Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had an oil change done at a Winnebago Dealer and while in the shop asked them to check the roof caulking. The technician said it needed recaulked and they would do it around all the vents, skylights, etc. However, he said it would take them 4 and a half hours at 90 bucks an hour to do the sides. He told me to get some clear silicone and remove the old caulk and clean with alcohol before putting it on. I have never heard of using silicone before and am concerned about its adhesion. Ideas?
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had an oil change done at a Winnebago Dealer and while in the shop asked them to check the roof caulking. The technician said it needed recaulked and they would do it around all the vents, skylights, etc. However, he said it would take them 4 and a half hours at 90 bucks an hour to do the sides. He told me to get some clear silicone and remove the old caulk and clean with alcohol before putting it on. I have never heard of using silicone before and am concerned about its adhesion. Ideas?
Old 07-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Silicon for the roof-sidewall joint > no - no - no

Only use the Winnebago specified caulk as listed on the sealant specifications for your rig.

Your dealer should know better

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the quick response and for confirming what I suspected. I guess he was trying to save me a nickle or two. Again thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

---I was recently at Lazy Days RV and they suggested recaulking the roof and windows on my 2002 Adventurer. They used a white caulk on the roof, but what looks like a clear silicone on the windows. Don't know if this is okay, but that was their recommendation. Cabindog
cabindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago told me to use clear silicone.

The edges of the front cap popped lose on both sides on the side of the MH. Called Winnebago and they said to use clear silicone and some screws to hold the cap down while the silicone cures. Said to just leave the screws in.

Did this repair two years ago and it still is holding.

Also noticed caulk was coming lose a few places last year on the top where the roof meets the side of the MH. Just cleared out the old caulk (looked like silicone) and recaulked with clear silicone and it also has held so far. Noticed a few weeks ago another area where the old caulk is starting to go so I'll do the same repair to that.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I discovered the hard way on the boat that silicon makes a horrible bedding compound for deck fittings. It will do great for a year or two, then the leaks begin. For the boat, a polyurethane caulk was an excellent choice (3M 4200 or 5200.)

Ed and I are in complete agreement - if windows leak, they need to be removed and the tape sealant removed, and new applied. Caulk applied to the outside is a temporary 'band aid' fix.

Eternabond is a permanent solution for the roof-sidewall joint - the big issue is aesthetics. With full-body paint extending over the roof a little, it wouldn't look great.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

At the factory a few days ago the tech that handled my coach told me the last repair used the wrong caulk AND did not remove all the old caulk, just caulked over some of it (a Winnie dealer south of Ft Worth), and he handed me an extra tube of the side seam caulk to I would know what it is. I asked, "Is it silicone base or urethane base?" knowing at least part of what he should say, and his reply was, "NO! No silicone!" He said it is "urethane-like." What he handed me is Winnie part #094401-04-000 described on the ticket as "sealer-body seam clear" (full body paint coaches call for clear, I think non-full body paint calls for white). The tube tells me it is KOP-R-LASTIC brand "high-performance synthetic rubber sealant/caulk" made by Henry Company Canada Inc in Scarborough, Ontario.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Winnie part #094401-04-000 described on the ticket as "sealer-body seam clear" (full body paint coaches call for clear </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Last October when we had ours done here at the factory they used two tubes of the above P/N sealer and one tube of P/N 131264-03-01A SILICONE-BRT/WHT W/O NOZZLE - for the items on the roof, I think.

Labor hours - 2.20 @ $90/Hr I gladly paid to have Winnebago do it.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

My used coach had clear silicone smeared on every seam and over the windows a sloppy job and then it's growing dark mold under the clear silicone. I've been peeling it off and replacing it with a acetoxy silicone from BOSS products. I'm sure it's been put on some places that don't need it. what a mess.