Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
2005 Sightseer 30B

Replace carpeting in 2005 Sightseer 30B

I HATE the carpet in my coach. It is pale tan, so EVERYTHING shows, and I now have stains that simply don't come out. I'd like to have the carpet removed and some standard flooring put in, instead. It can be vinyl, or it can be the faux wood - I can't think of what it is called. It is a synthetic material.

Problem is that I have ZERO idea of who or where I could have it done. Who has had it done? Did you do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you? If you had it done, how did you find the shop that handled the work? If you did it yourself, how hard was it to do and what specialized knowledge or skill do you need to have? I do NOT want to pay the Winnebago service center to do it, as they cost the MOON for anything they do.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The carpet in my bedroom area of my View was also very dirty. I simply pulled it all up and replaced it with the best stuff I could find. It was only about $300. I bought a staple gun and just stapled it in place. Looks good to me.
Bill1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #3
2005 Sightseer 30B

I'd actually like to get smooth flooring, as I do not LIKE carpeting - hubby and I are both asthmatic, and carpeting is NOT good for that problem. Not to mention that smooth floors are easier to clean.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

A lot of RVers install the vinyl plank flooring. It is easy to install. Just follow instructions. There are several colors to choose from.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:52 PM   #5
2005 Sightseer 30B

I actually DO know how to lay vinyl plank flooring, but as for the RV, with the slide, the installed carpeting? I wouldn't know where to start! How do you handle the contoured areas - with the engine hump, etc. or the wrap around on the edge of the slide. It would just be out of my comfort range, I'm afraid.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

These planks cut pretty easily with a utility knife. Mark and score with the knife blade and then bleak. It's not unusual to make a mistake on a plank. But, usually it can be used else where.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Be aware that hard surfaced flooring can easily be scratched by grit or pebbles as your slide is extended and retracted. We have a dog so keeping things scrupulously clean isn't practical. You can buy or make floor protectors to prevent this:

I know that carpeting is an issue but you may find that quality, commercial grade carpet tiles might not present a problem. They're stain resistant and their low, tight nap is easy to keep clean. I installed this in my 2002 Suncruiser to replace all the carpeting and it's performed great now for several years. It comes in large tiles (18" - 20" square) and is easy to install using double-sided carpet tape. We got our's at S&G Carpet.

If you do go with a hard-surfaced flooring, wood and luxury vinyl will be more susceptible to scratching than laminate.

Whatever you decide on, buy extra so you can replace damaged planks or tiles.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, sightseer, ace