Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recommended oil and filter question

What is the best recommended oil for my 2000 Adventurer 35U Ford Triton V10 engine? What is the best oil filter to use? I didn't get the engine manual information with this coach when purchased.
Thanks.......
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

filter: Motorcraft FL820S

oil: Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W20 or Mobil-1 full-synthetic 5W20.

change @ 5000 miles or at the end of the camping season.

and don't forget, I answered first, so my answer is correct. all the following answers are just opinions.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Ford recommends any oil meeting/exceeding category API SN and viscosity SAE 5w20 and changing every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever is first, for your engine. So do all the other oil and filter companies for your vehicle except AMSOIL.

AMSOIL offers better oil and filters so they recommend their Signature Series ALM chemical synthetic oil and EaO11 filter for 15,000 miles up to 1 year whichever is first. This is what I do with my V10 and I get it at wholesale. And you get a free parts and labor warranty should the oil and/or filter ever fail. I had the oil analyzed at 15,000 miles and it was recommended good for continued use.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree with Damon Outlaw. Amsoil is probably the best oil and filter but you also have to figure out how many miles you plan to drive in a season. If less than 5,000 miles, you may want to use a conventional oil and filter and change at 3,000 miles or if 5,000 miles use W4MBG's suggestion. It is more of how much money you want to spend on maintenance.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Even if you don't put on many miles, Ford and the other oil companies still recommend changing oil and filter every 3 months. Only AMSOIL recommends/warranties 1 year for severe service.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Always for years used Motorcraft filters and Mobil1 oil. Never had a problem and can but them at any autoparts store or even Wally world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The Motorcraft filter mentioned above was the ONLY one I could use with my ford V8 that did not result in knocking under acceleration. My oil choice is Castrol in the recommended weight, and has served me well for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
filter: Motorcraft FL820S

oil: Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W20 or Mobil-1 full-synthetic 5W20.

change @ 5000 miles or at the end of the camping season.

and don't forget, I answered first, so my answer is correct. all the following answers are just opinions.
I agree with W4MBG. Regardless of mileage, I always change my oil at the end of the camping season, and I use readily available filters and oils that I can buy the day I plan to change the oil.

I have heard no compelling reason to avoid changing oil at the manufacturer's recommended mileage intervals, or more often. Cost avoidance in maintenance supplies will likely translate to increased cost in repairs down the road.

I change mine @ 5000 AND/OR at the end of the camping season and I don't buy snake oil when name brand oil is as good or better.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

There is a link in the "Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum" that will sent you the the Motorcraft service site and you can down load the owners guide. Will need to know what year the chassis is.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My service contract calls for: "6/5000 or Vehicle Manufacturer's maintenance guidelines to avoid denial of a claim".

I don't use my MH for 6 months during the summer. Does this mean I must change my oil when I summerize, or 6 months after the last oil change, than again when I start using it or 6 months after the last change even though it sits idle? I'm pretty sure if any moisture formed, it would evaporate with the summer heat in Phx.

If I switched to synthetic, would Ford approve an extended oil change interval? My motor is new with only about 200 miles on it and also has the 3/36 factory warranty on it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for the great information

I appreciate all the help.
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Is that Motorcraft FL820S filter the larger than stock one? I bought the FL1 filter.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My service contract calls for: "6/5000 or Vehicle Manufacturer's maintenance guidelines to avoid denial of a claim".

I don't use my MH for 6 months during the summer. Does this mean I must change my oil when I summerize, or 6 months after the last oil change, than again when I start using it or 6 months after the last change even though it sits idle? I'm pretty sure if any moisture formed, it would evaporate with the summer heat in Phx.
Service contracts are different from OEM warranties. To keep your service contract in force, you need to follow all the rules they state. If it states you must change your oil at a certain mileage or time, you must do so. It may even state the API category, SAE viscosity and even brand. It may also state who has to perform the service and the documentation required. Since the service agreement (6 mo/6,000 miles) is different than the OEM warranty recommendation of 3 mo/3,000 miles, I would check with the service agreement provider to see which you are to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If I switched to synthetic, would Ford approve an extended oil change interval? My motor is new with only about 200 miles on it and also has the 3/36 factory warranty on it.
Some warranties require the use of synthetic, some do not. For those that do not, I've never heard of a warranty problem using synthetics meeting the API and SAE guidelines. OEM warranties only provide coverage on manufacturing and design defects, not oil failure. Oil failures, whether after 1 mile or 100,000 miles, are only warranted by the oil company, not the OEM manufacturer. OEM warranty is not dependent on oil change interval recommendations. I suggest using an oil that warranties all lubricated parts and labor for their recommended/warranty covered time/mileage interval in the event of oil failure, which may or may not be the OEM recommendated intervals for severe service.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I'll call Phoenix American to see if I can extend the oil change interval by using synthetic oil and/or not driving my MH for 6 months.