Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rodents on top of engine.

Time to think about winterizing, and need to address a new concern. Our '98 Brave had rodent nest and droppings (suspect rats/packrats) on and around the engine (Ford V10). The RV is kept under a Carport outside, have not came up with a solution to this problem yet, and feel very lucky as I have not found any wiring damage. No operational problems. Suggestions appreciated. Have already decided against poisons, and have read that repellents are not effective.
Jim in SE Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Best trap some to see what it is.
If pack rats, they are nocturnal and cant stand lights. Rope lights in the engine compartment and under the RV should keep them out. Standard practice in the desert.
Rats? Traps with peanut butter. Check often.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You ca use Bounce dryer sheets too but have to remember to take them off engine as they would cause a fire.

We put the dryer sheets in all our drawers inside of the RV just in case they get it but I have plugged all holes up underneath with steel wool on my previous RV.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Try this Use RV Antifreeze so the water will not freeze.
Redneck Mouse Trap!
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would put out traps and the rope lights. If none trapped, packrats prevented. Otherwise, rats.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Try a product called critter out. We have been using it for 10 yrs. it's a minty non toxic spray a little pricey but it works.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have been using old socks with mothballs inside. Seems to work for ground squirrels (that's what I have here), don't know about rats.

Side note:

While camping, I opened my hood which I rarely do while camping and found a mom cat and 5 kittens scattered around my radiator and fan. Some one had driven through and dumped them. I got the kittens and called animal control. Later I found a dead rabbit and two field mice that the mom cat had stashed on top of my engine.

Huge mess averted through sheer dumb luck.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the rodent problem two or three years ago. They had a big nest built around and under the breather on the engine and on top of the battery bank.
I discovered it when we cranked to leave on a trip. The auto park would not disengage. I investigated and found the nest. Those skeesters had cut 13 electric wires. They didn't just cut and leave the wires.
They transported the wires to the nest. They stole wires from the auto park, the generator and up underneath and in front of the left front wheel.
With the help of OLD USED Bear, I was able to make the repair. I then placed a packet of pellets on top of the battery bank. It is still there. They never returned.
Try the suggestions made above and hopefully you can get rid of them. I hope you don't have any damage to repair.