Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replace flooring

I have a 96 34' Adventure and would like to replace carpet in kitchen dining and livingroom with a laminate style floor. This would include the area under the large living room slide. would the slide rub on the laminate? The laminate would appear to be thinner than the carpet. I have read that the standard hardwood can be too thick. any advise
weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Laminate Flooring

We had our carpet replaced with laminate wood flooring in our '06 Vectra 40FD. You are right, it is thinner than the carpet and there is no interference problems with the slide. The original carpet was was retained in the driver area, and on both slide areas. My wife is absolutely ecstatic with the look and not having to put throw carpets down to protect the old carpet area. After a long road trip, I was having to clean the carpets, and they only will take so much. We selected a varied pattern of wood that complements the washed maple interior. Ours was installed by "Dave & LJ's", in Woodland,WA. You can find them online at www.customRVint.com.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Always a great question when considering this change. We replaced carpet with Trafficmaster Allure vinyl planks front to rear and love it in our Ellipse 40FD. We did have a little trimming to do to have the slides work smoothly because I used a 1/4" plywood underlayment where the carpet had been and it ended up being a bit higher... or at lest less compressable... than the carpet. Still love it though.

BTW: an advantage of Allure over laminate is that the job can be done cutting with shears rather than a power mitre saw. Being on the road I sometimes really miss my big tools...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Weber, don't be afraid to make the change from carpet to laminate. You and your wife will be so happy with the outcome. We have an 02 Journey DL and had laminate put in almost two years ago now. If you are handy with tools and have the skills to do so, you could do this yourself. You do have to keep in mind how to handle the replacement if your slide is flush with the floor. I suspect in your 96 you have a raised slide. However, in any case, I would still make use of "slideslickers" to prevent the slide from making any scratches on the laminate. Because we are fulltimers I did not have all of the tools or facilities to do the job myself so Bradd & Hall of Elkhart, IN did our install. There are pictures on their website of our job in process as well as the finished product. We are so pleased and satisfied with their craftsmanship and professionalism. The cost was also very reasonable. If you have any questions please feel free to send a PM and I will continue to help anyway I can.
munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You may want to look at cork flooring as well. It has more insulating value, more cushioning(softer) and is more slip resistant.
When it was first being sold, you had to seal it yourself. Most of the new products are pre finished.
NuthinFancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie View Post
I would still make use of "slideslickers" to prevent the slide from making any scratches on the laminate.
I like the idea of removing some carpet and vinyl and installing laminate, but have been concerned about the slide dragging across them. What exactly is a 'slideslicker' and where would I find them?

Thank you - RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

They are a 4" by 36" approx plastic that the slider moves on rather than carpet. They work great and can be purchased at most RV stores.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
They are a 4" by 36" approx plastic that the slider moves on rather than carpet. They work great and can be purchased at most RV stores.
Not sure where to look; I did a search at campingworld but found nothing. Could you give me a brand name or manufacturer to search for?

Thank you - RT
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

we just finished installing pergo laminate from lowes, has a real wood look. snaps together, had the underlayment already installed to the back...it is a floating floor.
did it in about 3 days, hardest part removing the staples from the carpet..we did the living room, dinning and kitchen slides and hall. we left the carpet in the bedroom and in the driving area. we got a quote of an 8x12 area from camping world for 2500.00. flooring and trims were about 500.00 for a larger area.no problem with slides coming in on our motorhome. we also removed the benches in the dining area and put in two chairs and took sofa out and replaced with two small recliners.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
we just finished installing pergo laminate from lowes, has a real wood look. snaps together, had the underlayment already installed to the back...it is a floating floor.
Do you have any pictures that you could post or email or your finished project? Would be great to see, especially if you have a slide-out or two where the new flooring went.

Thank you - RT
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I was told by Swensen RV in TX last year to take our Slick Slides and cut the sharp points off and put a foam back tape on and then the slides do not run on the flooring at all. He said they have done that to several units for people. Not a hard DIY project at all. We are a couple of years away from doing out unit as the carpet sill looks good.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We did ours over a year ago and have had no problems. Here is a link to some pictures. Floor Project - Windows Live

VegasDan did his and has had scratching on the floor. Check this thread for detailes. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/star...nds-61199.html it's a long thread with the complete renovation story but the floor stuff is in there.

We used the DuPont Product from Home Depot with the backing pre installed and it worked fine for us.

Flooring - Laminate Flooring - DuPont at The Home Depot

BTW my wife and I did the job ourselves.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Replaced carpet with "Pergo" laminate. If interested photos at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie - 35 N Remodel .

Along with other project photos. Good luck with your project.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

They are made by Cameo and called Slide-Out Slicker. I found a them on the net at the link below but do not know anything about this supplier. Our local RV dealer had them in stock and that is how we found out about them.

Camco RV Slide-Out Slicker, 40" Pair

As for the product they do work good.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I like the idea of getting rid of the old carpet. We're also interested in removing the couch and installing two recliners. Oh yea get rid of the old TV.
Perhaps next year we'll take on the challenge.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

04 Vectra, Has anyone replaced the carpet with ceramic tile like is in the entrance and kitchen?

Thanks,

Curtis Tanner
Ga.
mannt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber View Post
I have a 96 34' Adventure and would like to replace carpet in kitchen dining and livingroom with a laminate style floor. This would include the area under the large living room slide. would the slide rub on the laminate? The laminate would appear to be thinner than the carpet. I have read that the standard hardwood can be too thick. any advise
Hey Weber
Wife and I (Cathie) purchased a 2001 Winebago 35U in June. She wanted the carpet replaced with vinyl. I removed all of the furnature and had it steam cleaned. When I removed the carpet it was stuck under the slide and was dificult to pull out but I made it happen. I installed carpet in the bedroom and the front area then the vinyl. It was butiful! I read online that the slide could damege the flooring so I places a foot squar of carpet under each corner of the slide until I could correct the slide. As I resurched what needed to be done I realised that the carpet I pulled out from under the slide was part of the slide raise ramp. Originally Winebago installed a 3" wooden strip across the slide opening with the edge beveled brfore the carpet was installed. Under the slideout there is a metel strip with plastic (polimer) incerted in the midle designed to slide over the carpet and at full opening raise to have the slide seal better at the top. Iwas determand to have my slide work without dameging the carpete and not pay a fortune with great success. The slide is 13' so I placed a 4X4X10 under the slide with a floor jack under the middle. Took the wooden framework off at the insde of the slide then the metel frame. This is all only held with philip screws. I extended the slideout as far as it would go which was only 4" more than normal. I needed the slideout out
more to be able to acomplish what I needed. There are 2 beams under the slide that have 2 screws at the slides edge that can be removed. This detatches the hydroic rams so that the slide can be pulled out manually another 12"s. This alowed me to remove the original wooden 1/4" ramp and replace it with a 1/4" x 3.5" polimer with a bevaled edge that overlaped the new vinvl. I removed the metel strip from under the slideout and completely wraped it with carpet (also glued with contact cement) and reinstalled (madesure the screws were counter sunk well.)

Hope this helps.

Jesse

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Love that cork

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthinFancy View Post
You may want to look at cork flooring as well. It has more insulating value, more cushioning(softer) and is more slip resistant.
When it was first being sold, you had to seal it yourself. Most of the new products are pre finished.
I was just in my MH measuring for laminate/wood flooring. Forgot to think about cork! Glad you posted.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber View Post
we replaced our carpet with allure from home depot. the fwd slide scratched the allure in 8 places the first time we retracted and extended the slide. we made 8 planks from surplus allure to lay down every time before we retract the slide. the rear slide has no problems with scratching. we have had the allure for almost a year and it is holding up well and still looking good.
check my previous post in the archives for pictures of our installation.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote