Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof Seams Resealing

Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD. It is in for some other work (finally replacing the SchwinTec front passenger slide with PowerGear so it will work!). Shop said that I need the roof seams and side radius resealed. He offered it at $1200 which seems high. Is this something a repair shop needs to do or something I can do? Is it just a reseal or is there removal and replacement of the seal that needs to be done by a trained professional?

Thanks!
Lyle
Orracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
Site Team

It is a project you can do. But I think you may wish you had paid someone else to do it for you.

It all depends on your budget.

Watch the YouTube videos of "AZ EXPERT" as he does this job. There is much more to it than resealing. First you have to remove all the old sealant - all 84 feet of it (42' both sides) and you pretty much will need to rent scaffolding to do the job as well.

It takes specific work removing the old and specific sealant that isn't super cheap and certainly some knowledge of the process. But I'd not say a professional must do the task.

I've not had to do it. And, I'm not super cost conscious but if it needed done on my coach and someone offered to do it for $1,200 I'd probably go for it.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's not terribly difficult but it is time consuming. Even so, $1,200 seems high to me. Watch AZ Expert and decide. Here's one of his related videos:

I've done mine both from a ladder and from the roof, lying down, facing the edge. A scaffolding would be nice but it's not essential.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I like to to do as much of this work as i can. I did this on my rig and it is not difficult. You want to make sure you remove all the old sealant and clean it well before you apply the right product on the re seal. It took me a good 8 to 10 hrs of work to do it right if i recall. You should be able to get the call out sheet for your rig. I used Manus bond 75 on my seam for a fiberglass roof.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have a 2016 Sightseer had to remove and replace all the seams which was a lot of work but ended up costing me less than 50 bucks
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I did it when we had a 30' Sightseer and hated it. Unless you have a scaffold, you have to constantly move the ladder and will not be able to get a nice, continues bead of Manus 75 in the roof radius gap. It was also a PIA to properly clean the area.

You have a 42' RV which means almost 80' of repair area. I would not do that job for $1200.00 but I sure would pay that much to get it done.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
I did it when we had a 30' Sightseer and hated it. Unless you have a scaffold, you have to constantly move the ladder and will not be able to get a nice, continues bead of Manus 75 in the roof radius gap. It was also a PIA to properly clean the area.

You have a 42' RV which means almost 80' of repair area. I would not do that job for $1200.00 but I sure would pay that much to get it done.
A scaffold has to be moved unless it's 40'long (they can also be rented). As I mentioned before, you can seal while lying on the roof. Alternatively, moving a ladder isn't that big of a deal and who cares if it's cosmetically perfect. If done properly, you'll never see it from the ground.

If I was much younger and needed the money, I'd certainly do this for $1,200.

Another way to look at the cost is $1,200/80' = $15/ft. Pretty expensive in my opinion. It's not too much more difficult to do than re-caulking a bathtub. I'd certainly get another estimate.

Safety is always of concern when deciding to do something like this yourself so I'm not against paying for someone to do it, it's just that $1,200 seems to be too much.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
Site Team

I’ve worked with Manus Bond 75 in a roof radius reseal project and will not again. I’ll take AZ Experts advice and use Pro-Flex when I have to do that work again.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #9
1996 Itasca 29Q

Roof Reseal

I would get a second opinion on the roof reseal, have the radius seals failed or just the RTV protecting the sealant underneath? The front and rear joints are easy to replace with sealant as are the vent covers and antenna protrusions.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve worked with Manus Bond 75 in a roof radius reseal project and will not again. I’ll take AZ Experts advice and use Pro-Flex when I have to do that work again.
X2 This is the absolute best approach to doing this. And it can be done DIY
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal