Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

roller blind not working

One of the room darkening blinds in the coach will not roll up; I have to put my fingers behind the valence to roll it manually. The day shade works fine. Has anyone fixed this type of problem? It seems to operate like the venetian blinds we had growing up with a spring that "sprung". Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

if they are an MCD shade, you can remove it from the mounting bracket and add tension to the spring by adjusting a flat-head-screw looking item on one side. (You'll have to press it in to turn it)

The other side can be adjusted to change the limit on how far you can extend the blind.
bigfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have you done this before and how difficult was it to do? Did you have to take the valence down and remove the blind to adjust? Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mounting clips hold them in place.

If I remember correctly, the black screw adjusts the tension, the grey screw sets the stop limit. You must push in on the screw to unlock it to add tension. Be careful to get the screw locked back into the detent after adding tension.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macevir View Post
Have you done this before and how difficult was it to do? Did you have to take the valence down and remove the blind to adjust? Thanks for the advice!

The blind (in my rig) is held in place by two spring-clips. I had to take down the valence in order to clearly see how things were assembled, but now that I know how it's built I can remove and reinstall without turning any screws.

It's not hard to adjust. My biggest issue with MCD shades is that the adjustment is required so frequently. These things seem to have the shelf life of raw milk.
bigfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
jheyder

Roller Blind Drivers Side 2014 Winnebago Forza 34T not working

Does anyone have a video on taking down AND adjusting the roller blind shade?
jheyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Roller Shade

If this is an MCD shade, call them. Their number can be found on the shade itself. They have a great support team that will walk you thru the fix.
Shelljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It would be nice if the OP would IDENTIFY what maker and model of roller blinds they have. There are a minimum FOUR brands of them.

1. MCD
2. Shade Pro
3. Blind Chalet
4. Steves Blinds

And most likely, more. We have Shade Pro. There is a knurled wheel, on each end of each shade. One is for tension and the opposite is for adjusting the stopping point. We need a bit more info for more accurate answers.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Blinds

Quote:
Go to the MCD website and pull up instructions on adjusting blinds.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well,
We'll ask again, WHAT BRAND of roller shades do you have? As I stated earlier, there are different makers of them. Adjustment CAN be done, while the shades are in place, up in the valances but, not in all cases. Some valances are tighter in dimensions and therefore, make it more difficult to get your fingers up in there for adjustment.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Macevir, we have MCD from
Texas. It has been almost a year now and I can't remember the exact process but it was not very difficult. I did replace all the 1/4" screws in the valences with 3/4" because one valence fell off.Once you understand the instructions the hardest part is being a contortionist to be able to see what you are doing.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I recently had an issue with our MCD dark shade. I contacted them via their website and they got right back with me. They explained how to take it apart and sent me a PDF explaining such. It's not that difficult. I did have to remove the shades from my Aspect but again it wasn't difficult....3 clips that a regular screw driver pushing on released them. It helps with another set of hands to just hold it while removing/installing. MCD thought I might have a broken spring but it turned out to merely be an adjustment issue. As previously stated, they have excellent customer service so give them a call or email them.

Al
Old 04-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I apologize that I don't get a chance to visit the forum everyday. The blinds are MCD; but the problem has been placed on the back burner for now. DH is busy refurbishing our oldest daughter's townhouse (fire and water damage) and he is there from sun up to sun down. Thank you all for your replies and comments! I agree with Exbuckeye, to be a contortionist is needed. The shade is behind the "j" part of the sofa and hard to get at.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

They can be a real challenge to get at and remove, especially the longer ones behind a valance. In my case, all the adjusting steps didn't work. The adjusting guts are cheap plastic, and were broken inside, and needed to be replaced.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

And it happens to be a longer blind, behind the couch. I'm rolling it up by hand and when I do, I hear a rattle. I bet it's broken. Such is life! Thanks for your reply. Debbie
Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
And it happens to be a longer blind, behind the couch. I'm rolling it up by hand and when I do, I hear a rattle. I bet it's broken. Such is life! Thanks for your reply. Debbie
The two that weren't working for me were also long ones behind the couch and at the dinette. Both were just slightly under 60" long. The fix for me was to replace the plastic roller end assemblies with metal ones provided by MCD. The plastic assemblies had a disk that was slipping inside the end cap causing it to lose tension. Both work great now.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Yes, these days everything is cheap plastic, even the parts in our roller binds in our screened porch at home. Fortunately the blinds company sends us free replacement cheap plastic.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #18
jheyder

Yes, I found the same thing about getting them off in certain areas.
Contact MCD about blinds not working on a 2014 Winnebago Forza 34T and they would not honor their product. They want $150 for one replacement and will not sell the guts for us to fix ourselves.
Very aggravating to say the least.
jheyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The parts can be found reasonbly on the internet and large box stores sometimes.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Roller Shades (non-manual) stop 1/4 way down

Both the solar and blackout shades are on switches. Both shades come down about 1/4 of the way then stop.........since they are not manual I can't pull them down, so why are they stopping?
thanks in advance,
Randy Brown
coachrb is offline   Reply With Quote