Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Question: Have you applied Eternabond on Roof to Sidewall Seam?

I am planning to apply 2 inch Eternabond tape on the roof to sidewall seam above the J channel gutter. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have previously used Eternabond in this application.

1. Do you recommend placing the bottom edge of the Eternabond tape in the bottom of the gutter channel as Arrow B or to top edge of the J channel as in Arrow A in the attached photo.

2. Did you press and smooth the tape down into the gutter or up out of the gutter?

2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I am planning to apply 2 inch Eternabond tape on the roof to sidewall seam above the J channel gutter. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have previously used Eternabond in this application.

1. Do you recommend placing the bottom edge of the Eternabond tape in the bottom of the gutter channel as Arrow B or to top edge of the J channel as in Arrow A in the attached photo.

2. Did you press and smooth the tape down into the gutter or up out of the gutter?

use the search function and search for eternabond tape, a post by dunnpe, 11-08-09.
he has diagrams and there are pictures in related posts.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dan L,

I searched for the post you mentioned and could not find it.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not sure this is what was referred to, but try this link: here
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Rex .... I think it references the wrong issue. Here they are discussing installing sealant between the roof and the J channel. You are asking about the overlap on the outside of the J channel.

I am about to undertake the same project as you are and I intent to go the the bottom of the J channel (B) to get as much grip on it as possible and use a screen roller to roll it out and activate the adhesive.
Hopefully I won't have to mess with it again Did you sand the area where the tape is to be installed down or prime it? Something changed the color in the picture
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Harry,

This photo was taken just before sundown and there are are lot of reflections. I have not prepped the area. If you look down the channel you can see a piece of Eternabond I was using to see how it would look on full body paint. I actually think the black stripe will look OK. Here is another photo.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I ran mine down into the gutter. Installed three years ago. Still works well and looks good today. Just make sure you clean surface well first. Some say a second person helping is nice to have, however I had no problem doing mine myself. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Becks,

Did you press and smooth down from the top of the tape downward into the gutter?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

LK23
A great picture showing the J channel and I was having the same questions as you.
What method of getting yourself up that high to do the job. A step ladder, moving it along as you go, can you work from thr roof? A scaffolding arrangement would be best but impractical for me.
Please if you can post some pictures of your project as you progress .
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

LK23.....Remove only a small amount of the paper backing as you go, as the eternabond is very sticky. Holding the section ready to be laid down in my right hand, I simply used the little finger of my left hand to guide it into the gutter. The key is to really take your time and make sure you have it lined up just right because once its stuck its not moveable. Its not as hard to do as people think. Once laid down I just pressed it firmly to seat it good. Other than having sore hands when done, I was and still am very happy with my job. I have since helped a friend do his with the same great results. Have at it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I ordered 2 each "Mini-Rolls" from Eternabond at: RV Leak Repair Tapes & Sealants | EternaBond

EternaBond RV-EMT Mini-Rolls are 4' long and 2" wide, and are available in 4 different colors. I think that might be just the ticket for my coach.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
LK23
A great picture showing the J channel and I was having the same questions as you.
What method of getting yourself up that high to do the job. A step ladder, moving it along as you go, can you work from thr roof? A scaffolding arrangement would be best but impractical for me.
Please if you can post some pictures of your project as you progress .
I plan to use a six foot high scaffold and move the RV as I apply the Eternabond. I will probably do this project in May. I will post photos after it is completed.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I plan to use a six foot high scaffold and move the RV as I apply the Eternabond. I will probably do this project in May. I will post photos after it is completed.
That is with out a doubt the best way.
there is an equipment rental yard nearby my storage facility that just might have something like that.
Is that what you propose to do?
Well it is definitly in my immediate future.; I just had my roof sealant inspected, and the tech said it was OK but just getting a bit chalky???
I guess I could clean it up real good and apply the eternabond without removing and re-appling new.
Looking foreward to the pics. thanks
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I applied mine like Beck said --- first clean the area real good. Then only remove about 6 inches of the backing at a time and press it into the J channel first --- make sure you are alligned as you will not move it once it touches the coach. Then I smoothed upwards and towards the roll of unused tape. I used an 8 foot step ladder and moved it as I went along -- took me the better part of a day to clean and apply both sides of the coach. I did it three years ago and have had no problems with it.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I have read of two methods of application: 1) As previously mentioned, start with the J channel and smooth upwards, and 2) Mark a line down the coach for the top edge of the tape and apply there smoothing downwards.

It may not make any difference and both may work equally well. Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

LK, We used a section of construction scaffolding and moved the coach as necessary. Cleaned the area with paint thinner and apllied the eternabond and used a paint stirrer to push in the gutter and a 2 " roller to press to the top working fore and aft.
It will just fit in the gutter nicely and use the stirrer to make a good contact and then the roller. Work fore and aft. Striping as much backing as you are comfortable with. We did two Moho in about 4 hours. When you have done one side simply turn the coach around and do the other. Never have to move the scaffold..Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
LK, We used a section of construction scaffolding and moved the coach as necessary. Cleaned the area with paint thinner and apllied the eternabond and used a paint stirrer to push in the gutter and a 2 " roller to press to the top working fore and aft.
It will just fit in the gutter nicely and use the stirrer to make a good contact and then the roller. Work fore and aft. Striping as much backing as you are comfortable with. We did two Moho in about 4 hours. When you have done one side simply turn the coach around and do the other. Never have to move the scaffold..Good Luck
ichn2go,

Using that method, did you have any problems keeping the top edge straight?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I've thought of doing this exact same thing. Would it be better to use one long roll (applying only a little at time, but in one continuous 40' long piece) or in short pieces (and having to fit them together with seams)? Seems like one piece would be better, but would that be really hard?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I used a full roll, worked fine. I just un-rolled as I went down the entire length.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I used a long roll --- started at the front and then only took the backer off of about 6" at a time -- apply the 6" and then take the backing off of the next 6" -- it takes a while but, that is what I would recommend doing. If you cut individual short pieces, the seams would show --- no matter what you did.