Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Ok, assuming the eternabond tape is the fantastic product that all say it is, it looks like you will have all the room you want on the upper side for a great adhesion patch directly on the fiberglass surface as it curves up to the top of the roof.

But on the lower part, you are putting it into the gutter part of the drip rail, with what, 1/2 - 3/4" of uneven surface for the tape to adhere to? How flexible is this eternabond tape, to bend around that drip rail shape?

Again, just wondering are you really getting any sort of structural strength with the tape, or is it really just a water seal, and the drip rail itself is holding the fiberglass lip in place?

Actually, I can't see where the caulking can really give much structural strength to that joint if it is only a small bead at the top of the drip rail extrusion.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
With all the problems I read on the RV forums about the Winnebago roof seams I guess maybe Winnebago doesn't know what sealant to use either or they sure would use something that lasts longer than 6 months.

Maybe their sealants get specified by the same engineer that specs the anti-rust paint primer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Ok, assuming the eternabond tape is the fantastic product that all say it is, it looks like you will have all the room you want on the upper side for a great adhesion patch directly on the fiberglass surface as it curves up to the top of the roof.

But on the lower part, you are putting it into the gutter part of the drip rail, with what, 1/2 - 3/4" of uneven surface for the tape to adhere to? How flexible is this eternabond tape, to bend around that drip rail shape?

Again, just wondering are you really getting any sort of structural strength with the tape, or is it really just a water seal, and the drip rail itself is holding the fiberglass lip in place?

Actually, I can't see where the caulking can really give much structural strength to that joint if it is only a small bead at the top of the drip rail extrusion.
Have you looked up enternabond yet?

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

eternabond - YouTube

In a word: very
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Looks like pretty good stuff!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Maybe their sealants get specified by the same engineer that specs the anti-rust paint primer.
I agree 100%, been there done that twice with the last two rust bucket Winnies.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

just did both sides with black eternabond, never need to caulk again. Now
on to the next project.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

As for myself, I wanted a good base before I did the Eternabond. Paranoid, I guess. Phase I of the job was removing all of the old caulk, cleaning the channels, inserting the screen spline, and recaulking. Phase II is Eternabond on the roof seams.[/QUOTE]

After reading this thread I checked my seams and found them cracked so I am doing exactly what you are doing, except I found that I needed to run two screen splines (one on top of the other) in the channel. The first one just sat below or just at the bottom edge of the fibre glass roofing material and really didn't touch the fibre glass enough to hold the fibre glass in the channel. A second spline made all the difference and I still have a good 1/2" + of caulking above those splines. This should hold the roof fibre glass in the channel even if the caulk cracks. Before I caulked the channel the moisture from the evening due ran in the channel and the splines did not effect the drainage at the weep holes. This gave me some assurance that if the caulk weakens the water will weep away.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof