Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking about having the roof resealed when were GNR.
Do they check in first and only reseal if needed?
Any idea on cost?
Thanks, Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking about having the roof resealed when were GNR.
Do they check in first and only reseal if needed?
Any idea on cost?
Thanks, Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I was there last fall and they automatically checked the roof seams. They found some issues at the corners and caulked them for free since I was still under warranty. Otherwise they would ask permission first before doing the work and would have charged me. I don't know what the amount would have been. The good thing is that they are the experts and I trust them to do the job right.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Two years ago the labor rate was around $75 an hour.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They do check the roof IF you are in for service. They do NOT do it on the rally grounds. Also a gentle reminder is good when you go in for service. It can be a tad hectic during the GNR timeframe.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

When we had our Horizon and was in Forest City a few years ago for work, they did the check at no cost. He found a place where the caulk was in place but not sealed when you pushed in on the rounded edge of the roof. He said it needed re-caulking. I inquired as to the price and he said it was something like $400 back then. He encouraged me to do it myself as he felt that what they charged was too much. I bought the caulk from them and did it myself. Not hard to do, just use a painter's tool to cut out the oldl caulk then clean and recaulk. Biggest job was moving the ladder and setting it up each time. I ended up doing E-bond to make sure it lasted forever.
Oh yeah, I found out I don't bounce very well when the ladder fell with me on top.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I recently recaulked my roof but since the stuff Winne uses doesn't seem to hold up for more than 1 year, I'm trying 3M Marine Fast Cure 4000UV (about $20/cartridge from West marine). We'll see how it's doing 6 months and a year from now. I rented two sets of scaffolds for a week for $60 -- WELL WORTH IT. Just move the MH and not the ladder, and do 8 feet at a time. The biggest part of the job is prepping. In my case, almost all of the old caulk pulled right out, not stuck to anything. In the places where it was stuck,it was to the fiberglass and not the aluminum awning rail. Then I attached a strip of medium grit emery cloth to one side of a plastic putty spreader and used it to scratch the aluminum to give it some "tooth". I then wrapped a rag soaked with 3M Adhesive Cleaner around a putty knife and cleaned both the fiberglass and the aluminum, and then blew it out with compressed air. Finally I caulked the seam. I know this sounds like a lot of work. But if it holds up for 3, 4,or more years, it will be worth it. If it doesn't hold up, I'll chalk it up to experience.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

When I was at GNR in 2006, I request they check/repair foor side & cap seals as needed. The repair invoice said "removed/replaced sealant on sides & rear cap, $35.70 parts, $314.50 labor.

I have had several dealers check/repair the roof side sealant over the years, and have paid anywhere from $30 to $500 depending on how much they had to do.