Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacing Dinette and Carpet

I have removed the dinette and will replace that with table and chairs. We have created a buffet under the window with three kitchen base units. We want to replace the carpet with vinyl tiles but are worried abut the shoe under the slide that was designed for carpet. One option is to retain the carpet out to the point that the shoe comes when the slide is in all the way. I was thinking another option is to build my own shoe on the leading edge of the slide using hard wood wrapped with carpet, adjusted so that it would bear most of the weight. If I did that my concern is how to transition from carpet to tile.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I have removed the dinette and will replace that with table and chairs. We have created a buffet under the window with three kitchen base units. We want to replace the carpet with vinyl tiles but are worried abut the shoe under the slide that was designed for carpet. One option is to retain the carpet out to the point that the shoe comes when the slide is in all the way. I was thinking another option is to build my own shoe on the leading edge of the slide using hard wood wrapped with carpet, adjusted so that it would bear most of the weight. If I did that my concern is how to transition from carpet to tile.
Have you got any answers or info on replacing the carpeting, can you post any pictures of what you have now and plan to do - we are also wanting to do this and have been told we cannot replace with anything but carpeting because of our slide runners (that they are made for carpet), love to have any info you find on this subject.
Thanks, Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Pace89 did what you are doing except he installed laminate flooring. If you do a search on his screen name you can see pictures of how he did it.

I left the dinette as is and installed laminate.

We both left the original shoes in place.
So far I have had no problems - except for one scratch where Damncat had batted a paper clip under the slide before we got the trim in place.

I cut the carpet in front of the slide leaving enough so it could be stapled down securely and then used a T molding - available from Armstrong - to cover the edge of the carpet and the laminate.

I used door sweep strips between the slide and the baseboard we installed. That keeps any small rocks or paperclips from getting under the slides.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi if interested my projects (including laminate floor/dinette removal) are at:

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/sight04

(Thanks for the reference Clay L)
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have progressed to the point where I think I will cut of the dinette portion of the slide to be even with the couch part. It appears that there may be two shoes under the dinette area. It also appears that the existing shoe would work ok on the tile. If necessary I can build a shoe on the leading edge of the slide for the dinette section. I had to put 1/4" underlayment across the entire floor as the existing floor is too rough and has a lot of holes where it was screwed to the frame.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John that is an interesting approach, cutting the slide to match the couch; I never thought of that. Are you going to take it (slide) to the back wall or leave that part as is ? Please post photos when you are finished.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
John that is an interesting approach, cutting the slide to match the couch; I never thought of that. Are you going to take it (slide) to the back wall or leave that part as is ? Please post photos when you are finished.
I am going to leave that as is. We are creating a buffet with 3 kitchen base cabinets with two 24" and one 27" in the center. Each has a drawer and two doors. The bottom of the side cabinets has a pull out slide.

I tried to call Winnebago to get a drawing of the slide, but they are closed for the 4th yet. The drawing on line doesn't match mine, so it must be a "typical" with some variations in the shoes.

I will post pictures when finished.