Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My neighbor here at the GNR tell me that the Chevy Engine in my Adventurer will run more quietly and have more power if I "rechip" the engine. Anybody know anything about this? any good links?

Thanks. Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My neighbor here at the GNR tell me that the Chevy Engine in my Adventurer will run more quietly and have more power if I "rechip" the engine. Anybody know anything about this? any good links?

Thanks. Arne

Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Arne, I believe your neighbor is referring to reprogramming your engine computer. You can see posts concerning this subject under the Workhorse section of IRV2.

Here's a primer for you.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

DonavonP. Thanks for the link. My main gripe with my W24 Workhorse is the lack of power and excessive noise when climbing hills (even in Florida!). The Ultrapower package seems to be a good answer (much cheaper than upgrading to a Diesel). Unfortunately it appears then Imust wait untilnext year when we plan to spend the summer on the west coast.

Arne

Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My W24 has plenty of power and it's quiet.

Are you certain your dog house cover is secured correctly.

You lose power on the hills in FL?? I've never experience this in FL and I'm loaded to 22,720# plus pulling a 2900# Honda. You may have a burnt plug wire and only be running on 7 cylinders.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Arne,
Call Mike Bronzinni at Brazels RV at (541) 441-0377. He can tell you the locations they will be sending their "remote" team OR how you can pull your electronic Control Module out and he will send you a new one already programmed. I had it done on my previous Suncruiser and it was best improvement I ever did.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Arne, there's a gentleman there at GNR by the name of Dale Olson, his handle on IRV2 is Oemtech. He's an authorized installer of Ultrapower. I don't know how you'd find him there other than PM him. He said he was there as a vendor but he didn't say which product so I can't help that way.

Also, Brazels has a new installer in Tampa by the name of Tollin and Associates. Below is a clip of a post in the Workhorse section:

""""""For those of you in The Tampa,Florida area,we have signed up another UltraPower installer.Tollin & associates is at 727-781-0870 or E-mail at [email protected]""""" Ref: Mike Bronzi, Brazels.

I would definitely check those items mentioned by Tom N.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Before you do any "rechipping" or other modifications, have a mechanic plug into the OBD port and look for missing cylinders! We too have the W24 with the 8.1 liter engine and found the "loss of power" and noise was due to burned plug wires (in Texas). These were replaced and it just happened again in South Dakota. This time, they installed the air flow kit, so maybe it is now history!
Norm Newhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Gentlemen,

I am sitting at Hunt's RV just down the road from HWH. I plan to go there Fri to have my jacks looked at. Hope to be heading for the GNR very early Sat.

I will be setting up a booth on Sun. I have a seminar scheduled on Mon & Tue from 1 to 1:50. I will be there primarily for UltraPower but I will be bring some other demo products like UtraTrac trac bars, Taylor wires and AC plugs. Stop by the booth for a chat.

Updating the ECM/PCM in general will not fix poor air flow. Nor will heavy duty wires fix the burned wire problem.

I just checked 2 tanks of gas and got 8.7 on the first tank and 8.4 on the second tank. I am fully loaded pulling a 3k+ toad load with all my rally stuff running around 65+ most of the way.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

OEMTECH
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nor will heavy duty wires fix the burned wire problem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What will the heavy duty Taylor wires do for me?
Why would I want to send all that money for them?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As i said it will not "FIX" the problem... The problem is in the design of the front air openings of the motor home. This is an OEM problem that WCC has a vent kit for.

The Taylor wires are heavier and will stand considerably more heat (1500 degrees) then the standard set. They also have less resistance per foot (375 ohms) than the standard (better/more consistent spark). They have 5 year warranty.

As to why you would want to spent that kind of money for a set a plug wires... I can't really say, its a personal choice.

Remember, most parts are supplied by the lower bidder that meet specs.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N
Be aware that any re-chipping can or will void your warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom do you know this to be factual or are you just assuming from what you have read in the WCC Bulletin. Note - it is NOT a TSB.

Under the Magnuson Moss Act they must prove the modification or after market item CAUSED the failure. This has been discussed in length in another thread. Also if you visit the SEMA web site they have some info on this subject.

Lastly the after market providers product liability insurance probably would get invoked.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

One thing the ultrapower won't do is make your motorhome run quieter, our's is not offensively louder but it is louder none the less. We put a hood liner kit on the dog house cover after the ultrapower upgrade and all is well!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally ousted by Easyrider: One thing the UltraPower won't do is make your motorhome run quieter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I assume you are talking about the Cold Air Kit. Yes, this is true but failed to mention that you are removing a very restrictive air intake system that 8 bends, runs from a 8" opening to a 3.75 inch MAF, has a 6x9x2 inch filter, foam prefilter and probably will injest water. That compared to almost 0 bends with a very large air intake that only weighs about 3 lbs, a very large 8 layer gauze filter and doesn't injest water.

If you want quite leave the old system in place . But, if you want performance install the CAI.