Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I recently had some work done of our 36G Meridan with the Cat C7 and was advised to have the radiators steam cleaned and the slobber tube extended. This was done and I was very pleased to find that the Allison transmission temps ran quite a bit cooler -- about 145 degrees vs 180 before. After this, I also had the fluid changed. Plus, the diesel fuel residue that my toad used to be covered with, was gone!

I bought my coach used and apparently, the radiators had not been cleaned before. I plan to clean them every 6 months or so from now on.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I recently had some work done of our 36G Meridan with the Cat C7 and was advised to have the radiators steam cleaned and the slobber tube extended. This was done and I was very pleased to find that the Allison transmission temps ran quite a bit cooler -- about 145 degrees vs 180 before. After this, I also had the fluid changed. Plus, the diesel fuel residue that my toad used to be covered with, was gone!

I bought my coach used and apparently, the radiators had not been cleaned before. I plan to clean them every 6 months or so from now on.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good idea! I had not cleaned the radiator on my 34H Meridian for three years and this summer had several engine overheating problems. At one point I took the air compressor line from the generator compartment and blew it out...that helped. After returning home from a trip from AZ to WI and back I soaked the radiator with simple green, both sides, and then flushed it out with water. I couldn't believe the crud that came out of it. My next item is to extend the slobber tube.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Rick,

How did they or you get to the front of the radiator? I dread the thought of having to go at it from under the bed.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Rick,

How did they or you get to the front of the radiator? I dread the thought of having to go at it from under the bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can be done, I did it (didn't tell the DW). I removed both engine access lids under the bed, spread a couple of drop cloths on the carpet around the bed, and brought the water hose in thru the window. Was pretty easy to soak the rad, fan shroud, fan blades with Simple Green then wash it with the hose. In fact, while I was there, I used Gunk on the entire engine, followed by more Simple Green. It looked new when I got done. Never had a problem with the coach overheating.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Timely post. I just did our coach yesterday. Used Simple Green from the front and the back and PLENTY of water. I hooked our hose to the hot water line from the garage. Accessed the back from the access panel in the rear closet. The same access panel used to get to the greese fitting for the fan pully. Ours is a 39' Journey so I'm sure different locations for different models. The slobber tube has been extended when we bought it new in 2003. Don't know if the dealer did it or the factory, but it extends way below the radiator. Flushed a lot of dirt and our coach has never overheated. Normally runs 188-193 degrees.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Do you mind posting what you were charged for the cleaning? I would love to have ours done too.

Thanks.

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I got my radiator cleaned at a reduced cost -- about $250 as I recall, but we got a significant break on the cost because the fan hub bearing failed (made one heck of a racket!) and that repair was covered under warranty. I also had the coolant changed (at more $$) while we were at it.

I asked about doing the cleaning myself using Simple Green and was told that it is a great idea, but mine was so badly plugged it needed a full steam cleaning. Apparently, the oil residue from the slobber tube combined with dust really packed into the radiator. You can bet I will now make sure I clean it inside and out with Simple Green a couple times a year. I was told to pull the access panels and spray away from inside just as described by SMLRANGER.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I used simple green to clean my boat. The gas tank was below the floor and the simple green leaked down into the compartment and caused the tank to corrode and fail. This leaked fuel into the bilge an could have blown up . Simple Green is caustic to aluminum and will damage your radiator if it is not completely rinsed off. Be careful.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote