Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Range vent

We have a new Winnebago Journey 40R with a split kitchen. The range vent through the wall flaps in the wind while driving, sounding like popcorn popping. Is there a spring loaded vent and cover for this application? This is also the case for the dryer vent.
jonmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

jonmurray, The range vent and the dryer vent are the same style. I added some stick on weight to range vent on our Journey, but it was a different design. Also might try a little stick on weather stripping on the outside to act as a bumper against the outside cover.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The flapping means its operating. If you add weight or modify it, be sure it will open enough to do its job. You could tape it closed when you travel.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I just found this and makes good sense.
We have the annoying flaps on the dryer and convection oven. DW came up with a solution that seems to work. She took one of those rubbery magnets like cheap calenders or advertisements that are meant to go on the fridge. She cut four strips and paired them up so they attracted each other then used double sided tape and put them on the edge ot the frapper and the opening so the flapper was held closed. The magnets are not strong enough to keep the flap closed when the dryer is on but most of the time will stop the annoying flapping when the wind blows. About two inches seems to be the right length
(what do you think)
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Johndale, you have a smart wife.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are two types of range vents.. One has the flapper OUTSIDE the motor home,, the other INSIDE.. The inside one that I have the flapper is made of a material that will not make noise when it flaps so I would not know if it's flapping or not

The outside ones I have seen the flapper is moderatly hard plastic and will indeed make noise.

On those there are two turn locks, one on either side of the flapper... Turn them and the flapper is locked closed. Will not flap.. DO NOT forget to unlock when parked.

(Project of the month on this rig was fixing the )Q@(#$* Range hood.... I have the interior flapper type... With the new fan motor I know it flaps.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two types of range vents.. One has the flapper OUTSIDE the motor home,, the other INSIDE.. The inside one that I have the flapper is made of a material that will not make noise when it flaps so I would not know if it's flapping or not

The outside ones I have seen the flapper is moderatly hard plastic and will indeed make noise.

On those there are two turn locks, one on either side of the flapper... Turn them and the flapper is locked closed. Will not flap.. DO NOT forget to unlock when parked.

(Project of the month on this rig was fixing the )Q@(#$* Range hood.... I have the interior flapper type... With the new fan motor I know it flaps.
This is not true of all the outside vented exhaust flaps. Some do not have the 2 locks on them.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My Vista has two flaps. An aluminum one - part of the hood, and a second, plastic flapper on the outside. The aluminum one is the culprit. Drives me crazy, but I put a little strip of self adhesive gasket on it and no more noise.

You would think that the RV component manufacturers could get some of these things right.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

vent flapping

We have a 2005 Winnie Aspect 26a and the range vent flaps all the time when moving down the road. Duct tape to the rescue. A turn latch is on my list of repairs that never seems to get done. Winnie did not install one when building the unit.
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote