Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

roof is clean, now what??

Greetings,
We have a Journey 36GD that HAD a very dirty roof. Following about a day of hard work scrubbing with "Simple Green" and a 3M pad the roof is now gleaming white. It looks perfect. All the mould and pine pitch is gone. In the process of cleaning I was able to check out the roof to wall "J" seal and found it to be sound. My questions is: What does anyone recommend to seal the roof surface now that it is clean. I do notice that the roof now has a very slight "Chalky" feel or look to it, so I think some sort of seal would be in order. I don't know what to use. I would love to hear about how others have handled this situation.
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Greetings,
We have a Journey 36GD that HAD a very dirty roof. Following about a day of hard work scrubbing with "Simple Green" and a 3M pad the roof is now gleaming white. It looks perfect. All the mould and pine pitch is gone. In the process of cleaning I was able to check out the roof to wall "J" seal and found it to be sound. My questions is: What does anyone recommend to seal the roof surface now that it is clean. I do notice that the roof now has a very slight "Chalky" feel or look to it, so I think some sort of seal would be in order. I don't know what to use. I would love to hear about how others have handled this situation.
Pine Tree
I can't help you with your question about the sealing of the roof. However, I highly recommend that you wax it to help further prevent any more deterioration from the weather. I had to clean mine for the same reason as you and after I waxed it, the chalky-like look was gone.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You will get many suggestions. Since it is a gel-coated fiberglass roof, any good automotive or marine wax or polish will shine it up for a while. I applaud folks who invest the time and effort into waxing the roof. I did it for a couple of times but it is just too hard on these old knees. NuFinish auto polish seemed to last as long as 3M marine wax. I've also put 303 Protectant on the roof.

A number of folks have recommended either Mop & Glo or Future acrylic floor polish. They are easy to apply....just mop them on with a rag or a sponge mop. I recently put some Future on a section of my roof to see how it would do. It created some gloss and it does seem to shed water more quickly than the untreated portion of the roof. I don't know how long it will last.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I can't tell yet how long it will last but I went the Mop & Glow route. I first cleaned with Clorox outdoor cleaner at a low dose mixture, a pump up sprayer and a stiff long handle deck brush. It doesn't sound like it was quite as bad as yours, just the black oxidation stuff but it went very well. Then we put the cover on.

We are leaving in a few days going from gray, cold, snow to sun and fun so that should test the Mop & Glow.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Liquid Glass Polish...

I had someone do my entire coach with Liquid Glass Polish. If you do a search on this forum you will find people raving about it. I couldn't find any store that had it in stock so I ordered it from Amazon.com. You will also find many reviews that give it 5 stars on Amazon. It can be applied in bright sunlight without a problem. It is not meant for rubber though. Some people reviewing on Amazon claim that it is great for the glass windshield. Supposed to be better than Rain X. Water just runs off the glass with no wipers needed. When I had my coach done I asked the people how they liked it. They said that it was easy to use and they did not have to find a place in the shade. They also mentioned that the instructions say that if you are going to do any caulking in the next 6 months, you must use the finest steel wool and mineral spirits to clean it off the area where you want caulk/sealant. I figure if it seals that good it is worth the money. I plan to have my coach treated every 6 months.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gary, would it be possible to come here and show me how to put Future on my roof. I find its not as laborius if someone that has had practice shows me how....LOL,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Gary, would it be possible to come here and show me how to put Future on my roof. I find its not as laborius if someone that has had practice shows me how....LOL,
Jim,

Any teenager with a sponge mop could be bribed to do it for a few bucks .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote