Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roof leak

The roof on right rear of coach, is leaking. The previous owner had the roof repaired after he backed that corner into something. That section was fixed by adding a new piece from the corner up to the half bath vent, so the roof is not seamless. We checked it out on return home and what a mess! The corner of the roof, up to the bedroom slide, has standing water, there is a dip and it puddles there! We tarped that area of the roof until we can figure out what to do. We live in Charleston SC, USA; any suggestions on where in the southeast we can take it to get it repaired? I was thinking maybe Florida since there are so many RVers that frequent that state? Iowa is out of the question, it's winter! Or any suggestions on what we can do in the meantime? If we can't get rid of the puddling, it will happen again. I noticed that the wallpaper seemed to be "peeling" a bit at the inner corner where the slide is pulled inand yes, it is damp/wet. Just in case this doesn't pop up, it's a 2014 Vista 35F.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Did they use the Winnebago Filon overlay patch, or something else? Do you have pictures?

Sorry that I do not know east coast repair centers.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Can you store it on an angle? Help the water run off? I know that isn't a fix, but might help in the short term.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We are not sure what was used. It's been a dreary, rainy day here. Hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow and I can post a picture or two. Thanks for responding!
Old 12-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I wish it were that simple! The pooling is a good inch deep. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Did they use the Winnebago Filon overlay patch, or something else? Do you have pictures?
Here are photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3633.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	176349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	176350  

Old 12-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Is that line running along the top edge of the roof a metal bracket holding the roofing material down which has been covered with liquid flashing?

If so, it looks like someone tried to cover a damaged radius, but created a dam for water. You might try cutting a channel through the caulking at the back corner to let the water out until you can find a shop to find a better fix, or properly replace the filon.

Winnebago motorhome roofs are usually a single sheet of filon, wrapped over both sides and set into a channel filled with sealant. There are dozens of videos on this YouTube channel showing Winnebago roof repairs.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macevir View Post
The roof on right rear of coach, is leaking. The previous owner had the roof repaired after he backed that corner into something. That section was fixed by adding a new piece from the corner up to the half bath vent, so the roof is not seamless. We checked it out on return home and what a mess! The corner of the roof, up to the bedroom slide, has standing water, there is a dip and it puddles there! We tarped that area of the roof until we can figure out what to do. We live in Charleston SC, USA; any suggestions on where in the southeast we can take it to get it repaired? I was thinking maybe Florida since there are so many RVers that frequent that state? Iowa is out of the question, it's winter! Or any suggestions on what we can do in the meantime? If we can't get rid of the puddling, it will happen again. I noticed that the wallpaper seemed to be "peeling" a bit at the inner corner where the slide is pulled inand yes, it is damp/wet. Just in case this doesn't pop up, it's a 2014 Vista 35F.
From your picture I did not get a good feel for where the leak is. I had a antenna cable access leaking last week. I found the original sealant had an air bubble in it that allowed water to get into the ceiling over the dash. I sprayed it with Flex Seal. Problem solved.
Clean the area of concern and spray on some Flex Seal. I think this might be a RVers secret repair patch.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Roof leak

There is a place in Myrtle beach. MPT they advertise for collision repair but they also do roofs.
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Can you post a photo that shows a wider view with some info as to where the water sits, what you think is leaking, etc?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Bob, was just trying to tell the guy about the place in Myrtle Beach that can fix his roof leak. Have a safe Christmas.
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #12

Looks to me like too much weight from a person or persons crushed the roof gussets that attach to the edge. As such, you have a 1/4" dip just before the aluminum roof radius support.

Structurally, I'm guessing your roof will sink if you stand anywhere near this area?

...But, what to do about is the problem?

...If have a DEEP CRACK in the pylon then this could be the source of your leak, but when I look at your roof seam-sealant, it looks like you have not replaced it in years!

Roof maintenance is a 2 year event... even if you store your coach in a Pole Barn; and there has been much written about the best sealant to use. Google Proflex Geocel and you will find out more.

So your leak could be coming from anywhere under that old roof seam-sealant.

Below are some picture that will help you better understand the roof construction used by Winnebago... which should be similar to your roof. (I guess.)

As for what to do about your roof dip? ...Here are some suggestions:

* If you find cracks in you pylon, buy some Eternabond Tape and make sure you apply it to a very clean roof using a floor roller. (The pressure activates the bond.)

* As for that valley (where water pools now) I think I would bondo it to fill in the valley and then sand it smooth. Or I might use Flex Patch, but the problem with Flex Patch, by Flex Seal is that you can't sand it after you lay it down so it will always look like a repair in that area.

* Then I would clean your entire roof and scrap off any old and cracking Lap Sealant around your vent and skylight.

* Then I would buy 10 gallons of Tropi-cool 100% roof sealant at Home Depot and roll this stuff over your entire roof to give it that new look and to hide roof imperfections and to give your room more insulation from heat.

Alternatively, you can use a Dicor fiberglass roof sealant... you can buy at Camping World, and that will give it a more painted roof look, but it will be more expensive.

* Then you apply new lap sealant all around your vents as needed and on your front and rear roof cap seams.

And you are almost done! ...Because you still need to have your roof radius seams re-glued with Proflex Geocell.

IMO, you have 3 days of work. 4 days if you do a real good job and if you roof needs maintenance somewhere else.

*** YOUR ROOF WILL ALWAYS BE WEAK IN THIS AREA, but you can fix the cosmetics and if you don't walk on that side of the roof (in this weak area) then maybe that will be okay with you?

*** Your only other alternative, IMO, is to cut off the entire back roof area and then reinforce those roof trusses; and then reapply a pylon wood and fiberglass top... then use Eternabond over the seams... repaint, etc. ...But for what, just so you can walk on that area again? ...I wouldn't spend my money this way, but if it's insurance money that's a different subject. This is a 5-6 day repair, IMO.

TIP: If you are paying out of your own pocket, and if you don't like the $4K-$5K estimates you will get at a local body shop (+$500 to re-glue your roof radius seam; I don't blame you! ...So here's a tip: I would plan a trip to Rocky Point, Puerto Penasco, Mexico and have Carlos do the cosmetic and roof radius re-seal for ~$1,500 (IMO) ...and you bring him the roof materials (except bondo) and enjoy a 5-7 day visit on the beach in Rocky Point while your RV is getting fixed!

I wrote all about my travels to Rocky Point last summer to have Carlos perform body work and to re-glue my roof radius. I also took my tow car with me the second time I visited Carlos and he repaired and repainted a door. (See links below for more information.) Now my RV and tow car have never looked better!

Then I hired several other people to help me change the engine coolant, tune up my basement AC, shampoo my carpets and clean my daylight shade and floors.

This is why I call "The Reef" at Rocky Point a "RV DAY SPA!" And while they were working on the RV I was enjoying a great vacation and beach and restaurant and local Mexican culture. ...And you can even get a massage outside your RV, with cool ocean breezes, by the local women who also make a living supporting the RV community. (SO FORGET GOING TO FLORIDA. YOU WILL NEVER GET EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN ONE PLACE AND YOU WILL PAY BIG BUCKS!) ...And I guarantee you will like the quality of work you get in "The Reef." It's just amazing! I was so impressed, and YES... I plan to go back in March-2021, but not to get any work done, because I don't need any. I'm going back for the $25/day or $50/day "on the beach" parking and for the vacation experience.

Body Repairs In Rocky Point Part 1:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ew-358003.html

Roof Maintenance Part 2:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ce-358625.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roof - Winnebago Constrcution.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	176504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cap Buldge Fix 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	176507  

Name:	20200909_143502.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	176508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocky Point Map.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	176509  

Name:	1 The Reef RV Business Cards.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	176510  
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Yeah, I’m leaning towards a past damage to the corner of the roof that was poorly repaired. If it were mine, I’d take off all of that putty, and see how bad the problem is.
There are two areas in the photo that appear to be unsealed. Perhaps, if you’re lucky, that’s all it is...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D7696F8B-9F5E-45A4-8EC0-6BD20A4CE3D8.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	176511  
Old 12-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Cover it until spring. Then strip all caulking off roof. Build up sunken area (good recommendations here)....reapply caulking over every seam and then cover every seam (after thorough cleaning) with eternabond tape.....
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
From your picture I did not get a good feel for where the leak is. I had a antenna cable access leaking last week. I found the original sealant had an air bubble in it that allowed water to get into the ceiling over the dash. I sprayed it with Flex Seal. Problem solved.
Clean the area of concern and spray on some Flex Seal. I think this might be a RVers secret repair patch.
I am sad to say that the area I thought was causing my leak was not. I have ordered a can of clear Flex Seal spray. My coach nose cap is not well fitted across the roof. There is a BIG gap that I have been dealing with. My last fix must be failing. I will clean the cap joint well and apply the sealant over the existing patch.

As for the Macevir problem, I still think Flex Seal may be the solution. Clean the reassess area well and use the past Flex Seal to fill in the area.

Tags
leak, roof