Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof Recall???

Has anyone heard of a roof recall or service bulletin on the roof of late model Winnebagos?

I went to my local Winnebago dealer today to have him inspect some spider cracking on the curved edge of my roof. The service manager stated that Winnebago had a recall on late model (1 or 2 year old MHs). The recall was to put Eternabond tape on the entire length of the radius (curved) edge of the roof, both sides of the MH. This is the repair that he suggested I do to my roof.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago sent me a recommended repair notice for bad sealer at the roof frp to aluminum roof rail. Enternabond tape was installed full length of the roof on both sides.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

So how do they deal with the coaches with the full body paint (on the roof radius) ? Are painting over the Eternabond?

My 2004 had a lot of cracks on the roof radius that started in black paint area, then gradually showed up in the grey and brown areas. I got quotes of $5400 and $7500 to repair and repaint. After a 3 month battle with the fiberglass manufacturer Crane Composites Inc and filling in small claims court, they sent me a check for $5400. That was in 2010, seven years into the 10 yr material warranty.

Bill
Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Has anyone heard of a roof recall or service bulletin on the roof of late model Winnebagos?

I went to my local Winnebago dealer today to have him inspect some spider cracking on the curved edge of my roof. The service manager stated that Winnebago had a recall on late model (1 or 2 year old MHs). The recall was to put Eternabond tape on the entire length of the radius (curved) edge of the roof, both sides of the MH. This is the repair that he suggested I do to my roof.
I have not heard of this from anyone regarding my roof. Tape seems like a lazy fix for a nice roof.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Why not start using this tape on all Winnebagos from the factory it would be painted to match the paint and would last a lot longer than the roof sealant they put on now and you would have to re due it every two years. Is this a cash cow for the dealers to do this service to make extra cash on its owners. They must like this tape and use it as a repair these crakes. I have used this tape on my 2003 that did not have full body paint and it worked great. But my new coach has the paint and it is white so a no go for me.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago must have had the Eternabond tape custom made, as it matched the color of my coach perfectly. You have to look carefully to see that it's even there!
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I found this online…. https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b381914/

2015 Winnebago Vista Equipment Adaptive Service Bulletin 381914

· Action Number: 10057526
Service Bulletin Number: 381914
Report Date: May 11, 2015
Component: Equipment Adaptive
· Summary: Winnebago: see document search button for owner letter. To prevent and/or protect the champagne sidewalls from failed sealants or cracks, eternabond tape seal is applied over roof sidewall joint. Model 2015 vista, itasca, sunstar.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That is just poor engineering on Winnebago. It's a disgrace to manufacture and sell a product that has to be repaired with glorified duct tape in such a short time. This is just another instance of Winnebago putting out a problem laden coach to lower costs and increase profits. My 2005 Adventurer has experienced every problem Winnebago created by poor engineering and manufacturing policies. Leaking Windshields, rusty windshield frames, clear coat failing on roof radius area, fiberglass roof cracking on roof radius areas, engine compartment hood hinges falling off of bonding to front cap, bonding sealant failure on roof radius to metal side rail seam, sidewalls cracking or crazing due to faulty gelcoat on fiberglass panels. The list goes on and on.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
So how do they deal with the coaches with the full body paint (on the roof radius) ? Are painting over the Eternabond?

My 2004 had a lot of cracks on the roof radius that started in black paint area, then gradually showed up in the grey and brown areas. I got quotes of $5400 and $7500 to repair and repaint. After a 3 month battle with the fiberglass manufacturer Crane Composites Inc and filling in small claims court, they sent me a check for $5400. That was in 2010, seven years into the 10 yr material warranty.

Bill
this is why I cringe when I see rv's setting out in the weather...especially on the west coast... in Nevada the lot rot is horrible and quick.... I know thses are susposed to be homes, and some live in them, but, they need to be in a garage to keep from rapidly returning to the earth
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

We had our 2015 Vista in the shop for some warranty work and they said there was a recall and put the tape on our roof, it looked terrible! Like a two-year-old put it on :( It has driven us crazy since they've done it, you can see where it wrinkled up on him and just kept going, now my husband is tearing it off and going to caulk it.
debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Itasca with a fiberglass roof. I wash it twice a year or more if needed. I keep up the caulking when needed.

I have started to notice that it is starting to powder a bit and I am seeing tiny cracks in certain areas. No leaks, but don't want to wait until there is a problem. My roof is white so not an issue with full body paint.

The plan is to recoat it with an elastomeric roof coating sometime this winter. I will do this myself. Supposedly will last 5 to 7 years if you buy that particular product.

I agree though that the RV industry is not making the product they used to and results like this are costing owner's a lot of money, frustration, and time.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, roof