Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
Bob Tour 2008

Repair on peeling clear coat near roof

I've noticed the clear coat is peeling at the junction of the roof and sidewall of our 2008 Tour. There is also some peeling on the front cap at the top area. Any DIY suggestions?
bob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Research "wet sanding" (some call it "color sanding"). Sand it off, mask, and spray with clear coat. Tough to do because you have to spray the whole "panel" (not just the damaged area). You have to define "the panel" like blocking off the section between existing break lines (windows, moldings, chrome, whatever). IF you spray the whole panel, it WILL come out OK (not like professional paint shop though), if you spray just the effected area, it will end up looking like crap.
Good luck.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

peeling clear coat

Don't expect Winnebago Industries to give you any assistance you will get a form letter stating you are out of warranty!!! But the company that does the painting for Winnebago which is down the street from the factory will usually repair it for you. C D I is the company ask for Dave Nagel the number is on line they have a web site. Unlike Winnebago industries they recognize there was problem with the few years in that time period with some of the paint jobs and in most cases they will they will do the repairs. The only problem is you have to go to Forest City Iowa. They did a beautiful job on our coach.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Don't expect Winnebago Industries to give you any assistance you will get a form letter stating you are out of warranty!!! But the company that does the painting for Winnebago which is down the street from the factory will usually repair it for you. C D I is the company ask for Dave Nagel the number is on line they have a web site. Unlike Winnebago industries they recognize there was problem with the few years in that time period with some of the paint jobs and in most cases they will they will do the repairs. The only problem is you have to go to Forest City Iowa. They did a beautiful job on our coach.
Hello, I have a 06 journey and I will first say I love the MH. I have had most of the small stuff people say have gone bad but I can fix them myself. Now about the paint!!!! I can't believe they still use the same paint shop. Mine started peeling after about 1 1/2 years (all the top caps). I think its the heat up there in the summer but now for the last 4-5 years the sides are starting to peel all over. I do have a local paint shop I work with so I have a place to take it. also I do look at all the rigs in the camp grounds we go to and its not only Winnebago. and its always on the full paint rigs.

Don
Old 04-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

How is CDI on cost?
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

CDI Price

Call Dave Nagel at CDI you may be surprised
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You can try this - I did and it looks fine from the ground. With a ladder I went up to the edge and took off what ever flaking I could with a plastic scraper. Then I sanded the peeling area with a fine sand paper. (cleaned first) Throughly wiped and then sprayed with a clear coat you can get at the parts store. At the roof line on the ladder, you can tell it isn't perfect. From the ground it looks great! I do not know how long it will last because it was done in November of 2015. Looks great right now. hope this helps. mark
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Repairing peeling paint

HI Folks,
Just finished repairing several sun faded spots on our 2004 Journey. I sanded each spot with 1500 grit sand paper then covered with Poli-Glow. Very satisfied. I would recommend Poli-Glow to anyone with an older coach.
Racerboy
racerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well I have a quote for close to $13,000 to completely repaint the passenger side of the coach from base. Not only is the clear coat shot, but the fiberglass is starting to splinter out. So everything comes off, sand completely smooth and reptile with fiberglass impregnated paint, then start from scratch but it will be better than anything Winnebago has come close to when finished.

Thanks Winebago. I'll make sure I pass my opinions around of your consistantly lousy paint jobs.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You know guys,
This paint (clear coat peeling thing has been around for decades. And, while the subject at hand is the clear coat on Winnes and Itascas, just about ALL of you have seen the peeling clear coat on just about every type/model/make/year of truck/car/motorhome/space ship/submarine/ and anything else that's had a base coat/clear coat type of paint job. How many times have you pulled into a parking lot across America and see what looks like a nice car/truck etc. until you notice the hood/trunk/roof etc. and see that much of the clear coat is peeling off????

You gonna blame Winne/Itasca/CDI for those too? Probably not. While the peeling thing does not happen on all units that have had the two-stage paint process done, it happens on many. The reason(s) for it are all over the place. The paint pros will tell you: Bad prep, too much sun, bad materials, or a combination of any or all of them.

Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, is also a full body paint unit. I'm getting some clear peeling up above the visible eye-line from the ground but, it's almost visible. So, I too must take some action fairly quick in order to "head this stuff off at the pass" so-to-speak. I've painted a few cars in my life but, it's always been with a single stage paint process, mostly either Dupont IMRON or, CENTARI paint. Both are, or were, great paints to work with.

I've only done one clear coat on a front cap and that was quite a while ago. So, I will be studying up on just what the pros might suggest.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Less than two years into the coach I had the front cap and the upper roof curves burn off. I called Winnebago and they admitted it was a problem and refered me to their paint shop. They wanted to send MY shop all the materials and only cover labor. My guys said NO.. If they are going to cover the coach as long as I own it they will use THEIR materials and there is no debate. They agreed, and that job to this day is BETTER than the day I bought it new by a longshot.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:59 AM   #12
Just Trying to Help

bob1947-

Here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts for the terms "paint" and "clear coat." As Scott ("FIRE UP!) wrote, there are a lot of posts on this topic. Some of them contain DIY information.

As for us, our coach went to a local auto body shop on Thursday for a partial repaint, along the lines of what "Dutch Star Don" described in this post. The body paint is the lightest color, so we selected the lightest color of the vinyl decals as the color to repaint the roof and forward and rear cap edges. I'm picky, but my painting skills are not up to my standards, if you know what I mean.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Bob Tour 2008

Flaking clear coat

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I think I'll get an estimate from my paint shop. It looks like both sides and front cap with portions of the roof.

Bob
bob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

A couple of years ago I had the front cap, windows up redone by a local shop. Cost about $500 but it sure looks better than it did with the peeling clear coat up there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roof