Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just got though cleaning my roof. However, I didn't attempt to clean off the black/grayish dirty gunk that coats the sealer-calk-like stuff (what is the technical name for that stuff?) that is slathered around the perimeter of all the items that are on the roof.

Do any of you clean that dirt off when you clean your roof? Or do you just leave it?

I may try to clean all that dirty gunk off when I have time but I'm sure it will be a painstaking task of getting it all off and then putting something on it as a preservative.

So 1) do any of you clean it? 2) if so, what do you use to scrub it off ...a brush? ...any good cleaner you can recommend? 3) What type of preservative do you apply if any?

Thanks!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just got though cleaning my roof. However, I didn't attempt to clean off the black/grayish dirty gunk that coats the sealer-calk-like stuff (what is the technical name for that stuff?) that is slathered around the perimeter of all the items that are on the roof.

Do any of you clean that dirt off when you clean your roof? Or do you just leave it?

I may try to clean all that dirty gunk off when I have time but I'm sure it will be a painstaking task of getting it all off and then putting something on it as a preservative.

So 1) do any of you clean it? 2) if so, what do you use to scrub it off ...a brush? ...any good cleaner you can recommend? 3) What type of preservative do you apply if any?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I were you, I would leave it alone. The caulking is simply dirty on the surface and I would not disturb it as long as it is still making a good seal.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have used Tilex mold and mildew spray with good results. Does not need to be done but once a year.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Cleaned mine off with soap and a white scrubbie. After it was all said and done and I was feeling proud of my accomplishment I had the thought "Wonder if that stuff helped to seal the opening?" Been about 18 months now and haven't noticed any leaks. Guess it was just dirty but I doubt if I would do it again.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Last winter I used liquid Dawn dish washing detergent and a soft long handled brush. Cleaned the roof and caulking like new.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

I feel like leaving the dirt on the caulking since it looks like such a pain to get it all off but I'll give it a try when I get up there again in the fall.

Do you guys recommend putting anything on the caulking to protect it from getting all that grime again after it's been cleaned?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update:

I tried the grease-cutting Dawn liquid, Simple Green, and a variety of other liquid cleaners and let them soak awhile and still, even with a brush, I had to scrub quite a bit to get it to come off and it still didn't all come off so I was going to give up for now.

Then I tried one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and I was speechless. I've used this product before with amazing results so I tried it on a small patch of the caulking around one of the antennas to see what it would do and it, again, it was amazing to see that the dirty grime came off quite easily.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...s/eraser.shtml

I'm not going to fool around with it right now but in the fall when I do the roof again, I'm going to buy a couple of boxes of this stuff.

I still don't know what to put on the caulking to prevent that dirty grime from accumulating again. Perhaps there's nothing to prevent it and you just have to get up there and clean it off every year. *shrugs shoulders*

OR ...do what BigRedLancer said and just leave it alone!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I may be extra lazy ... but to me the whole purpose of cleaning the roof is to get rid of the dirt, soot, and whatever else that is up there and runs down over the sides (front and back, too) when it rains or after heavy dew ...

The discoloration of the caulking is way down at the bottom of the list of things that matter to me because I don't think it contributes to the streaks on the sidewalls ...

I do my best not to disturb my caulking ...

This is just one old grandpa's opinion ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Just finished washing the coach and today the waxing began

You are referring to the Dicor self-leveling sealant. I use a pressure washer and Simple Green to wash the coach (since we always wax after the annual take-off-the-old wax wash.) The high pressure spray blasts off about 80% of the grime that gets trapped in the sealant pores on the roof.

Of course you need to be careful with the spray - don't get too close or you could damage something.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I use an old Hoover Scub N Buff (twin brush floor scrubber) with dish soap or some Simple Green. Watch you footing and don't slip.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #12

I just use the "Wash and Wax" on the roof and the sides of the motorhome. The self-leveling caulk comes out fairly clean, but the purpose was to clean the roof, not the caulk.

PS: If you use liquid Dawn, it will completely strip your wax off.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I'm slowly replacing all the caulking around the vents, solar panel, tv antenna, etc. with Eternabond tape. Doesn't seem to get as dirty and much more important to me, it will eliminate the re-caulking routine.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote