Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Both Air Conditioning units are not blowing cold air. Everything seems to be normal except for the fact that it seems strange that both units would fail at the same time. The units are Coleman witht he Mach 3 controls.

Last year, about this time was the last time we used the air conditioning. They are ducted air units.

1999 Winnebago Chieftain Model 34Y

Thanks.. FrankieJ

My question is: is it possible that the controls are not kicking on the compressor? What would make both the controls mal function at the same time?

Is there a way to bypass or jump any of the controls to see if indeed the compressor is coming on?

Checked out current and the current is fine.

With 35 amp shore power or 7k generator, the results are the same.... cool air not cold. The interior temp does not get cooler ... not even by one degree.

Any help will be appreciated? Hote to spend the big $$$ only to find out it was something minor.

RV dealer service rep looked at it and determined I need two units.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Both Air Conditioning units are not blowing cold air. Everything seems to be normal except for the fact that it seems strange that both units would fail at the same time. The units are Coleman witht he Mach 3 controls.

Last year, about this time was the last time we used the air conditioning. They are ducted air units.

1999 Winnebago Chieftain Model 34Y

Thanks.. FrankieJ

My question is: is it possible that the controls are not kicking on the compressor? What would make both the controls mal function at the same time?

Is there a way to bypass or jump any of the controls to see if indeed the compressor is coming on?

Checked out current and the current is fine.

With 35 amp shore power or 7k generator, the results are the same.... cool air not cold. The interior temp does not get cooler ... not even by one degree.

Any help will be appreciated? Hote to spend the big $$$ only to find out it was something minor.

RV dealer service rep looked at it and determined I need two units.

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 08-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check your thermostat. It may be defective and is not calling for the compressor to kick on.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Frankie:

I'd have a hard time believing both of your AC's took a dive at the same time. Certainly someone with more technical expertise that I have will respond, but I'd suspect the thermostat is not telling the compressor/s to cut in. Both my Coleman's on our old 97 Adventurer cooled well when we traded it last year but the front thermostat was glitchy.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Last year, about this time was the last time we used the air conditioning. They are ducted air units. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankie,

Unfortunately it is a bit rough on an AC unit to be out of service for a whole year. You may just be in need of replacement due to the lack of use. Sometimes the compressors jamb up when the oil is not circulated regularly. It is a good idea to turn them on every few months even if you don't need to. I have had some home units free up by jogging them off and on a few times in rapid succession but.... Get a second opinion and see if it is the same. If it is try jogging the power a few times and if they kick over use them as long as they continue to run.

Regards,
Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Frankie,
Coleman A/C Units
Use this link to get the service manual for your unit. It should show you how the connector to the thermostat is wired. All you need to do is look for +12v dc on the compressor wire to make sure the roof unit is getting a call for cooling. If not you can just temporarily jumper +12v to that pin to see if compressor kicks on.

I owned a '99 Chieftain for 5 years. I replaced the stock thermostat with a $30 digital setback & worked great. On cold nites set it to come on 30 min before we get up.
Good luck!
Duner Bill
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

...one and all, thanks for the tips .. I'll try them all. Wll post results. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V