Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Post Roof repair/replacement question

I need some ideas about roof repair or replacement for my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V.
To begin with, we had encountered a severe cross wind and gusts which nearly dislodged the awning over the front slide-out on the driver's side and the flapping dislodged and ripped a pice off the corner of the roof.
After talking with the insurance adjuster he related that there seems to be a question with the repair shop just how to fix it. Funny, I know. But I understand the material is not fibreglass and is a rubberized material which apparently cannot be repaired.
Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation? Have an e-mail out to the Workhorse people in the meantime.

Looking forward to those of you with experience as I became a Newbie in September.

Thanks,

Gord Hayden
Tobique Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I thought winnebego roofs were fiberglass. I have read of other roofs that have come up because they were not sealed at the sides properly. I would call winnebego service and ask about repairing the roof I think it can be repaired.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rubber roofs have a limited life span. After 10-12 years, your time is ticking so a repair of a portion seems really pointless. A roof replacement is probably in order but it can be an expensive proposition. If you have insurance picking up part of the tab, I would toss in the extra $$$ if you can and get the whole thing done. You won't likely get the chance to do it for less.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The Winnebago factory are the folks to talk to, both you and repair shop. They manufacture their own roofs. Call (800)-537-1885, sooner rather than later. Have your 12 digit serial number handy.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

As stated above as far as I know all of the Winnebago roofs are either aluminum (back in the 90s) or fiberglass.

Calling the Workhorse people won't do any good, they build the chassis not the house part.

I think the awning screws go into the aluminum top rail and if that is bent you may have a real problem. It is an integral part of the frame structure.

The whole roof is built as one piece and laminated together. I suspect Winnebago would want to replace the whole thing if you have the factory do the repair - that would sure be my preference.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We've had several friends that had to have their roof repaired. Three for wind ripping part of it off and one for hail damage. In all cases the materials came from the factory. I know that in at least one, only part of the roof was replaced.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobique Tote View Post
I need some ideas about roof repair or replacement for my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V.
To begin with, we had encountered a severe cross wind and gusts which nearly dislodged the awning over the front slide-out on the driver's side and the flapping dislodged and ripped a pice off the corner of the roof.
After talking with the insurance adjuster he related that there seems to be a question with the repair shop just how to fix it. Funny, I know. But I understand the material is not fibreglass and is a rubberized material which apparently cannot be repaired.
Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation? Have an e-mail out to the Workhorse people in the meantime.

Looking forward to those of you with experience as I became a Newbie in September.

Thanks,

Gord Hayden
:welcome: If no one has said so yet.

I think you have a problem. May I ask why you contacted Workhorse? I thought it was roof damage and that is coach related. Do you have comprehensive insurance on your coach? If you do call your insurance co and get recommendations from them.

I wish you speedy success in resolving this problem.

Happy trails to come,
Rick
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks folks for the welcome and have now been enlightened on contacting Winnebago rather than Workhorse. Live & learn eh! I now have a few responses from fellow members and think I have enough to go on. Looks like my insurance will now be handling the whole thing, minus the 500$ deductable
Again Thank you very much.

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you John Hilley,
I have now been enlightened on contacting Winnebago rather than Workhorse. Live & learn eh! I now have a few responses from fellow members and think I have enough to go on. Looks like my insurance will now be handling the whole thing, minus the 500$ deductable

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
:welcome: If no one has said so yet.

I think you have a problem. May I ask why you contacted Workhorse? I thought it was roof damage and that is coach related. Do you have comprehensive insurance on your coach? If you do call your insurance co and get recommendations from them.

I wish you speedy success in resolving this problem.

Happy trails to come,
Rick
Thank you jerichorick.
I have now been enlightened on contacting Winnebago rather than Workhorse. Live & learn eh! I now have a few responses from fellow members and think I have enough to go on. Looks like my insurance will now be handling the whole thing, minus the 500$ deductable

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
As stated above as far as I know all of the Winnebago roofs are either aluminum (back in the 90s) or fiberglass.

Calling the Workhorse people won't do any good, they build the chassis not the house part.

I think the awning screws go into the aluminum top rail and if that is bent you may have a real problem. It is an integral part of the frame structure.

The whole roof is built as one piece and laminated together. I suspect Winnebago would want to replace the whole thing if you have the factory do the repair - that would sure be my preference.
Thank you Clay,

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
The Winnebago factory are the folks to talk to, both you and repair shop. They manufacture their own roofs. Call (800)-537-1885, sooner rather than later. Have your 12 digit serial number handy.
Thank you Don & Sharon.
Good timing and thanks for the Number.

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the guidance.

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the info.

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobique Tote View Post
Thank you for the info.

Gord & Cindy Hayden
Gord,
Glad you're getting your situation handled. I'd be real interested in what kind of repair/replacement your insurance company comes up with. By the way, just for your information, if you want to quote multiple people, in the same thread, all you have to do is, look at the bottom of each of the responses and, you'll see the little icon that says "Multi +" . If you want to quote that persons post, you click on his/her "multi +" and it will turn to a "-" sign. Then, move to another post and do the same. You keep doing it for as many quotes/posts as you like. Then, at the bottom of the last one, on the left, you simply do as you always do and that is, click on "Post Reply".

When the next screen appears, it will have all the responses you chose to bring to your reply. You can then answer each one individually or, just go to the bottom and reply to all of them. Just some info here, hope it helps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Good morning Gord and Cindy.

I, too, am so happy to hear things are under control for you.

We were at Winnebago in Forest City last year. A couple had been caught in a severe hail storm. Coach and car were very damaged. The roof on the coach was replaced by the folks at the Winnebago factory service center. It was 'stuck' to the existing roof with some special 3M tape. It took over a week for them to complete the work. The repair was $17K if I recall. Thank God for insurance!

Hope you are back on the road soon.

Rick
Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott, I'm new at this format and your guidance is appreciated.
Gord

Tags
replacement, repair, roof, replace