Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing door window questions

Some bozo broke into our 2007 Itasca Sunrise by smashing the window on the entry door. We are being told by the dealer that Winnie no longer makes that size window and the replacement is slightly larger and a new opening will have to be cut. Bottom line is a quote for $1300 for the window & 4 hours labor at $110 for the install. Does this seem reasonable? I just can't imagine that the door window isn't standard with a one size fits all. Your thoughts?
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Itasca View Post
Some bozo broke into our 2007 Itasca Sunrise by smashing the window on the entry door. We are being told by the dealer that Winnie no longer makes that size window and the replacement is slightly larger and a new opening will have to be cut. Bottom line is a quote for $1300 for the window & 4 hours labor at $110 for the install. Does this seem reasonable? I just can't imagine that the door window isn't standard with a one size fits all. Your thoughts?

Have you checked with a regular glass shop? Anything is going to be cheaper than a dealer.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sorry for your misfortune.

No that does NOT seem even vaguely reasonable. I bet if you took the door off and took it to a glass shop or even a mobil glass repair service could do it for a LOT less. Shop around. Did you call the factory?

Hope your insurance covers it and any losses you may have incurred.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I read a post on another forum where a guy took out the standard window and replaced with stained glass. According to him it took some time but was easy enough to do. I agree - check around you should be able to get the job done for much less.
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The window was one of those thermopane - 2 pieces of sealed glass and tinted. So the insurance guy says no normal glass shop could replace it. Called service and they said to talk to dealer. Still floors me that window isn't some standard stocked item. I would think most of the break ins would be through this window.

As an aside: take a few minutes to record and documents the contents of your MH. Nothing worse than standing there with the police trying to think what you had in each drawer let alone all the electronics....
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Had my door window replaced at a glass shop, cost me $80.00
edggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't think the insurance guy knows what he is talking about. You might try e mailing or calling RV Glass solutions and see what they have to say.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I replaced the window with single pane instead of thermopane don't think there is much differance
edggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Most RV and TT use a 12" x 21'' Radius-Cornered Window. I bet this is what you have also. It has been a industry stantard for years. Sounds like the dealer is blowing a little smoke up your checkbook.

Try PPL RV parts on google. They have them for around 50.00 bucks frame and all. You can remove and install in about 30 min. When you order also get a tube of what ever sealent they recommend. Its a easy job. with a #2 square drive or # 2 Phillips witch ever screws you have.

Also you can just google RV door windows and it will pull up a ton of suppliers.

Hope this helps, Enjoy the Holidays with the money you saved.

George
Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you go to search and type in "fogged windows" you will find lots of people that can fix your window. I know yours is broken but give it a try. I am sure there is someone that can make you a new one
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Call Atwood Mobile Products the window supplier (563-422-5641) to purchase replacement glass. Your window # 150651-07-01A they will email you a drawing of your window to check size. My door window was also broken. The coast will around 75.00 I replaced it myself.
Look luck!

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank (Wires) & Jean View Post
Call Atwood Mobile Products the window supplier (563-422-5641) to purchase replacement glass. Your window # 150651-07-01A they will email you a drawing of your window to check size. My door window was also broken. The coast will around 75.00 I replaced it myself.
Look luck!
X2
We just replaced the passengers side window on our 01 Adventurer. I called Atwood and had the exact replacement dual pane window in hand in less than a week. It was also considerably cheaper than going through Winnebago.

The factory would only replace the entire assembly at a cost of $2000.00. Dealers would order just the glass for $350.00, and Atwood sent the glass out for $150.00 including shipping. The only thing you'll need in addition to the glass is some butyl tape which can be found at almost any RV dealer.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You can do it yourself for a lot less.

Easy RV Window Replacement

Motor Home Motorhome Windshields, RV Replacement Windows and RV Glass, Recreational Vehicles, RVs

Dick
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Here's a tutorial on replacing some of the dual pane windows on Winnebago products.

http://www.rampknot.net/window_repai...ndowRepair.pdf

While the window you are replacing is different the principles remain the same. There are instructions on page 10 for determining the exact part number for your window. Be careful when going to the Winnebago site. There are 2 diagrams, 1 for single pane windows and another for dual pane windows.

I followed the instructions when identifying the window for our motorhome and they worked perfectly. The people at Atwood were extremely friendly and helpful. The lady that actally takes and ships the orders works from 5:30 AM to 2:30 PM Central Time. She is very knowledgable and will help you through the process.

Just a caution. If you decide to do it yourself make sure you do it in a heated garage or in warm weather if it's done outside. The process is straight forward but the butyl tape that seals the window in place gets stiff and extremely hard to remove in cool weather. We did ours this fall when it was 50*F. It took qite a bit of time to remove the window without damaging the frame. Also the residue left on the coach was difficult to remove. In weather of 70*F or warmer it should go much easier.

Just a note, the nmber in the tutorial is no longer in service. The correct number is at the top right of the Atwood Mobile home page.
RV Components, Gas Appliances, Marine Products, Chassis Components, Seating Systems, Windows and Doors from Atwood Mobile

Tags
door, window