Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Rain water leaking when parked. '02 Minnie Winnie C

Hi, new owner of this nice motorhome. However, now that the rains have started, we notice a puddle in the drivers footwell. Any common leaks with the E450 chassis? I havent found a trail of water yet so no idea where it is coming from. Higher up the carpet on the firewall seems dry but I would expect it to be. Pulled the cowl cover at the wipers and all dry there. Found several mentions of leaks in the Ford truck forums but nothing but dead links to some recall.
Any help will be appreciated.
jhunter936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Itasca Owners

I would look for leaks in the bunk area over the cab. The seems where the sides join the front and bottom and around any windows are common leak areas.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter936 View Post
Hi, new owner of this nice motorhome. However, now that the rains have started, we notice a puddle in the drivers footwell. Any common leaks with the E450 chassis? I havent found a trail of water yet so no idea where it is coming from. Higher up the carpet on the firewall seems dry but I would expect it to be. Pulled the cowl cover at the wipers and all dry there. Found several mentions of leaks in the Ford truck forums but nothing but dead links to some recall.
Any help will be appreciated.

Pull the black plastic stepwell cover and check for openings in the stamped steel bottom of the well. I pulled mine while looking for wiring that connect the chassis system to the coach and discovered a couple openings that were directly behind the front wheel. Some dirt and evidence of water intrusion were visible and I suspected it was caused by splash water from the front tire which entered through those holes in the stamping. I used some Gorilla Tape to seal those larger holes while allowing a couple smaller ones to remain open to allow stepwell drainage. There may have originally been rubber plugs in those larger holes but somehow they may have been removed. So far it seems to have worked, no more water/dirt intrusion.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

'02 Minnie leak on driver side

We have an '02 Minnie and I have had a leak on the drivers side under the dash. It rusted the fuse box which I cleaned and repaired. Never really found cause, but sealed up wires coming through the firewall to the fuse box. I used electricians putty. Seemed to fix problem. Hope you resolve your.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Front overhead seams and marker light seals would be the first places to check.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
DLH

I have a 2014 E450 Itasca Cambia and also found the divers side carpet wet after rain.
Doing alot of forum seaches I did not find any help. I peeled the carpet back on the driver side and ran a water hose over the windshield. Water was entering above the fuse box on the inside. When Ford robots apply the seam sealer , they miss a spot in the very upper left corner where the panels come together ( you can see it). This can not be repaired from the outside unless the driver front fender is remove. After peeling the carpet back, I peeled the inside firewall insulation back, removed the emergency brake pedal assembly. Top left front panel showed lack of seam sealer and water intrusion while running a hose over windshield. I cleaned the area with spray carburetor cleaner, then apply Dicor non sagging roof sealant with caulking gun and forcing in with finger. This project is a little tough but worked great and no more puddles. Hope this helps. Never posted on this forum before and do not know how to post pics from my phone. Good luck
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH View Post
I have a 2014 E450 Itasca Cambia and also found the divers side carpet wet after rain.
Doing alot of forum seaches I did not find any help. I peeled the carpet back on the driver side and ran a water hose over the windshield. Water was entering above the fuse box on the inside. When Ford robots apply the seam sealer , they miss a spot in the very upper left corner where the panels come together ( you can see it). This can not be repaired from the outside unless the driver front fender is remove. After peeling the carpet back, I peeled the inside firewall insulation back, removed the emergency brake pedal assembly. Top left front panel showed lack of seam sealer and water intrusion while running a hose over windshield. I cleaned the area with spray carburetor cleaner, then apply Dicor non sagging roof sealant with caulking gun and forcing in with finger. This project is a little tough but worked great and no more puddles. Hope this helps. Never posted on this forum before and do not know how to post pics from my phone. Good luck

Well done! I haven't noticed this issue with my 2016 Minnie Winnie but once she's out of winter storage I plan to check this out.

Tags
leak, water, water leak