Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2023, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool Replacing Shower Skylight

In a previous post on this forum

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...1g-365525.html

I spoke about a cracked skylight on my 2018 Minnie Winnie 31G. I have a replacement on the way, not a WBGO one, and was wondering something about installation. I had a tow behind RV in the past and learned about Eternabond tape. I was thoroughly impressed with its performance with sealing, so my plan is to use the double sided tape to seal skylight to roof but wanted opinions about what to use after. Should I seal the skylight with the WBGO roof sealant (black) or use the Eternabond tape to seal it to the roof? I would like your thoughts and experiences with either or both products

Thanks, TimeshareRV
TimeshareRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We've replaced 2 skylights with the WBGO recommended sealant after thoroughly cleaning the roof surface - no problems. I like E-tape - just don't want to mess with it if I ever have to remove the skylights again.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What was the concern with WGBO's Engineered solution?

I believe it is called Manus Bond. I don't know that WBGO's solution is the best, but they have thousands and thousands of Engineering man hours on the roof sealants. I feel very good with going with WBGO's recommendation.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As long as you use something like VHB out UHB I believe the double sided tape would work. I would just make certain you have the entire skylight with the Manus bond to make certain you don't have any leaks between joints.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don't use two-sided tape.

I wouldn't use two-side tape on the new skylight. It will be really hard to remove if you have to replace it again.

I had to replace the skylight on my 2022 Sunstar when it was just a few months old. The OEM unit cracked all along the edge of the black sealant used by the factory. I found an aftermarket replacement that was better quality. After cleaning the surfaces with alcohol, I used butyl tape between roof and skylight and covered the screws and joint with white Dicor.

It is recommended that you not use Dicor on a Winnebago, but that is because the factory used a silicon based product and nothing else will stick to it. However, if you clean the surface you can use whatever you want and I really don't like black sealant on a beige roof.

It has been about a year and the seal is in good shape. Also replaced the exhaust fans the same way and all is well.
DustyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Skylight

Go to YouTube and watch AZ expert where he does a replacement. He has done several Winnebago roof repairs.
Travato john
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think that you're overthinking this. It's a relatively simple process once all the old sealant is cleaned. I agree with using Winnebago suggested sealants and Manus Bond 75 AM is what you want to use between the skylight and the roof.

I'd advise against VHB tape to mount the skylight. it's an adhesive, not a sealant/adhesive like Manus Bond. The Manus Bond and SS screws are the way to go. Make sure the Manus Bond is oozing out of the screw holes before installing the screws. After the skylight is installed, you can use Winnebago's recommended lap sealant (not Dicor) to seal the edges and screw holes or, as I did, you can use Eternabond tape. You can also use Eternabond on top of the lap sealant after it dries. It's a bit messy to remove but you shouldn't have to do so unless you break the new skylight or the tape starts to deteriorate after a few years. I'd rather deal with that than with periodically re-caulking everything. Besides, I think it looks neater than the globs and globs of sealant you see on RV roofs.

The tough part about removing Eternabond is removing the sticky stuff under the white layer of tape. The nice thing is, if you're just renewing it, the sticky layer doesn't need to be removed. You can apply new tape on top of it once the white layer is peeled off. Removing the sticky stuff can be a pain but there are a lot of Youtube videos on how to do it along with info from 3m.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am about to replace my 2001 adventurer 35U shower skylight as well. I've used Manus Bond to seal the roof channels last year but what is the name of the Manus self-leveling sealant that I should use under the skylight flange?
MB1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

According to Winnebago's sealant callout sheet for the 2001 35U, the proper sealants are Winnebago part numbers: 131264-01-02A and 131264-03-01A:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._g_sealant.pdf

131264-03-01A - Several sources cross-references this to Nuco 311 Self Leveling Silicone, which goes on top and edges of the skylight.

I can't find any info on part # 131264-02-02A which would go between the skylight and the roof.

I know from several posts that Lichtsinn RV has been helpful to others and may be easier to contact than Winnebago. They should be able to help you (I'd try calling first):

https://www.lichtsinn.com/

Be aware that these products all have an expiration date and can dry up even if not opened, so don't be tempted to buy extra.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I called Lichtsinn. The part # 131264-02-02A is a discontinued beige color silicone. Thanks for the help! No wonder nobody can find it anywhere.
MB1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised they didn't have a suggested replacement. I looked at the 2023 sealant callout sheet for the Adventurer and it only lists one sealant, Winnebago part # 329294-01-01A instead of two. You could just order this from Winnebago or Lichtsinn and use it for both on top and under the skylight.

Alternatively just use the Nuco 311 for both under the skylight and on top.

Just make sure that all surfaces are super clean. I've seen that rubbing alcohol is recommended.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm still waiting for my skylight to arrive.
TimeshareRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Make sure to remove your inner skylight before you mount your new outer skylight so that sealant doesn't ooze out on to it. If its screws aren't already SS, It's a good idea to replace them with SS screws.

Tags
light, shower