Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removing radio in a 96 winnebago

Hello all. I want to remove the radio on my Adventurer. want to access the wiring to connect a Satelite radio. Could I get some tips?
Thanks
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots of things that change the answer and just one of themis whether it is the original radio or been changed, etc. So on that old, I do not look to find info on what was first there but just jump to seeing what hold it now.
First I would look for ways to get the front bezel off by prying a bit all around the edges to see if it might pop loose. Or if certain you are done with that radio, pry harder and break a few things off to get a better look!
Under that bezel, you may spot fasteners of some type or spring type clamps holding from the back side. Another method,depending on the RV is that some have lift up, hinged dash covers which can make it great to get to things.
May be helpful to list the full RV info like year, make model and even size as it might find somebody who has that particular one and has an idea of how to get the dash open. Problem is that there are only a limited number of users of that RV and they often will not have looked under the dash so we get to do the trip alone!
Best of luck to getting it there.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My unit is a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer, 34ft on a ford chassis.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
My unit is a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer, 34ft on a ford chassis.
If you don't have the owners manuals go here to find your manual: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...tormanuals.php

"If" your radio is like the one we have in our 2006 Journey, there are a pair of pin holes on the right & left edge of the radio bezel and a tool came with the rig to insert in the holes.
The holes are right on the edge of the bezel about 1.5" to 2" apart vertically.

If you don't have the tool get some large paper clips, the ones that are about 2.5" long or longer, straighten out the paper clips and insert into the holes. You only have to insert the pins about 1.5" into the hole to release the spring clips.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It has a flip up dash and any Single Din Car Stereo should fit unless a previous owner modified the opening. Best Buy made up the harness for mine however if its already been upgraded to a JVC or Sony then many times it will be plug and play if your new radio is also either a JVC or Sony since the same harness is used for both brands. Their (Best Buys) car stereo guy can also make up a plug and play harness for you if you bring them the old radio and any plug and play harness that exists. Just don't start by cutting wires but only disconnect whats plug and play.

The dash on the 96 Adventurer should be similar to the dash on my 33 foot gas powered Vectra and 2001 Adventurer which both had the same flip up dash and wiring configuration for the radio. You do need a stick though to keep the dash propped open on its piano hinge.

To remove the radio once the harness and antenna lead has been unplugged you may need a flat thin tool to release the clips on the mounting ring. These are usually just thin strips of sheet metal that are slid behind the clips to unlatch them. Winnebago included them in the plastic bag with the dog house wrench and trailer plug adapter and hopefully the prior owner left them with the coach along with the Winnebago Binder or Black Bag that holds the build sheet and all the manuals for everything that Winnebago originally installed in the coach.

Its really pretty simple and much easier than with most Automobiles, SUV's, etc.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much. Great information.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
Winnebago owner

My 2001 Adventurer had a wire attached to the flip up dash that ran to the floor near the drivers feeet that held the dash down. Had to locate that wire (small twisted cable with loops on each end), remove the screw holding it to the floor and simply lift up on the dash in front of drivers seat.

Radio, lights, switches, etc. are all right there.

Sure wish it were still that easy in my suncruiser.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubtime View Post
My 2001 Adventurer had a wire attached to the flip up dash that ran to the floor near the drivers feeet that held the dash down. Had to locate that wire (small twisted cable with loops on each end), remove the screw holding it to the floor and simply lift up on the dash in front of drivers seat.

Radio, lights, switches, etc. are all right there.

Sure wish it were still that easy in my suncruiser.
Mine doesn't have that tie down but that's a good idea. Mine just has velcro on each side.

Tags
radio, winnebago