Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Rear TV sattelite hookup

I have a 2017 View with 2 TVs. The rear TV has a HDMI cable attached to it but there is no feed or switch for it in the front compartment so we can watch our DISH in the sleeping compartment. The front unit has a feed that you just plug in the HDMI cable from the satellite box( easy setup), but the rear has none or switch to feed the rear TV. The wiring diagram for the 24G View shows a switch where the HDMI cables are plugged in. I cannot find any switch. I took off the cover where the HDMI cable is plugged in and I see only one cable. Now I asked an online tech and he said it could be anywhere(huh?) Can anyone help? I am thinking maybe behind a panel where the controls are, in the back side compartment
ds1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That sounds like a good story from a guy who really doesn't care to find out!!!
So we learn to do it ourself, huh?
So is this the drawing you have looked at?
https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2017/000182321.pdf
Looking at page three lower end, I see an HDMI connection (located above radio?) and looks like there should be an HDMI cable off the rear of that going to a splitter. One lead off the splitter goes to a TV and the other to the bedroom TV?
So if Dish is plugged to the connection /HDMI wall plate, it doesn't come out both at the front and bedroom TV?
Or am I just missing communitactions with what you are seeing? This communications stuff is harder than it might seem!!
If you need to get to the splitter, I might pull the cover and tug on the wiring a bit to see if it is not located just a short distance away. Splitters I've seen in RV are sometimes not even attached but just hanging on the coax and might assume the same for HDMI....
ASSUME can get us in trouble but sometimes it's the best we get.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On looking more, it seems to show HDMI splitters on page one, bottom right corner view AA seems to show them behind a TV??? Hard to relate drawings to unit without seeing and checking what I think I see matches what is really there!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help! Yes the splitter is what I am after. I pulled the cable and it disappears in the side behind the front tv. I am going to try to remove the panel in the back of the control panel( storage area) and see if it is there, which is also behind the rear tv.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you are on the right path. Sorry about the vague location bit but it is one of those details that show on drawings but don't show HOW to get to it. I found my splitter for the coax quite by accident as I was tracing the RCA leads. Took off a metal panel at the side of the compartment over the cab and the thing fell out!
Unfortunately the wiring had been caught and may have been pulled too hard against something metal where it is now one wire open and two shorted together! Jammed and no way to use it to pull in new wiring, I had to cut it off and abandon that idea. In my case, the problem was caused by a shop adding an electrical outlet and drilling into wrap the RCA cord around the drill bit!
We will hope you have better luck!!
Keep an open mind on where the Dish Waley has to be located as it works fine without having to be exposed since it uses RF instead of needing the remote pointed at the eye. I wound up sticking it under the cabinet and up into a void above the trashcan! Worked out better than using space in a cabinet since I never need to access it except for install.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't see any HDMI splitter at the rear but I "think" I can see a panel to remove behind the 28 inch TV and perhaps below the three outlets for COAX, HDMI and power that are on the left side. Perhaps a small metal plate of some type with little hard to see screws?
Two pics I'm looking at for info. First is looking at the front TV from high and right side, showing the outlets and cover plate. Second is a different view as if you were laying down looking at the bottom of the TV ( with feet out the wall!!!) showing two HDMI splitters but I can't see how high, etc. but they should be close?
One set from the DVD player and the other from the HDMI plate to connect Dish, so be sure to find the right one? Shows them labeled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmi access.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	172109   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV bottom.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	172110  

Old 08-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes it looks like that location is behind the Stereo System .
Old 08-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'm an old drawing/print reading guy and there are always new ways of showing things on drawings, so that leave me "using" you folks as a way to train myself on the Winnebago drawings!
Maybe it helps you guys and maybe I get some experience but it is lots harder doing it remote. Normally I get a stack of drawings and stand in front of some equipment where I can look at things and sort the drawings until I see something I recognize!

Still not sure I can see a stereo there but if you see one, I'm good with that !
Good luck with getting to the splitter.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On the drawing 1 View AA shows a view from the bottom of the Main TV. It shows the two HDMI splitters. Unfortunately there is a Jensen Stereo /DVD player (as seen on drawing 3) on the bottom part of the compartment. It looks like 4 screws to remove it from the front.
What a pain. You would think these would be behind the HDMI jack cover.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I might ask, how much you need to get to them? Does it seem one is open or just looking for a place to get to the HDMI? Reason for asking is that we might find a way to test if it is open by looking/testing at the end in the bedroom. This is not going to help if you are needing to tie in, though! May be a case where they assumed one would never need to those.
You know what they say about assume! Good luck, I'm going to be out of pocket off and on but it sounds like you are well underway.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I found the splitters

The splitters were underneath the Jensen stereo attached to the bottom of the shelf. The top of the stereo enclosure can Be opened but the unit has to be removed to get to the splitters. The splitters are powered and can be used to troubleshoot the problems(led light). My problem was the actual hdmi cable ends. They had a special angled connectors at the TV end. Both were defective. I pulled in 2 new cables and attached to the TV while off the mounting bracket. I moved the splitters to the side of the stereo which can be accessed by 4 screws. Now I can watch sattelite TV or DVDs in the bedroom and the front room tv. At the same time.