Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Re-upholstery

Has anyone ever attempted to upgrade and re-upholster their MH on their own? Ours is a little dated and I would like to upgrade the fabric and I have already replaced the light fixtures, the drawer/cabinet handles, and the hinges. I was trying to figure out how to remove the valances, but I failed that IQ test. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

I have yet to try to remove the headboard, and I can only imagine how I will do with that test. Any guidance here would be appreciated too!

Although I know I won't have an issue with the sewing part of the upgrade, I think I will have an issue with trying to find a new shower door replacement, any suggestions?
Kaylinsgigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I should mention it is a 03 Itasca Sunova... that might help with the guidance
Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Winnebago tends to use screws to hold the valences up. Some times they use screws to hold the shades to the valence and they go through the valence into the wood above and have to be removed before the valence screws can be removed. That is what I have.

Sometimes they use clips to hold the shades up. I don't know if the screws holding the clips have to be removed or not.
The screws are often hard to find because of the fabric. In my case they are close to the wall because they go into a wood strip in the bottom of the cabinets under a false floor.

We redid all of our valances with new fabric when we installed MCD shades and upholstered all of our furniture including the captains chairs with Ultra Leather Plus.

In both cases my wife used the fabric removed as a pattern.

It was a lot of work for us amateurs but she did a great job and it all looks great.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have recovered the valances in two MH's. The screws point up in the valance and usually there is a screw at the bottom on each side. When we did ours we did not remove the material which was already there, this made it look a little fuller. We also made valances to match the ones in the front for over the windshield and side windows. We did the bedroom in different colors and material to give the coach some definition from living room to bedroom. GO BUY a electric stapler trust me! Be aware that fabric that stretches works better and also look at the fabric turned 180* from itself. This will change the look in some drasticaly. We marked the "top" of the roll with a sharpie to keep it turned the same. Have fun!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Winnebago tends to use screws to hold the valences up. Some times they use screws to hold the shades to the valence and they go through the valence into the wood above and have to be removed before the valence screws can be removed. That is what I have.

Sometimes they use clips to hold the shades up. I don't know if the screws holding the clips have to be removed or not.
The screws are often hard to find because of the fabric. In my case they are close to the wall because they go into a wood strip in the bottom of the cabinets under a false floor.

We redid all of our valances with new fabric when we installed MCD shades and upholstered all of our furniture including the captains chairs with Ultra Leather Plus.

In both cases my wife used the fabric removed as a pattern.

It was a lot of work for us amateurs but she did a great job and it all looks great.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We have recovered the valances in two MH's. The screws point up in the valance and usually there is a screw at the bottom on each side. When we did ours we did not remove the material which was already there, this made it look a little fuller. We also made valances to match the ones in the front for over the windshield and side windows. We did the bedroom in different colors and material to give the coach some definition from living room to bedroom. GO BUY a electric stapler trust me! Be aware that fabric that stretches works better and also look at the fabric turned 180* from itself. This will change the look in some drasticaly. We marked the "top" of the roll with a sharpie to keep it turned the same. Have fun!
Thanks so much! Can you tell me where I can get the material from? I searched online, but I have no idea which is a good site.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We went to a fabric store locally so we could see and feel the fabric. Previously we had a rug inlaid into the carpet, we took a small piece with us and chose fabric that went with those colors. The rug has a southwestern look with earth tones we ordered from Home Depot. Our original interior was three colors of bland oatmeal and beige. While we had the valances down we swapped the string blinds with MCD blinds and are VERY happy with them.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
We went to a fabric store locally so we could see and feel the fabric. Previously we had a rug inlaid into the carpet, we took a small piece with us and chose fabric that went with those colors. The rug has a southwestern look with earth tones we ordered from Home Depot. Our original interior was three colors of bland oatmeal and beige. While we had the valances down we swapped the string blinds with MCD blinds and are VERY happy with them.
Got it! I'm excited now! Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
While we had the valances down we swapped the string blinds with MCD blinds and are VERY happy with them.
We did the valences when we did the fabric to Ultra Leather furniture upgrade but in any case aren't MCD shades great?
They even provide noticeable insulation in the winter as well as the summer.