Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are thinking of replacing the carpet in the LR area of our MH. We would like to use the same wood flooring as used in the sink area. Probably have to replace all of it to get a match. I have seen some posts regarding slide clearance over hardwwod. The hardwood in my kitchenn area is lower than the surrounding carpet. Is there something under the carper other than a pad that makes it higher? Wish Winnie had put wood all the way to the entry door and this would hsve solved the wear problem on the carper in that area.
I noticed a post by "RVTEN" where he replaced his with vinyl. If he see this I would appreciate his response as to how he did it. We have basically the same coach. Mine is a 2001 37G.
Any others with suggestions would be appreciated. We are in Oregon at present, but will soon head south on I5 then through Quartsite and Lake Havasu and then I40 towards our home state of SC.
Any shops along the way that we could check with on having this done? We checked with Countyside in Junction City but they quoted the slide clearance issue and a price of $1500 labor only. Ain't paying that much to have about 100 sq ft of floor put in.
As always, thanks for the input.
SeaRay

editied title typo
Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are thinking of replacing the carpet in the LR area of our MH. We would like to use the same wood flooring as used in the sink area. Probably have to replace all of it to get a match. I have seen some posts regarding slide clearance over hardwwod. The hardwood in my kitchenn area is lower than the surrounding carpet. Is there something under the carper other than a pad that makes it higher? Wish Winnie had put wood all the way to the entry door and this would hsve solved the wear problem on the carper in that area.
I noticed a post by "RVTEN" where he replaced his with vinyl. If he see this I would appreciate his response as to how he did it. We have basically the same coach. Mine is a 2001 37G.
Any others with suggestions would be appreciated. We are in Oregon at present, but will soon head south on I5 then through Quartsite and Lake Havasu and then I40 towards our home state of SC.
Any shops along the way that we could check with on having this done? We checked with Countyside in Junction City but they quoted the slide clearance issue and a price of $1500 labor only. Ain't paying that much to have about 100 sq ft of floor put in.
As always, thanks for the input.
SeaRay

editied title typo
Old 10-11-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A little background.

New our Adventurer had a metal to metal contact issue at the front top of the living room slide. Asked for an adjustment at our first warranty visit. No improvement after the first try. Second warranty visit asked again. They jacked the slide all out of alignemnt, graphics didn't line up, looked bad. During the second visit I pointed it out and they tried again. Still had metal to metal contact, but it worked well and looked good save for some bare aluminum.

At the beginning of the summer I had started to notice wrinkles in the living room carpet. Junk carpet in my mind, mental note to have a closer look. Mid summer or so, rip, carpet tears up under the slide. I was horrified.

Winnebago assured me not to worry, they'll take care of it. Been using the motorhome too much to get it in. Kept smoothing the carpet out as much as possible and used it that way. Last weekend the carpet really got mangled under the slide on the way in. So much so that the top of the slide would not come all the way in, the carpet was lifting it and tilting it it outboard. I had to cut the carpet and just fold in inboard leaving nothing but plywood.

Now to why I'm replying here.

Slide comes in fine now. It's sitting a little low as can be seen in the graphics and trim outside, but not much, barely noticeable. In our case I think this points to our real issue, the slide was adjusted too low and was dragging on the carpet too much. In your case, I think it demonstartes the slide can work just fine slightly lower.

(We've got about a three week break in the use of our motorhome right now. Calling the dealer is on my list to see if they can at least have a quick look. We'll surely be scheduled for the next available visit 6 weeks from now for the real fix, but I think they'd like to see first and develop a plan. Carpet obviuosly needs to be replaced, but only after the slide if adjusted right.)

(And on vinyl. Take a look through the various Winnebago literature. Some floorplans feature vinyl at the door, others don't. It varies by year and model. Seems like it was something they introduced in new models and plans as they came online. Never updated older ones. Our Adventurer has vinyl tile at the door, we like it that way for sure.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

SeaRay;;;

I've seen three different motorhomes that Rocky Mountain RV in Albuquerque has removed the carpet and installed tile in. They all three have slides and look great. We are going to have our carpet removed and tile installed in the spring. Rocky Mountain drops the slides to do this so you must basically move out and into a motel or some such while they do the work.

One of the motorhomes had existing tile and Rocky totally matched it. The other two got all new tile except for the bedrooms.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

...what do you mean when you say "drops the slides"? FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
Jim
Winnebago Owner

Because of the slideout overhang they have to either remove the slideout or take it part of the way out and tilt it to get to the place where the carpet is tacked down..either way it is a major procedure and i'm told not many places do it..i had to take mine to cleveland to get the bedroom carpet replaced..something to consider when buying a used rv..jim
Old 10-24-2005, 04:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What type of tile - ceramic or vinyl?

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A note of caution about replacing carpet w/vinyl or hardwood in the area of the main slide: I think Winny did remove carpet in the galley area, near the dinette (or table) and put in vinyl. Some reports are that the vinyl sustained scratches & abrasions (small stones, sand, etc) where the slide moved inboard (when retracted for travel). I believe Winny changed back to carpet after this experience.

Other folks might comment to confirm/deny.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The three rigs I've seen don't seem to have any problems with scuffing or scrapping by debris. Two of the rigs have dogs with one have two VERY large dogs. One of the rigs has ceramic tile while the other two have vinyl.

TTs have vinyl throughout and have slides and don't seem to have problems but I'm sure you have to "clean" before putting the slides in each time. Debris caught under the slides can raise havoc with carpet also.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

auntsis

Ceramic tile adds ALOT of weight so vinyl is much better and now is very attractive as compared to back when. The one rig I've seen with ceramic is a diesel pusher but even then they are probably close to being overweight if they aren't already.

The estimate we got for removing the miserable carpet and installing the vinyl was $3000. It'll take about a week and a half and we must move out (of course) since they will drop both slides in the front to do the job plus they'll have to remove both captains chairs because we want tile from the front door back. We have a Journey 39K.

We are leaving the carpet in the bedroom as did the three I saw. When I can soften DH up again I'll go for "best" carpet replacement in the bedroom.