Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Quirky Speedometer - Foreshadow bigger trouble?

Hello:
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y speedometer stopped working last Monday when resuming our trip after a 30 minute rest area stop. Hmmmm. All other gauges performed as expected - no issues.

Then on Thursday when resuming our trip after a 3 day stopover the speedometer resumed working - UNTIL - we stopped for lunch about 3 hours into the trip. Engine was shut down.

And then we stopped for diesel about 2 hours later (engine shut down during fueling) and when we started up the speedometer performed its job again.

My short-term fix was to set up my older Garmin Nuvi and manage my speed using it. (The RV Garmin we use has the same feature but my navigator has that closer to her so not quite in an easy line of sight for me.)

Whether the speedometer was working or not I was able to use cruise control. There was no 'jumpiness' in the speedometer gauge - just sat there at 0 mph when not working.

Maintenance is up to date with fluids and filters done prior to late Winter Florida trip.

My questions:
- Is this issue indicative of other forthcoming gauge issues?
My reading says this is an isolated circuit and not connected to any other gauges so I should not worry. Is this correct?

-Loose connection developed? If this, where do I look to reseat it or replace it as a DIY effort.

- Is this an early indication of any issue with the Allison transmission?

Thanks for any insight you might have.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I experienced issues with my air pressure gauges jumping all around. After a few discussions and some YT videos turns out that all of the gauges on your freightliner panel are connected in a multiplex series arrangement. If you pull the back off of your gauge cluster you will see twisted wires running from gauge to gauge. Evidently there was a very quiet recall on these multiplex wires and there is a set of new wires (black in color) that are a heavier gauge or something. I ordered a set from Freightliner, at about $127, replaced then all and never had anther issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Echo Tim's experience on our rig about three years ago. We were somewhere north of west b'god and stopped at a Freightliner place. They couldn't get us in for a few days but suggested we "wiggle the twisted gauge wires". We did, it worked, but needed an occaisional refresh.

Took our rig to WWWilliams here in Tucson for a trans fluid change. Mentioned the problem. They were aware of the Freightliner recall. They installed a new harness (ours is white twisted wire) no cost under the recall. I've heard others say that Freightliner themselves balk at honoring the recall. Campfire gossip.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I tried to get mine covered, didn't work. Relatively inexpensive repair considering the cost of most .aintenance items on a DP.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yep. At your $127, much less than an hours labor at Freightliner. BTW, we have very similar paint schemes. If you ever decide if it is green, brown, gold or whatever, let us know. We are perplexed. :-))
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Not sure about yours, but on our Journey that color is a vinyl graphic. Kinda weird the way they did it. The white appears to be the base coat gel coat with the main brown painted on top of that. The rest of the swooshes are vinyl. Really wish we had the full body paint.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

There are many speedometer apps for cell phones.
Farco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

This is true as well as using the GPS for speed. However, if it is the multiplex cables that are the culprit, other guages will start failing as well.