Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I was checking a couple of things out yesterday when I discovered a hose leaking hydraulic fluid, rear bedroom slide. Funny, once I found the leak, it was easy to see the fluid everywhere. The leak itself is in the rear water/power basement compartment just over the converter/inverter. I've cleaned up some of the fluid, still more to go. Fortunately, the converter/inverter is okay (but it won't rust now...).

I've searched the forum and found HWH has a recall on hoses, so I'll contact them Monday.

Question(s), has anyone attempted to replace the hydraulic hoses themselves? If yes, are there any pit falls I should be aware of? I hate to take it in to my dealer, while they do good work, getting an appointment is difficult, and I have to figure they'll have it for days... Normally it's easier and faster to do repairs myself.

TIA
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I was checking a couple of things out yesterday when I discovered a hose leaking hydraulic fluid, rear bedroom slide. Funny, once I found the leak, it was easy to see the fluid everywhere. The leak itself is in the rear water/power basement compartment just over the converter/inverter. I've cleaned up some of the fluid, still more to go. Fortunately, the converter/inverter is okay (but it won't rust now...).

I've searched the forum and found HWH has a recall on hoses, so I'll contact them Monday.

Question(s), has anyone attempted to replace the hydraulic hoses themselves? If yes, are there any pit falls I should be aware of? I hate to take it in to my dealer, while they do good work, getting an appointment is difficult, and I have to figure they'll have it for days... Normally it's easier and faster to do repairs myself.

TIA
Old 04-16-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you can reach the fittings, you can change the hose yourself. Place something under the fittings when you take them off as some fluid may leak. You do not have to purchase a HWH hose. Just take your old hose to the store and they can make up a new one for you while you wait. Once installed cycle the slide a few times to work any air out of the lines.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Bill,

Thanks for the reply, I plan to call HWH tomorrow. I've also located a local supplier that can make up pretty much any type of hydraulic line I may need..
Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
gMw
Winnebago Owner

FYI: I contacted HWH, nice people to talk with, and it took a couple of calls to get just the right information for them. As it turns out, the hydraulic hoses in the rear bedroom slide of our Journey are covered by the HWH recall, and I was informed that Winnebago has a service bulletin out on this problem.

In a nut shell, the fluid leak is between the hose itself and the coupling crimped to the end of the hose. If you have a similar hydraulic fluid leak, the part number you want to find and communicate to HWH, is written on the hose in white letters, every 10" to 12 " or so, and begins with "HWW".

Based on the information provided by HWH, I'll have this fixed by my dealer, it goes in on May 10th.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Oooops the part number begins with "HWH", not "HWW"..

Sorry 'bout that
Old 04-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Be nice if they were to post on forums or contact the original owners about recalls. Would make them look a lot better. Imagine the person who takes it to a dealer, has it there for a few weeks, ends up paying the dealer for the repair and then finding out about the recall. I for one would be a little upset. Would NOT trust my local dealer to tell me about a recall and to do the work for free. He'd charge me and then they would charge the manufacturer too, that's how that crowd operates. Glad you turned out good on this one.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote