind of like duct tape in the military). Would be interested to hear how it works out for you if you do use it.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You might want to email Winnebago too and see what they recommend. They don't look major yet, but they do look like they could become an issue.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

While it is hard to tell from your photo, I had one place with similar cracks on my roof. It appeared to me something (like a baseball) had hit the roof and caused the cracks in a 2" x 2" area. I cleaned it well with acetone and applied a 4" x 4" piece of Eternabond tape.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #6

I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Looks like small stress cracks, and that is normal for these type fiberglass roofs.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy a used unit with Eternabond "patches" on the roof.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looks like these stress cracks are caused by your awning. Are you tying your awning firmly to the ground?? If so movement to the coach and awning, caused by the wind, may be stressing this area of the roof.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just wait to see if the cracks get any bigger and if so, put a pc of enternabond on it.
After going back on the roof and looking again I realize the cracks are so small I don't think water can leak past them
Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oldpa:
www.picturetrail.com/shadyheart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oldpa;

Thanks for posting the link; you've done some cool projects to your motorhome!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard, I do enjoy "playing with my toys".
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Fiberglass roof cracks

We have an 07 Voyage that has cracks in the roof. We do regular maintenance on it and do not know how they appears. However, Winnebago is telling us something fell on it and refuses to honor the warranty. Since we are with the vehicle at all times, we feel that we have either stress cracks or a defective product. Our insurance company has agreed with us that these cracks are not impact related and should be covered under warranty. Apparently Winnebago does not want to keep their customers happy. We are very disappointed with their service as this is not the first issue we have had. How do you fight them?
mitwil50 is offline   Reply With Quote