Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon and I am considering replacing the graphics with something a little more up to date. In order to save a few $$$'s I am considering the removal of the existing graphics myself and then going in with a buffer and compound to remove as much oxidation as possible before have the new graphics installed (I have a local company that will handle that part). I know I will need a heat gun of some sort to remove the existing vinyl and I just have to be careful not to overheat the gel coat. What about buffing? I have never attempted something like this before and have heard that you can also create alot of problems if you don't know what you are doing with a buffer. Is this something that anyone would recommend, or should I just have someone do it. I am pretty good with tools and tackeling big jobs (I replaced the carpet with laminate last year) just need some advice. Also, what would you guys recommend in types of buffers and compounds/cleaners to use to remove the oxidation.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon and I am considering replacing the graphics with something a little more up to date. In order to save a few $$$'s I am considering the removal of the existing graphics myself and then going in with a buffer and compound to remove as much oxidation as possible before have the new graphics installed (I have a local company that will handle that part). I know I will need a heat gun of some sort to remove the existing vinyl and I just have to be careful not to overheat the gel coat. What about buffing? I have never attempted something like this before and have heard that you can also create alot of problems if you don't know what you are doing with a buffer. Is this something that anyone would recommend, or should I just have someone do it. I am pretty good with tools and tackeling big jobs (I replaced the carpet with laminate last year) just need some advice. Also, what would you guys recommend in types of buffers and compounds/cleaners to use to remove the oxidation.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dawg - I think this was talked about a while ago, but I'm not sure. Try a forum search.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Dawg, here's what works very well.... use the heat gun very sparingly...if the decal gets too hot you will leave alot of glue. After removal of the decals then wipe down vigorously with Orange Cleaner...the spray on kind. that is the easiest way to remove any glue residue. For buffing I suggest going to a boat yard and buying some Durotech or Aquabuff 2000 and mix Marine Teflon polish in with the Aquabuff. The teflon will prevent burning and make the buff pad less sticky. Use about 1 part teflon to 6 -7 parts ASquabuff. Use a disposable paint brush to wipe on a thin film of the mixture in a 3' x 3' area and then buff it like you really mean it! Buff until all mixture residue is absorbed into the pad. Use lambswool pads available at an automotive paint type store. Buy a high speed buffer that is not too heavy. If you can't find the Aquabuff or Durotech 2000 call Lamb's yacht Center in Jacksonville, FL and get them to send you a container. you'll have it looking brand new and so slick a fly could slip on it and break a leg. Let me know how it comes out.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

I guess i should have mentioned that I learned this from the pros at Lamb's when I used to keep my boat there. It is no more work than any other method and you won't burn the gelcoat. Be sure to use the Marine Teflon polish which is available online from West Marine or in one of their stores.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advise. Once question, if I do this as you suggested, will I then create a surface so "slick" that the new graphics won't stick on it?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
JVG
Winnebago Camper

One thing that will happen when the new graphics are installed is that the installer will remove the wax or polish on the surface with mineral spirits. Keeping that in mind I would not spend a lot of time with waxing or polishing.
JVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Before the graphics installer applys the graphics I would wipe down the graphic area with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner. AFTER the graphics are installed then re-polish BY HAND the area wiped with the alcohol or thinner.