Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

The new Adventurer floor plans show a plan with vinyl planking from the stove all the way to the dinnette. There is no carpeting between the two.

I would like to do the same thing in my '99 chieftain (35U). The planking would be thinner than the current worn carpeting. If I glue the vinyl planking down is there any reason I can not do this myself?? Winnebago quoted me 5,500.00 to replace all the carpeting, thats above my pay grade.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Bill62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

The new Adventurer floor plans show a plan with vinyl planking from the stove all the way to the dinnette. There is no carpeting between the two.

I would like to do the same thing in my '99 chieftain (35U). The planking would be thinner than the current worn carpeting. If I glue the vinyl planking down is there any reason I can not do this myself?? Winnebago quoted me 5,500.00 to replace all the carpeting, thats above my pay grade.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There have been some instances of marring of vinyl (when carpet is removed) caused by small foreign matter (grit/sand/etc) when the slide is moved in/out. Could cause substantial issues, unless Winnie has solved the problem. Caveat Emptor.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We replaced the carpet from the bathroom to just behind the driver/passenger seats in our Adventurer with vinyl flooring. Best thing we have done. Did this on our last MH also a Pace Arrow. Floor is a lot easyier to keep clean.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
In October of 2004 we replaced the carpet in our 1999 Adventure 37G. Well, not all of it, but from just behind the drivers/passenger seats to the bedroom door. We had it done by a company in Turner, OR. Our cost was around $1800.00, but 1/2 of that was the cost of the vinyl. We put in high quality Armstrong Solarium that was about $30.00 per yard.

We would not want carpet again. Keeping the vinyl clean is super easy. It's not something I would want to do myself, because to make it look right you need to put molding around the bottom of the cabinets.

Here's what ours looks like.
http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/livingRoom.htm

I also installed a built in vacuum just to keep the bride happy. :-)
Old 07-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

With the help of two brothers in laws, we replaced the carpet in our 02 Journey for less than $300.00 , it took one and a half days and you cannot tell it from a professional job.

We removed the love seat and replaced all seat belt tiedowns and worked around the front and driver's seat.

We have really enjoyed the new floor and it looks like a totally different MH.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
With the help of two brothers in laws, we replaced the carpet in our 02 Journey for less than $300.00 , it took one and a half days and you cannot tell it from a professional job.

We removed the love seat and replaced all seat belt tiedowns and worked around the front and driver's seat.

We have really enjoyed the new floor and it looks like a totally different MH. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying you replaced the carpet with new carpet or with vinyl?

We want to replace the carpet in our Journey with vinyl plank flooring but I was wondering if the LR slide would mash or scratch the vinyl. Winne confirmed that the slide does not have rollers on the bottom...just a skid.

If you did use carpet, how did you get the new carpet to wrap under the edges of the slide floor?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When I asked about this at GNR last year, I was told that the feet installed at the factory are a plastic composition when going over carpeting, and have a carpeting when used with vinyl or tile flooring. They said they had experienced many problems before starting to make the foots in that manner, but very little problems since.

I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the foot when replacing carpet with vinyl, got the impression that the entire slide assembly had to be removed to do it.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

How did you get the new floor covering under the slide or did you just go up to the slide and glue the floor coving down?

This is starting to sound like the way I would like to go.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We replaced the carpeting with vinyl planking, from Sam's. Working to the slide out, we cut the carpet right at the slide and fastened the carpet with staples. (We used a Senco staple gun with 1/2 inch staples. The Senco gun makes it easy to get right up to the slide out.)

We have one spot where it cuts into the flooring from the slideout skid. Placed a piece of cardboard under the skid to prevent scarring
when bringing the slide in. Think the slide skid needs to be cleaned and maybe buffed a bit where it drags across the floor.

The replacement is not hard, just takes time and making decisions that will best suit your needs.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
We replaced the carpeting with vinyl planking, from Sam's. Working to the slide out, we cut the carpet right at the slide and fastened the carpet with staples. (We used a Senco staple gun with 1/2 inch staples. The Senco gun makes it easy to get right up to the slide out.)

We have one spot where it cuts into the flooring from the slideout skid. Placed a piece of cardboard under the skid to prevent scarring
when bringing the slide in. Think the slide skid needs to be cleaned and maybe buffed a bit where it drags across the floor.

The replacement is not hard, just takes time and making decisions that will best suit your needs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any possibility you can post some pics of the finished product? Did you leave the carpet on the slide or also put vinyl on the slide floor?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote