Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Replacement tire size question -thanks

I know there must be a zillion tire post here but hopefully this will be an easy one. I want to replace either just the front, or all 6, tires due to them being 7 + years old.

The current tires are 235/80 R 22.5 Michelin XRVs. My local, but very well established and respected, tire center says this tire size is specific to Michelin and if I want to stay with tire size, I have to go with them. I know many people have replaced their tires with other brands, Toyo's and Yokohama's just as a couple of examples.

My question is that for those who have replaced tires, or stayed up with the information, and had this tire size, what size did you switch to and have there been any issues. Our RV handles beautifully and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any help, guidance you can offer will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Lots of discussion on replacing that size Michelin with a 245/75-22.5 tire. Many folks using Toyos. Here is a chart for showing size differences.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, that's a very handy chart!
Old 05-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2015 Vista 35B, different floorplan but otherwise the sibling to your Sunstar and was in the same boat this spring. After some research and speaking with our tire shop I switched to Bridgestone Ecopia in the 247/75 size. I don’t quite remember the specs, but the tire is very close in size and any difference in revolutions is minimal, your Speedometer will read the same. I’ve only got about 50 miles on them driving back from the shop, but so far the ride/handling is very similar, I’m happy with the purchase.

The final nail in the coffin for me was the limited avail of the Michelin’s, even if I had wanted to go with them, the tire shop (a pretty good sized regional chain here in New England) was having a hard time finding them. My logic was if I can’t find when not in a hurry for install, what’s it going to be like if we have a blowout or other need on the side of the road somewhere.

I think I paid around $345 per tire plus the usual charges for install. I did have all 6 balanced as well.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Follow on, link to the tire.

https://commercial.bridgestone.com/e...us/r268-ecopia

If my memory is right, there were some posts either here or on IRV2 from others that switched to the Ecopias as well.

Lastly, have several friends that have gone with Toyo and are very happy, only reason I didn’t is they weren’t avail.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OP here. The issue, not surprisingly at this point,(post Covid) is availability. My also, large and long standing, tire shop, is having a hard time finding tires. He does have two Michelin in stock with very current manufacturing dates, but may not be able to get the other four.
So, this could turn out to be a what can you get v. what would I like type of problem.

This could also be a regional problem as a friend just had 6 Toyo's put on his RV in AZ with no issues at all.

I'll post how it shakes.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have you tried an on-line order? Some places will ship to your choice of shops.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I recently changed all six tires on our coach. Previous tire was Michelin 275/80 22.5. I decided on Toyo 265/75's because of the positive comments on this site. The originals were a proprietary size and may be unavailable in the middle of nowhere if we needed a new one, so that was a big determining factor. The new size is much more readily available. The smaller diameter does not affect the speedometer/odometer noticeably. Mile to mile, you can't see a difference, but against say a ten mile check, you will see it.

As for the ride, the Toyo's seem a little rougher, but not to the point of being too uncomfortable. We just put 2,500 miles on them and I am pleased with the decision.
However, I really miss the the ride of the Michelin's.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

OP here, as one who never appreciates it when a poster doesn't follow up their post, I offer the following:

I ended up, or will in a couple of weeks, putting on 6 new Michelins with very current (2021) manufacturing dates. The people here (WOG) making the point of availability if there is a problem on the road are likely correct, but I'll have to live with it.

To the poster offering ordering them on line, while I love the concept, there are (for me) too many negatives if there are any problems with the tires once they arrive and, while I didn't check, many dealers won't install tires purchased elsewhere and I don't blame them.

This decision was made essentially based on availability, but I will be glad to maintain the Michelin ride.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
I ended up, or will in a couple of weeks, putting on 6 new Michelins ... making the point of availability if there is a problem on the road are likely correct, but I'll have to live with it.
Are you already carrying a spare? Otherwise consider grabbing an extra and keep it at your brick & mortar. Then it's at your home and is ready & waiting to get your rig up & running, instead of waiting for the shop to find one. After hours. On a holiday weekend. In the rain.

Be well & enjoy your journeys.
machias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement