Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

How difficult is it to change this yourself? Can any problems be anticipated?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

How difficult is it to change this yourself? Can any problems be anticipated?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's a knuckle-buster. I looked at mine and based on it's location and my particular mood at the time, I paid my RV mechanic to do it. On my chassis (likely same as yours, just a bit shorter), you could not remove the cannister from the base without removing the entire assembly from the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had my Meridian in to the local Freightliner dealer for an oil change and annual maintenance. I asked about the dessicant filter. The mechanic asked if I pulled the air tank dump valve lanyards periodically. I said yes. He then asked if I ever got any water out. I said no, never. He said then your dessidcant cartridge is working perfectly, don't change it until you start getting water out of the dump valves, never mind the mileage. Seemed like good advice.
Rich
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We also have a 39' Journey, although it is the 39W. I changed mine this past summer and I did not need to remove the housing. It took about 20 minutes. It is a little tight fit, but not a major issue. I believe the 39' chasis has more room or the dryer is in a different location than the 36' chasis. FYI, there was a post on this issue a few months back. Do a search and you may find more info. I will certainly perform this change again myself when the time comes. You need a BIG strap wrench though to get around the dryer.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I do all of the periodic maintenance myself, but I am not looking to this. Mine is mounted just back of the rear axle up high on the driver's side but it is a sealed canister that has several bolts to remove before it will come apart to reach the filter. Tech at Forest City said the unit had to be removed from the vehicle to get to the filter itself. Wish it was as simple as spinning off a canister.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tech at Forest City said the unit had to be removed from the vehicle to get to the filter itself. Wish it was as simple as spinning off a canister.
Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is consistent with my assessment and what my RV guy told me. He said he could not get the cannister off without removing the entire assembly. Must be unique to 36' and shorter coaches since Florida Guy didn't have any problems spinning it off.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I was warned by my maintenance shop to make sure the dessicant filter along with the coalescent filter is changed at the recommended time interval (18 months or 36 months, depending which type you have) as these filters are known to disintegrate over time, infiltrating the air brake system. Once this happens, you have a real maintenance headache on your hands.

So mileage intervals may not be as important as time intervals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

One mechanic says to change at exact time and another says not till you get water out of the drain valves on the tanks. No wonder we're so confused all the time, who are we to believe. After 3 gas MHs this is my first DP and I've never heard so many differences of opinion when it comes to maintenace interval for chassis, engine, transmission, and drive gear. Its a wonder we don't have more problems than we do.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Maintenance intervals stated by the manufacturers are based on worst case scenarios. Fluid and filter changes at those imtervals will help insure you do not have problems and help insure that other things are being looked at on a regular basis. Conspiracy theorists will probably conclude that regular, seemingly short interval maintenance actions are generated purely for profit but I would dispute that.

Extended maintenance based on experience and other testing such as oil analysis can and are being used but those who do so realize there may be warranty implications.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have owned a diesel pusher now for 6 years, and they are NOT simple to maintain. Nor do the manuals make it easy to figure out what the service intervals are. I finally put together an Excel spreadsheet with all the appropriate time/mileage intervals for maintenance to keep me honest. I had to pull the transmission info from the Allison book --- the engine info from the CAT book -- the air brake info from the Freightliner book --- etc.

Why can't Freightliner put this together on one page for us to make it easy? With this day and age of computers/barcodes/configuration control in manufacturing, it would be very easy to follow the chassis thru manufacturing, with the appropriate bill of materials for that specific chassis, and generate a maintenance schedule from that -- then print it out on a digital printer. The technology exists, so why not make it easy for diesel owners?? (Freightliner -- are you listening?) And yes, I have seen the pages regarding M1, M2, M3, but they are not specific to your chassis configuration.

I bet more than 50% of diesel owners do not maintain their chassis the way the suppliers and manufacturers want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote