Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof Replacement, is it an option?

I have a 2000 Horizon. Had a mishap at a campground where I branch fell on the roof leaving an 18" gash in the roof. No structural damage, but an nasty gash. I covered the area with eternabond and continued on my way. State Farm says I am covered ($500 detectable). The question is, can the fiberglass roof simply be replaced and can Winnebego supply a new roof for a 14 year old Motorhome? Anyone experienced this?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would imagine any competent RV repair facility could install a new fiberglass roof, although it will be expensive. My son, an RV tech, has offered to replace the EPDM roof on my newer Itasca, with a fiberglass roof, if I ever want one.
If the patch is sufficient, I don't know as I would bother replacing the whole roof.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I believe, I would take it to the factory were they put roofs on everday.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'd be surprised if there was a 14 year old roof sitting around to fit your RV. That being said, you'd be shocked at what damage can be repaired "as good as new" in terms of fiberglass and associated damage.

There may be a new cap roof available if they are generic parts.. I'd call the factory to inquire about the repair - it's not going to be inexpensive regardless..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Being fiberglass, a good fiberglass shop can repair and reseal it to original. I wouldn't replace it. Now, if it was a fabric, that's another story.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
I have a 2000 Horizon. Had a mishap at a campground where I branch fell on the roof leaving an 18" gash in the roof. No structural damage, but an nasty gash. I covered the area with eternabond and continued on my way. State Farm says I am covered ($500 detectable). The question is, can the fiberglass roof simply be replaced and can Winnebego supply a new roof for a 14 year old Motorhome? Anyone experienced this?
If the damage is just to the outer skin and did not impact the AC duct work or come all the way through then it can be patched by a competent bodyman versed in fiberglass repair however if the Styrofoam underneath has been compromised and now has a soft spot then the roof will need to be replaced. A call to Winnebago Customer Service to speak with a factory advisor before any insurance claim is closed would be in order. Since Winnebago came out with the wide body coaches not that much appears to have changed in the roof structure so they should be able to replace it at the factory. If your insurance will pay for it and Winnebago can do the job then go for it.

You do not want to have foam beads blowing out of the duct work or start to have mildew sports appearing from cool air from the AC leaking and causing drips between the fiberglass and foam afterwards once its too late to make a claim.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago should have this roof in stock, as they have been using the "one piece" fiberglas roof material for many years, and I have read of others who have taken their rigs back, and had Winnebago replace.

I would want to have the factory do it, as they can check for any hidden damage, and you will know it was done right. Worth the trip, IMO. While you're out there, if you want any other work done, they can do that too.

When I went there, years ago, I had the repaint the front cap, due to rock damage; installed an outside vent for microwave-exhaust fan, replaced shower faucet with a new Moen valve, etc. Prices were very reasonable, and work was good. One of the forum members went there recently, and had their cabinet shop make a new front TV mount, and install a new LED TV.

Schedula a week out there, and you'll come back with a like-new rig

BTW GaDawgFan, we also have the Horiwon 36LD, which now sports a new paint job.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The thin fiberglass sheet is bonded to a thin luan type sheet which Winnebago buys pre-bonded.
That is then bonded with contact cement to the styrofoam and ceiling sheet sandwich which is all pressed together on very large rollers. There are aluminum roof spars/joists and wiring embedded in channels in the styrofoam. I would be surprised if just the entire fiberglass sheet could be removed and replaced.

When a forum member (Pace89?) had a lightning strike, the factory removed the entire roof and replaced it with a new one.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Roof repair

I had a similar problem earlier this year on my 93 Vectra. The insurance company would pay for the replacement with a epdm roof. Do to the cost of a Winnebago fiberglass roof and shipping, the cost would exceed the value of the coach and they would total it. The repair was over $11,000.

In my situation, we actually lost the roof in wind, so there was nothing to repair. The fiberglass rear cap was cracked and the service center did an invisible repair.

In the archives are my previous posts about my roof.

Bob
sgtsilverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It can be done.

I am in the process of having the fiberglass roof replaced on a 2006 model year coach. We bought the coach in Arizona and on the way home with a cross wind the fiberglass began to tear off. The first place wanted over $ 22,000.00 to replace with ordering fiberglass from Winnebago. I found another repair shop that ordered the same material as the original direct from the manufacturer and the total job will be $ 8,750.00. They said it is becoming common problem especially on 2006 model year. They were putting a new roof on another 06 when I dropped mine off. The price varies some due to length of coach. Mine is a 38 ft.

Bob
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, roof