Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

RC Comfort issue

Have a 2015 Adventurer with 2 HVAC units. Already had to replace the rear unit. Now, the thermostat shows both zones, and will show AC(cool) or heat, for each zone like it should but the front unit will not do anything, no fan, no compressor, in heat mode the front unit immediately turns on the gas heat, and the rear brand new unit only runs the fan. No compressor. Have read the "lockout" issues on other forums but it is not locked out, does not show "00" or anything like it. It also does not have an internal fuse to pull, though I have disconnected it, let it sit, turned power off to the coach, disconnected the batteries and reconnected, all with no impact. Having trouble believing that 3 total units could go bad inside of 24 months but.....any suggestions on next steps? Using the amp gauge the rear unit pulls 3( used to pull 16 or 17 when the compressor is on) and the front pulls nothing. Which makes sense. I am going to check the terminals up top but thought I would see if anyone had a similar issue or suggestion.
Thanks for taking the time to read...
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually when units go like that its due to low voltage issues at campgrounds. I had those issues with quick failure of AC components until I put a Hughes Autoformer (Voltage Booster) in my coach over 10 years ago. Coach is now going on 17 years old now and I have not had any electrical components fail aside from light bulbs.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

RC Comfort Issues

Downside is the rig has been plugged into my home which has 50 amp service installed, and have a whole house surge protection system along with a unit on the rig itself so not sure it is a low voltage issue, but will check that out also. Thanks for the reply.
Wolfyukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Surge protection usually only protects against high voltage spikes and not brown outs. The Buck and Boost Transformer to protect a 30 amp service is quite large and heavy while a whole house to model to protect a 100 to 200 amp service could be the size of a washing machine and weigh hundreds of pounds. When voltage goes down amperage drawn goes up along with the operating temperatures of the devices causing them along with the wiring to become heat stressed. This is causes accumulative damage which leads to an eventual premature failure.