Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone had to replace a windshield on their late model Winny? The info on the lower corner of the glass shows "Winnebago" - does that mean the new one has to come from the Winnebago factory? The glass shop I usually use wasn't sure where or how they would get the new one. Any help? Thanks
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone had to replace a windshield on their late model Winny? The info on the lower corner of the glass shows "Winnebago" - does that mean the new one has to come from the Winnebago factory? The glass shop I usually use wasn't sure where or how they would get the new one. Any help? Thanks
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Both of mine were replaced last June at a Winnebago dealership, and they sub-contracted a local glass shop to do the work. The windshields were shipped from Winnebago in IA. It probably would be very surprising to find one through anyone else as they probably fit only Winnebagos.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Paul - It looks like it may prove to be hard to get a Winny windshield shipped to a local glass installer when there are no Winny dealerships in the area. Guess I'll need to call Forest City.
Wagonmaster2
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Local glass shop replaced mine about 3 years ago. Exact same windshield, they ordered it from Winnie's supplier direct. Took about 7 days to arrive. I had ask them if they ordered from Winnebago and they said no, came from manufacturer.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You can get them from www.rvglassparts.com or www.coachglass.com amongst others. Be sure to look atthe metal bracket that hold the windshield in. Winny uses brackets and a steel frame rather than a grommet to retain the windshield. The brackets have been known to rust and might break off when you remove the windshield. Those you'll need to get from Winny if you need them.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I believe Duncan Systems is a recommended source for replacement glass.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are two companies that most insurance companies use. I had mine replaced at the Winnebago factory, but my insurance company, American Family Insurance, used Duncan Systems; for whom the Winnebago factory is an authorized installer. I can't remember the other companies name, but your insurance company should have it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the excellent responses. I'll pass this on to my installer. When I talked to him yesterday he sounded like he had no idea where to get an exact replacement expecially since the original one had "Winnebago" down on one corner. Guess he assumed it was made by Winnebago. The scary part is if those brackets are busted and have to be ordered from Winnebago it could set several days without a windshield and the glass installer doesn't have a shop big enough to get the coach in. Don't know if we can order them from Winny ahead of time just in case, surely they wouldn't be very expensive. The installer also didn't know whether the windshield was mounted in rubber or glued in (he hasn't seen the coach yet). My '97 Southwind windshield was mounted and held in place by rubber caskets.
I may have to make the 700 mile trip to Forest City this spring to have the top of the front cap and roof shoulders repainted so maybe I should wait and let the factory replace the windshield considering all the 'what ifs'. Thanks for all the responses.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The installer also didn't know whether the windshield was mounted in rubber or glued in (he hasn't seen the coach yet). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wagonmaster2

Your windshields are glued to the metal framework with urethane cement. I don't know the "stength" of the cement, but I'm sure Winnebago Owner Relations could tell you that (800-537-1885). If you call, you need the s/n of your coach available for them to reference. They could probably tell you where you can get the windshield too...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We recently had both our windshields replaced by Wilkinson Glass at 360 590 0207. Mike Wilkinson ordered our windshields and contacted us when they were available and came to our location and installed them.
He works on the West Coast in Wa, Az,Or, and Ca.

Your guy does not sound fully qualified and your idea of waiting till you go to the Factory is probably the way to go.

If you were going to be out West I would urge you to contact Mike as he is very knowledgable in his field.

The Factory should be well equipped should you need the lifters to hold your glass and have all the glues and sealants to do the job.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm not as far from the factory as you, only 550 miles, but I think it was well worth the trip. There are a lot of things to consider. The paramount thought I had was it not being correctly installed and blowing out going down the road, my second concern was potential leaks and my third concern was damaging the interior while installing the glass. The factory did a great job, I had my insurance company contact the factory and then just showed up to wait for install. You can make an appointment if you arrange at least 6 weeks prior to when you want it done. This varies with the time of year. As an aside the factory charge was less than a local installer by $300.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

As with others, my insurance co. turned the glass claim over to Duncan Systems. My local glass shop (Auto Glass Service) called Duncan with the coach serial number and the new windshield arrived in 4-5 days. Genuine Winnebago w/s. Installation was straightforward, using a special glass adhesive. Warranted against leaks.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

wagonmaster2,

We had a rock put a stone bruise in the driver's side during our cross country trip. By the time we got home, I had a crack running through the chip. I reported it to our insurance company (Gilberts), & they authorized replacement. They provided several names of installers near us that were qualified to do motorhomes, that they had done business with before, and would install it at the house. I called one of them and I told them I wanted Winnebago glass, but they showed up with one from CoachGlass. I was hesitant, but they assured me that if I wasn't happy they would replace it, no charge. Well, the tint, shading, everything matched perfectly. Only difference is the little emblem down in the corner. I wouldn't be concerned with sticking to Winnebago glass. Also, no leaks! They did caution not to drive it and not to slam the door until everthing was cured (next day).
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote