Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Getting my rig ready for some service tomorrow and started it up this evening. I am hearing what sounds like a loud aquarium pump from the front. I opened the access cover and it seems to be coming from an assembly to the upper right. Do the Hadley's have their own air pump and is this it?

Maybe this thing is on all the time but it is the first time I've heard the noise. Eveything works, good air pressure, horns work.

Any ideas??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Getting my rig ready for some service tomorrow and started it up this evening. I am hearing what sounds like a loud aquarium pump from the front. I opened the access cover and it seems to be coming from an assembly to the upper right. Do the Hadley's have their own air pump and is this it?

Maybe this thing is on all the time but it is the first time I've heard the noise. Eveything works, good air pressure, horns work.

Any ideas??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I too have that noise. It seems to be coming from a vacume pump. I've had it for a year or two. It only sounds like a pump when the inside heat and air control is off. When the fan or heat and ac are on the noise goes away. Just had some other work done and they found a vac leak. Have not noticed if the noise is still there. I also have an 02 Journey but an LD.
D and S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That is a vacuum pump which keeps a vacuum for your ac/heat controls. There is a vacuum chamber which it pulls the air out of and the line going to the vacuum controls also comes out of it. If the pump is running continuously then you have a vacuum leak.

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys. I'm taking the rig for some pre-trip service today and will ask my mechanic to check it out.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I went through this "search" mission a couple of months ago.

Pop the gen access door. Look on the firewall in front of the passenger. There is a black sphere about the size softball mounted there.

Check the tubing going into the "ball". There is a small tube that is attached with a piece of windshield washer tubing. Mine was split and had come loose. Upon replcig that on inh piece of small tubing thep ump quit almost immediately.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Excude the typos in the previous response. My keyboard batteries went dead.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
I went through this "search" mission a couple of months ago.

Pop the gen access door. Look on the firewall in front of the passenger. There is a black sphere about the size softball mounted there.

Check the tubing going into the "ball". There is a small tube that is attached with a piece of windshield washer tubing. Mine was split and had come loose. Upon replcig that on inh piece of small tubing thep ump quit almost immediately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I did look quickly this morning for any obvious leaks but did not have much time. I did notice, however, that when the Heat/AC control is in the 'Off' position, the pump runs continuously. If I switch to any other position, the pump shuts off. I think the control is the problem but my RV guy will be checking it.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

smlranger....it is the vacuum pump...Fixed mine by following the green plastic vacuum line under the hood to the coolant mix valve for the heater core..the green line is attached to that valve by a small piece of black vacuum hose which rots out....
to test, turn key to on position and remove the green line at the valve and put your finger over the line, if the pump stops, it is this line and the rubber hose...replace the black hose on test....
if not this line, follow the blue line to the heater black box on the left side of the firewall... the blue line attaches underneath the box in the same manner.... test it the same way....
if not this hose, start at the vacuum pump and remove and plug each hose till the pump stops.....you may have to pull the dach cover and test inside....good luck...I am betting it is the green line...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I experienced the exact same problem about 2 months ago. It is a vaccum leak but I have not found the source as yet. I just pulled the power from the pump so it would not continue to run and fail. It is not absolutely required for operation. Let us know what you find as source.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've recently developed the same symptom of the vacuum pump running continuously when the dash heat/AC switch is OFF. Gary, can you provide a follow-up on what was done to fix yours? Thanks...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

On mine the fix was simple. There was a short piece of rubber tube that connects a plastic elbow to the vacuum controlled valve (Evans valve, I believe) which is near the heater core. That little hose was split causing the leak. I replaced the 1/2" section of hose and problem solved.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
gMw
Winnebago Owner

smlranger, I had the same problem in the spring, same short black rubber hose leaking. I removed the hose, removed the short metal tube and connected the remaining hose directly to the valve...
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies guys. I had looked at the connections at the pump and the "softball" and found no problem there. I'll try to find the one you're talking about and check it. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Fixed mine today - It was where the green vacuum line attaches to the actuator. Pulled the green line off, blocked it with my finger, and the pump stopped. Inspected the green line and black rubber elbow - they both looked like new. So I just plugged it back into the actuator and the pump stayed off. Apparently it had just jiggled loose so I added a wire tie to stop the jiggles... Thanks for narrowing it down for me.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Can someone post a Pic. of this thing???
Or email me one.

Thanks Don

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Don - sorry I don't have a picture. If your Adventurer pusher is laid out like the Journey, look behind the front "hood". Toward the left side of the opening, you should see the hoses bringing hot water from the engine to the dash heater. There is a vacuum actuated valve on those hoses with a green vacuum tube attached to it. If yours is like mine, the green tube is easy to spot. Just check the end of the green tube and the connection to the actuator. That seems to be where most of the leaks are in the Journeys.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the info, folks. I just replaced that short piece of black hose on the end of the green vacuum line on mine--all better! A little piece of windshield washer hose proved to be the right size (and I've saved the other 11" in my toolbox for future repairs).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

It looks like THIS.
Anyone like to ask why I took this?

I would sure like to have a logic table for when this is supposed to run (draw vacuum).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Jeff - here's the table. And I'll bite, why did you take the picture?