Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rear wall coming off 2018 Vista

Hello to All,
I have been reading these posts since purchasing my 2018 Vista 29 VE and have considered myself lucky with two small items that have needed to be fixed. Until yesterday, that is, after returning from the dealer for a loose window gasket. Walking around the vehicle I discovered the rear wall coming detached on the bottom on both driver and passenger sides, bottom corners. Has anybody else had this type of problem?
Thank You in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBE87A89-DBB0-495C-9458-1D92FD2261FA.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	170681   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAD252FC-1D81-4577-90C7-BACB36E80CE6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	170682  

Cincyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yikes!
That is scary!!! Can't answer your question but I hope the best for you. Definite call and email with pictures to Winnebago customer service. Now is when you find out how good your dealer is. I'm surprised they didn't catch it
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would get this fixed right away before you get water entering and water damage. There is plywood behind the outer gelcoat on your side wall and back wall and it will absorb moisture and swell and you will start to get delamination as well.

I would cover those separations with tape right away in the mean time. Something like Clear Gorilla Tape so you can still show your warranty service advisor the problem thru the clear tape.

My 2015 Vista has full length aluminum corner moldings that fasten the rear wall to the side walls. In the attached photo you can see vinyl strips in the moldings and behind them are self tapping screws every few inches that screw into metal edge joists in the side wals and rear wall. They snap in the vinyl strips after they place all the screws. Either those corner moldings did not get installed at Forest City when they built your unit, or they changed the Vista design sometime after 2015 and now secure the back wall to the side wall in some new way.

I've attached a photo of what my 2015 looks like. The vortex generators are owner add-ons. The tan duct tape along the bottom of the side wall is an owner repair.

Also, the bumper should be vertically straight not cockeyed. You should have them address that , too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5890.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	170684  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Seems like something bad has happened ? accident in the repair garage? kinda weird it has pulled away on both sides and you never noticed anything before and yes, the bumper also appears to be skewed...either way it definitely needs fixed...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all. Will definitely tape it up tomorrow. Contacted the dealer as soon as I took the pictures. Will give them a day to respond.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

FYI the rear bumper on a Vista is not designed to be stood on or pulled on , IMHO it is just there for appearance.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My 2016 Vista 26he did the same thing as yours only not as extreme. The drivers side looked about like yours. The passenger side was still together. The dealer, at , Winnebagos direction, took the rear all apart. They said screws that are used to put the corners together were over torqued and snapped off. They repaired both driver and passenger side rear corners and recaulked everything. I have had no trouble since. Was about a four hour repair that I waited for. The issue thankfully occurred during the warranty period.
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
1999 chieftain 33

Take this unit back this is a leak big time and by then warranty will be gone. Don't accept nothing short of back being remove and reinstalled with new gaskets and caulking
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I would get this fixed right away before you get water entering and water damage. There is plywood behind the outer gelcoat on your side wall and back wall and it will absorb moisture and swell and you will start to get delamination as well.

I would cover those separations with tape right away in the mean time. Something like Clear Gorilla Tape so you can still show your warranty service advisor the problem thru the clear tape.

My 2015 Vista has full length aluminum corner moldings that fasten the rear wall to the side walls. In the attached photo you can see vinyl strips in the moldings and behind them are self tapping screws every few inches that screw into metal edge joists in the side wals and rear wall. They snap in the vinyl strips after they place all the screws. Either those corner moldings did not get installed at Forest City when they built your unit, or they changed the Vista design sometime after 2015 and now secure the back wall to the side wall in some new way.

I've attached a photo of what my 2015 looks like. The vortex generators are owner add-ons. The tan duct tape along the bottom of the side wall is an owner repair.

Also, the bumper should be vertically straight not cockeyed. You should have them address that , too.

Randy, how do you like the Vortex Generators? Did they make a difference? Just wondering, don't mean to hijack this thread.
The OP has enough problems already...........this has to be really frustrating..........wishing him the best!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

> Vortex generators

Airtabs. I like. They reduce the tail sway and help keep my towed car cleaner. Supposedly they also slightly improve fuel economy but personally I could not see a difference.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Exclamation

***Please keep this thread on topic and take the Vortex Generator discussion to another. Thanks.***
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Just an update, the dealer says all will be covered by the warranty, still waiting to see what “all” entails.?Covered the gaps with the Gorilla Tape and the bumper is at an angle due to different sized spacers design change I guess. Thank You all for your ideas and recommendations.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyman View Post
Just an update, the dealer says all will be covered by the warranty, still waiting to see what “all” entails.?Covered the gaps with the Gorilla Tape and the bumper is at an angle due to different sized spacers design change I guess. Thank You all for your ideas and recommendations.
Glad to hear they will make it right for you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote