Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #21

I am surprised by all the extermination suggestions. So I went to Amazon and searched for Rid-A-Rat... but found this LED Strobe product (120V-AC) that received 5-Stars from 262 buyers!!! Plus it has a reasonable price of $30. So I'm going to order one. And it sounds like it should last forever.

So here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Roxant-Pulse-...use+led+strobe

It's called: Roxant Pulse ULTRA Bright LED Strobe Light, and it's motion and sound controlled.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Wow sounds like a winner with the added sound activation and lower price than ridarat!
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to a study from the U of Arizona on the effectiveness of ultrasonic devices (does not address LEDs) on pests. Their comment regarding rats is:

In a study testing the effectiveness of an ultrasonic device
on rats and mice, it was found that they had a mild aversion
to the sound (Greaves and Rowe 1969). However, this dislike
diminished over time, especially after a reliable food source
was discovered near the sonic device. Even after the food
source was removed the rats and mice continued to explore
the room with ultrasonic sound, expressing habituation to the
sound. Habituation is a decrease in response to a stimulus,
and is often cited in studies testing the efficacy of sonic pest
devices. For example, initial sound emitted from sonic devices
may be interpreted as a threat, but after a short period passes
without physical harm pests grow more comfortable. The
researchers in this particular study do suggest that well placed
ultrasonic devices may aid in repelling pests.

https://extension.arizona.edu/sites/...Z1639-2015.pdf

My takeaway from this is that one's results can be good if you're repelling roaming rodents so they never gain a foothold in your rig, but once a stubborn one gets in and finds food, all bets are off. The units might be more effective in an RV due to it's small size. In a building, they could inhabit a relatively quiet space and gradually move into the louder, more protected area, acclimating to the sound as they go.

For $30 it's worth a try, $100 or more, I don't think so unless I really had a problem and tried everything else.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I have to agree with the Fresh Cab. buy it on Amazon. We store ours on my daughter's farm with all kinds of critters and this has been great. I also have the sonic devices inside.

Another tidbit of information. To keep the ants out, spread AJAX or other cleanser on the ground around all of the tires. Ants don't like it.
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The Winnebago forum on irv2.com contains a post about dryer sheets. The poster said he found a mouse nest made out of dryer sheets in his MH.
There is a pet-safe mouse bait station designed by an irv2.com member. It consists of 1 3/4" pvc tee, 3 12" lengths of 3/4" pvc pipe, 1 3/4" pipe cap, 1 12" length of 1/4" all-thread 3 nuts and one flat washer. The side pipes are open, the top pipe is drilled to accept the all-thread, which is permanently attached with 2 nuts. The mouse bait blocks have a hole through them already, they are slid over the all-thread and secured with the washer and remaining nut. As mice eat the blocks the next one falls down, but none of the bait can leave the bait station.
That's the best I can describe his invention, sorry - no picture; the picture is in his irv2.com post.

THANKS for your service... we too are a miltary family...

could you please share the IRV post linkage mentioned?
bobbyd1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1655 View Post
THANKS for your service... we too are a miltary family...

could you please share the IRV post linkage mentioned?
NeilV posted the instructions in 2008.
Here is that old thread: Any devices to keep mice and rats away - iRV2 Forums
This is a picture of a commercially sold one.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, roof