Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Roof sealant

Have to install covers over my roof vents using Fan-Tastic covers. Must remove and reseal screws. Does anybody know if the sealant Dicor matches oem sealant? Have 2012 with fiberglass roof
mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would not put covers on that require breaking/violating/re-doing any seal. I have had the larger Maxxair covers on my Fantastic fan vents for 10 years. They don't require any re-sealing, and they work great. In spite of Fantastic Fan warnings, we have noticed absolutely no drawbacks to our covers.

I made the same choice with a sewer vent. My metal Xtreme Vent attached to the existing vent pipe rather than requiring the seal to be broken and re-done as other similar products required.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I would not put covers on that require breaking/violating/re-doing any seal. I have had the larger Maxxair covers on my Fantastic fan vents for 10 years. They don't require any re-sealing, and they work great. In spite of Fantastic Fan warnings, we have noticed absolutely no drawbacks to our covers.

I made the same choice with a sewer vent. My metal Xtreme Vent attached to the existing vent pipe rather than requiring the seal to be broken and re-done as other similar products required.
X2 on that, in fact now they make one that flips open for cleaning. Easy installation as well..
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Maybe you should see why the Fan-Tastic cover has the LEAST air restriction of all other vents. Just asked a simple question, not like I'm ripping a gaping hole in roof!!! 4 screw holes to me is no big deal.
mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Use the tubes of Geocel RV Pro-Flex found at your local Camping World. It is far better than the Dicor used for the same purpose.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
Maybe you should see why the Fan-Tastic cover has the LEAST air restriction of all other vents. Just asked a simple question, not like I'm ripping a gaping hole in roof!!! 4 screw holes to me is no big deal.
No reason to get pissy about it...
Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mr Fish

I think you will find the Fantastic branded covers have much larger openings in the vent grill and they are close to vertical. Obviously cuts down on any restriction but I have seen reports of moisture/rain getting in and leaking thru an operating fan. You might want to consider the MaxxAir vent covers as others suggested. You might find the alleged MaxxAir "restriction" is both rain as well as a small amount of air!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal