Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

replacing ceiling bulbs

I have a 2012 Journey with my first burned out bulb. The fixture appears as a puck light or a frizby that is flush with the ceiling. I am cautious about prying off the lens without previous experience. Any help?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Try twisting off the lens. That's the way it works on our pancake ceiling lights.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your light sounds like ours which just twist to remove. It does not take much pressure to rotate it. Ours is either hard plastic or glass material. Good Luck.

If you wait till you get down here I can bring my axe over and get it out for you.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Luckiest Dre,
If they're the lights I think you're talking about, like other replies have stated, it's more than likely a twist that will get the lens off, counter clockwise, if I recall. And, it's not very far, less than a 1/4 turn. Again, if they're what I think they are, they should be a "G-4" base and they're a 10 watt halogen bulb. The G-4 base is a two-pin base and those lights get seriously hot, even after a few minutes use. I changed all of mine to LEDs and can have all six of them on for hours and it won't use as much juice as one did in a few minutes. And, they put out some real nice light too. Just a thought here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like waiting for the Axe is a sure thing!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Some of the covers come off easily but others are a pain. For the tight ones leather gloves give you better grip. Mine are mostly 20W halogens and some are 10W. I replaced most with LEDs I bought on ebay for $ 2.09 including shipping. The halogens are about $3 at WalMart. Some of the LEDs didn't work until I took down the whole fixture (very easy) and reversed the wires. The LEDs are about as bright as the 10Ws and stay cool. In 21,000 miles I had to replace a lot of the halogens but not one LED (they haven't been in that long).
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I need the axe... have four that will not twist off. Tom Johnson at marion could not get them off either. All afraid to tear ceiling!
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have been replacing the 12v ceiling bulbs with LED lights. They work great and you'll never have to change them again

Shipping took about 2 weeks, but no problems.

Here is the order Information:

Qty (5) Get the G4 6x 3-chip $4.66 Each

LB-12SG46S

5 x G4 12v 6x 3-Chip 5050 SMD Led Cool or Warm White 1.2w=12W (LB-12SG46S)
= $26.75
Led Color Warm White

G4 LED Replacement Bulb Globes Lamps Halogen Light Bulbs Lighting

12V G4 LED Replacement Bulb Globes Lamps Halogen Light Bulbs

LB-12SG46SG4 12v 6x 3-Chip 5050 SMD Led Cool or Warm White 1.2w=12W

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I have been replacing the 12v ceiling bulbs with LED lights. They work great and you'll never have to change them again

Shipping took about 2 weeks, but no problems.

Here is the order Information:

Qty (5) Get the G4 6x 3-chip $4.66 Each

LB-12SG46S

5 x G4 12v 6x 3-Chip 5050 SMD Led Cool or Warm White 1.2w=12W (LB-12SG46S)
= $26.75
Led Color Warm White

G4 LED Replacement Bulb Globes Lamps Halogen Light Bulbs Lighting

12V G4 LED Replacement Bulb Globes Lamps Halogen Light Bulbs

LB-12SG46SG4 12v 6x 3-Chip 5050 SMD Led Cool or Warm White 1.2w=12W

Sir,
Almost the exact same ones I used for replacement. I got them from the place advertised at the top of this page. www.superbrightleds.com and, the prices were fair, and the shipping was too. I've purchased several LEDs from them in multiple fixtures through out the coach and love all of them. We use way less juice and the heat build up is almost non-existent. It can be a real pain to get some of those Puck light lens's off but, some persistence can be rewarding.

I personally like the "cool white" LEDs but, the DW, she's into the "Warm white" ones so, guess what, it's the Warm white ones for most of the applications in the interior. I've done all the compartment lights in TOWER LEDs and wow, a huge difference in brightness. Anyway, hope this helps the OP some. Good luck.
Scott
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A counter clockwise turn worked! It turned with resistance, I was surprised! I dropped it on the tile floor and it broke into a million pieces!
#4$%&^, Beginning to love this MH! Gotta spread the blame for my clumsiness somewhere!
Should of used the AXE.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Gee and I was planning on sharpening the axe tomorrow am. Now I'm going to have to do something meaningful. Sorry to hear you dropped it after all the work. Might give a call to US Adventure RV and order one and have them send it down to TX.

Also I think the DonWes Flea Mkt has sticky gloves in your size. Don't tell Cec that I said that though.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Just a tip on removing the lens/cover on the ceiling puck lights. Like many others I found many of mine impossible to remove--until I discovered the secret. The trick is to take a small blunt knife blade (or other thin, sturdy item) and slide it between the ceiling material and the light cover, all the way around. This breaks any 'sticky' seal between the cover and the ceiling material and makes every one come off very easily when you twist it gently by hand.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Just a tip on removing the lens/cover on the ceiling puck lights. Like many others I found many of mine impossible to remove--until I discovered the secret. The trick is to take a small blunt knife blade (or other thin, sturdy item) and slide it between the ceiling material and the light cover, all the way around. This breaks any 'sticky' seal between the cover and the ceiling material and makes every one come off very easily when you twist it gently by hand.
On many MH's the puck lights in the ceiling are held in with a pair of spring clips on the outer shell of the fixture. I found it was easier to remove the glass once I had pulled the fixture down out of the ceiling. Then using two hands, one on the fixture and one on the glass, the glass cover was much easier to remove.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
A counter clockwise turn worked! It turned with resistance, I was surprised! I dropped it on the tile floor and it broke into a million pieces!
#4$%&^, Beginning to love this MH! Gotta spread the blame for my clumsiness somewhere!
Should of used the AXE.
Welcome to the puck lens on the floor group; I have broke two so far. Going to buy several spares when I get to NewMar factory!
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Terry,
You don't have to wait to get to the Newmar factory. Camping World and other RV supplies places sell those same lights. They come in multiple colors, brass, brushed nickle, white and more.
Marine Boat RV Courtesy Halogen Light Brushed Plated Recessed Mounting 12V | eBay

The link above is from ebay. Camping Worlds are cheaper. They are called 10 Watt Halogen recessed lights.
Scott
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to NEVER touch new halogen bulbs. The oil in your fingers will kill them within a few weeks. Always wear rubber gloves to instal them.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Ceiling Lites

I use a small clamp with the rubber pads to remove my lens. All it takes is to push them up against the ceiling material, tighten the clamp, and turn it. Haven't dropped one yet.
I've replaced the halogens with G4 15 LED 240 Warm White 3 Watt AC DC Lamps for RV's. A outfit called Scintiluna sells them on EBAY for about $9.00 and delivers them 1st class mail in 3-4 days.
These bulbs are very close to the halogens in color and brightness. To use them in the smaller fixtures, just nip off about 1/4" and they will slip right in. It's just a bear to try to line up the pegs with the holes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I use a small clamp with the rubber pads to remove my lens. All it takes is to push them up against the ceiling material, tighten the clamp, and turn it. Haven't dropped one yet.
I've replaced the halogens with G4 15 LED 240 Warm White 3 Watt AC DC Lamps for RV's. A outfit called Scintiluna sells them on EBAY for about $9.00 and delivers them 1st class mail in 3-4 days.
These bulbs are very close to the halogens in color and brightness. To use them in the smaller fixtures, just nip off about 1/4" and they will slip right in. It's just a bear to try to line up the pegs with the holes
Yep,
Changed mine ours out about a year ago along with just about every bulb in the RV and all the compartment lights and it's way better. I too had some issues when removing the lens's. I used a pair of large pliers with rubber feet. Works slick.
Scott

Tags
ceiling