Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have any experience with a flapping range hood vent door? We have a 2004 Adventurer 38R. The vent door for the range exhaust flaps in the slightest wind. It isn't all that loud but it is annoying. Is there a spring that is supposed to keep the door closed when the exhaust fan is off? I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is supposed to keep it shut, I thought I would ask the "pro's" first.

Thanks in advance for any help solving this annoying problem.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Does anyone have any experience with a flapping range hood vent door? We have a 2004 Adventurer 38R. The vent door for the range exhaust flaps in the slightest wind. It isn't all that loud but it is annoying. Is there a spring that is supposed to keep the door closed when the exhaust fan is off? I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is supposed to keep it shut, I thought I would ask the "pro's" first.

Thanks in advance for any help solving this annoying problem.

2004 Adventurer 38R
Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I believe ours just hangs there. Some people will shove a little foam up there to force the flapper closed, but that's a hassle. Ours doesn't make any noise, or if it does, we are used to it

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I modified mine by sticking spots of velcro on the flap and the casing below the flap using the same sex? velcro. I cut a piece of bridging velcro (Other sex) to fit across the two spots locking the flap. To use the flap, I peel the bridge off and leave it stuck to the lower spot.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Paul;

I also have a 38R and I do not hear mine flap even when it's windy. It may be flapping but it's quiet.

Maybe there's a foam seal on the flapper that muffles the noise. If there's foam that would act as a bumper. Possibly your foam has deteriorated.

I'll check mine and get back to you.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. For now I have taped it shut. I like the velcro idea. When I looked at mine it is just a door that swings open and closed. I tried adding a weight to it to see if that would hold it shut, all it did was make it swing open and shut "louder"

2004 Adventurer 38R
Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine made constant noises while travelling so I took a WD40 cap and wedged it in the outside opening. Of course the vent now stays open but doesn't seem to present any problems and is certainly quiet.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #8

Ours flaps, but we don't hear it, and ours (like TomN's) also has foam seal on the base, so when the flap hits it, it is quiet.

We've had 9 different RV's the past 27 years, and this vent design is defenately the most quiet.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You should have 2 little turn tabs on the bottom on each side to turn that keep it closed.
Lee
Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The vent type that Winnebago uses doesn't have any tabs to keep it closed. Ours is so high up - about 10 ft - that turning tabs would be a real pain in the butt.

I've had to jam it open with foam and then I usually leave it open. But when there's a real cold wind, then I have to jam it closed --- and remember to open it when we need to do some cooking.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I was just in some wind last weekend. The flapper definitely makes some noise. Not enough for me to tackle it , but it was enough for me to notice. It hasn't been bad before, so I think it depends on which way the wind is blowing.'
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We noticed that noise right after we took delivery. I muffled it with a strip of foam insulation. I think it's made to insulate around door jambs. It's about 1/8" thick and about 3/8" wide with peel-n-stick on one side. I stuck it to the lower part of the flapper door on the side that makes contact with the sidewall. It's been on there over 3 years and no more noise. It still flaps when it wants to, but doesn't make any noise...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Same problem on our Sightseer, I cut some foam from a swimming noodle and shoved it in to close it. I haven't pulled it out since. I installed a TurboMaxx fan which does a much better job of drawing any cooking smells out anyway. I like the idea of leaving it open though.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you don't even need that vent.
Lee
Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Same issue w/my new 08 Itasca w/ventline rangehood. $125/hr Dealer was clueless and useless.
Solution: I removed 4 screws holding rangehood. (It is awkward bending under the hood to see the screws.)
Once off, remove fans assy for better access to door if desired.
Affix soft foam weatherstrip to free edge of the metal flapper door (ventline placed foam in from the edge where it did not good).
After 15 minutes work, it's 100% quiet.
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote