Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Adventurer 37G. We've had very strong winds recently (Texas Gulf Coast), and lots of awning flapping noise over the slideout. Have looked at de-flappers, but I don't think it would stop the billowing annd flapping. Is there any reason not to simply remove the awning? We've had other units that had no awning over the slideout. Removal seems the simplest solution (short of pulling in the slide all the time), but wanted to see if others had reasons not to remove it. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

2000 Adventurer 37G. We've had very strong winds recently (Texas Gulf Coast), and lots of awning flapping noise over the slideout. Have looked at de-flappers, but I don't think it would stop the billowing annd flapping. Is there any reason not to simply remove the awning? We've had other units that had no awning over the slideout. Removal seems the simplest solution (short of pulling in the slide all the time), but wanted to see if others had reasons not to remove it. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There are disadvantages to removing or not having a slide topper;
...debris build up that must be removed
...possibilty of water leaks
...reduced insulation properties

If you are concerned about the noise and flapping you can retract your slides or put something under the topper to eliminate flapping.

Personally I would not be without slide toppers.IMHO

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Well that certainly is a solution to the problem and you certainly can't discount it's effectiveness. I however simply choose to roll it up until the winds slacken or use a ground tie-down to keep it from blowing.

The second choice is not foolproof however - a fellow MH had their's tied down and a strong gust of wind ripped it from the coach.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tom (Rocket Heart), I think the post was regarding slide toppers and not the main awning. ..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just replaced both slide toppers. Well, one of them anyway, the other one I just cut off about 6" of material from the roof side that had the sun exposure and re-sewed it and reversed it on the roller so the part that had been rolled up is now at the roof rail.

Once I got the rollers un-rolled I used a super-duty zip tie to tie off the little arm to keep it from unrolling. Caution here, there's a LOT of spring tension so you have to hold on tight. If you let it go it could really hurt you or ruin your roller or cover. The factory says remove the rivets and all that garb, I figured why bother, my method worked out well enough to get the job done.

If you're experiencing flapping in winds under about 30mph consider putting one or two more winds on the roller spring. It's a PITA to do as you have to take the awning off to do it. Over 30-40mph it's prolly a good idea to retract the slides.

The factory fabric AE/Dometic puts on them is pretty cheezy. Most folks get at most four years on them and then they start delaminating and need replacement; and they're expensive.

I ordered some wonderful material from www.sailrite.com, it's called BOAT TOPPING WHITE ON WHITE. It's just a bit heavier than the stock fabric but WAY nicer and a lot more heavy duty. I expect the new fabric will way out last the stock. BTW, it's less than half the cost of buying them already made up.

We have a Bernina sewing machine so I ordered #18 needles and some poly thread and it sewed the original rubber bolt-ropes in like butter. Turned out really nice and was not difficult at all to remount them. If you're handy this is a great way to replace them. I double-sewed them, straight stitch next to the bolt-rubber, and then a zig-zag just next to the first row of stiches. They are way strong and look professional.

I too would not run without toppers. But I have to agree the factory material leaves a lot to be desired.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
Tom (Rocket Heart), I think the post was regarding slide toppers and not the main awning. .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that... was just testing you guy's to see if you were paying attention. I see that you were - great job.

(Actually I didn't read the OP's post very well - my bad)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

http://www.rv-motorhome-answer...lide-out-topper.html
Check out this web site. I have their toppers and so far so good. The change out was easy when done by a Rv Tech.. Merry Christmas and to all a good nite.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote