Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Refrigerator access panel latch is broken

Hi, I can't imagine I'm the first to have this happen. One of the latches/catches/locks (whatever they are called) on the exterior refrigerator access panel broke in two, and I'm guessing if one broke the other may not be far behind.

So the question is - where to get them? I'm sure Winne must have them but has anyone else found them elsewhere? I don't mind paying Winnie for them but usually, the shipping is a killer even for amounts to the weight of a couple of bird feathers.

I understand (hope) the factory ones would be painted but don't mind doing that myself since, at least this one, is black.

Can add pics if it will help

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Shipping does add up quickly but I might also suggest looking at folks who deal in parts for the make/model/brand of frig, rather than Winn. There may be a dealer much closer so that you could drive to them if worth it to avoid shipping. Another way to deal with shipping is to defer on replacing the latches until time comes to need something else and combine the shipping. One thing I've learned on RV is that I will "need" something else quick enough but much of it can wait a month or so!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Winnebago Tech Support: 1 (800) 537-1885
Lichtsinn Motors:https://www.lichtsinn.com/rv-parts

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Look on Ebay
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Hi, I can't imagine I'm the first to have this happen. One of the latches/catches/locks (whatever they are called) on the exterior refrigerator access panel broke in two, and I'm guessing if one broke the other may not be far behind.

So the question is - where to get them? I'm sure Winne must have them but has anyone else found them elsewhere? I don't mind paying Winnie for them but usually, the shipping is a killer even for amounts to the weight of a couple of bird feathers.

I understand (hope) the factory ones would be painted but don't mind doing that myself since, at least this one, is black.

Can add pics if it will help

Thanks for any help.
Make/model of fridge always helps?

If it's a Norcold, try this site.
https://thenorcoldguy.com/
I used him to get replacement parts for my DC0061 last year. The lower latch strike plate broke, and I ordered new from him. Easy. Took about 6 days to get the parts. Don't recall if he has expedited shipping, but you could ask.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Team

RV Fridge or Residential fridge?

I can tell you for certain that a factory latch is not going to be available pre-painted to the color of your coach or anyone elses.

When you buy body trim pieces or even large panels they are NOT pre-painted. So, no, a small hatch is not going to be pre-painted if you get one from Winnebago.

Is this what you are talking about? If so, buy a new hatch door at the link below and then you can pay to have it painted to match your coach:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Servi...-p/31-1668.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	173021  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Team

I'm guessing this is what you mean? You have to simply buy a new door that's the same dimensions and have it painted.

I know that seems like a lot. But I doubt anyone sells just the latches. You could improvise a replacement or possible take a latch off of another similar latch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunstar.png
Views:	81
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	173023  
Old 03-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I believe I now see what he's talking about after looking at the OM. The exterior acccess hatch.
Please disregard prior post, although for finding actual Norcold fridge parts, he's good.

creativepart, I believe you're correct.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Upinsmoke, it's a long shot, but you might be able to find such a hatch pre-painted at one of the large RV Junk Yards.

I know of two:
https://colawrvsalvage.com/
https://rvparts.visonerv.com/
Old 03-06-2020, 02:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

To clear up any confusion, yes it is the exterior access panel which creative pointed out.

As it turns out, with a little searching on line, these latches https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Refri...atch-E377.html are readily available. They are universally listed as E 377 and sold in pairs.

They are also, apparently, universally cheaply made and sometimes break on installation! I'm fortunate in that one of my latches is black and the other is silver so it shouldn't be to tough to paint them to match.

Natch CW sells them and likely my servicing RV center so I'll just pick up a couple the next time I'm in there.

As always, thanks for the responses - it's what makes this whole thing work.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes, they are universally cheap and easy to break, especially if it is cold and we are in a hurry! One thing I've learned is that it is not good practice to use whatever tool is in the pocket to turn them as using a full sized screwdriver will get a better gip and not break them so quickly.
For quick and easy as well as often cheaper, I find them on E-bay. A search for "RV refrigerator latch" turns up lots of options.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #12
CO Sunova Owner

I just bought two of those latches. They are called rotary latches. Part 086755-01-000. $3.70 each at Litchsinn.com plus shipping. Call them and you'll have it in two days. They come as black plastic and need to be painted to match your refrigerator vent cover paint color.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Most decent RV Service and Parts dealers will have them on the shelf for about $10 to $12 a pair and you might even find that at many campground general stores since they are a very commonly lost or broken item. You will even find them at places like Camping World too. You save the shipping and support your neighbors living in your community when you buy local.

As for painting them well the paint chips and flakes over time so I just replace both of them and leave them black.

Tags
panel, refrigerator